TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

Shazam (like every other DCEU movie) had a big campaign here in S.A.

I obviously have no idea how much it cost but $40 million for a worldwide marketing campaign seems a bit low.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Shazam (like every other DCEU movie) had a big campaign here in S.A.

I obviously have no idea how much it cost but $40 million for a worldwide marketing campaign seems a bit low.

People here just want to praise Shazam. 

I know marketing campaign is low for Shazam. But, believing in 40M is kinda dumb. Any person with right mind can tell that's not correct. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cdsacken said:

It will start affecting by Wednesday the 24th, 21 days into release. Usually the best legs are the late ones. I suspect they will be atrocious for the entire next month following.

That doesn't usually happen. When a big film with the same market opens, there tends to be a one-time drop, after which the legs stabilize on a normal pattern.

Shazam! will probably drop 50-60% when Endgame opens (but most things, sans CM, will probably do that), but subsequent drops will be comparable to what happens in weekend 3.

• Like 1

Titanic had 40m marketing budget

Titanic

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 19, 1997
Domestic Gross: $659,363,944
Prod. Budget: $200 million
Mktng. Budget: $40 million
Running Time: 194 mins.
Genre: Romance
MPAA: PG-13 (disaster related peril and violence, nudity, sensuality and brief language)

11 hours ago, terrestrial said:

The only thing I think I can remember she (he?) is Greek, other letters, and for certain terms other interpretations per translation, especially how strong the meaning of a term can be understood.

Or was that one of the other Greeks here, I think there might be an overlap?

there are many of us here ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Titanic had 40m marketing budget

Titanic

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 19, 1997
Domestic Gross: $659,363,944
Prod. Budget: $200 million
Mktng. Budget: $40 million
Running Time: 194 mins.
Genre: Romance
MPAA: PG-13 (disaster related peril and violence, nudity, sensuality and brief language)

Titanic Release year 1997.🤔🤔🤔🤔

People are really loosing it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neucentro said:

Isn't there a rule of thumb that the breakeven point for a movie is when global sales reaches roughly 3 times the production cost?

In addition to what Barnack already  wrote:

you will also have to look into dom, OS-China, and China splits. China gets the least % back to the 'creator' backer, but also has no local distribution costs.

Also: small distributors have a weaker negotiation points. If exported, translation costs, dubbing or OV per language? A small distributer might have to increase the hardware for film distribution, might still build up. Big distributors usually have a lot of those already.

Advertising can be huge, but for a local story telling $1m budget movie it might be small too.

I look also into chances for HV, TV rights, merchandise. If yes, a rule of thumb of 2.5 can be o.K. too.

If famous actors, producers,... are involved, they get for a small project often only a small payment earlier on, and if a movie gets big, a split of.... whatever the contract says. Happens with the big budgets too.

Sadly also manager managed to get strange direct splits for them into contracts. They should get it per split from their clients, not directly, some repping even production and actors, writers ... of the same project at the same time, those contracts can be very questionable.

In an average BO dom, OS minus China, China split situation, genre nothing too niché,.... a rule of thumb is good. For a non-average material/BO split, or.... it might be needed to look into (a lot) more details.

To put the supposed $40m World Wide P&A spend in perspective - as  of March 31, so not including the last week push the TV ad spend for Shazam! is at an estimated $21.66m.    That's just below WW's ($23.59M) after the w/e it came. Shazam's total after this w/e should be around $26-28m.   Other recent CBM comps for the w/e after release -  AIW ($20.86m) and CM ($34.43m) . None of these movies had a $40m WW P&A budget.  TV ad spend is just a part of P&A expenses. 

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/shazam-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203178303/

Top Movie Commercials by Weekly TV Spend

Data provided by iSpot.tv

$6.69M – Shazam!

Impressions: 317,180,370
Attention Score: 92.18
Attention Index: 98
National Airings: 990
Networks: 50
Most Spend On: CBS, TBS
Creative Versions: 60
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $21.66M
Studio: Warner Bros.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

That doesn't usually happen. When a big film with the same market opens, there tends to be a one-time drop, after which the legs stabilize on a normal pattern.

Shazam! will probably drop 50-60% when Endgame opens (but most things, sans CM, will probably do that), but subsequent drops will be comparable to what happens in weekend 3.

Pikachu though right after. How much that impacts I have no idea. Crazy range for DOM. Some are saying 250 DOM, others are being crazy and suggesting 750 DOM.

Edited by cdsacken

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

To put the supposed $40m World Wide P&A spend in perspective - as  of March 31, so not including the last week push the TV ad spend for Shazam! is at an estimated $21.66m.    That's just below WW's ($23.59M) after the w/e it came. Shazam's total after this w/e should be around $26-28m.   Other recent CBM comps for the w/e after release -  AIW ($20.86m) and CM ($34.43m) . None of these movies had a $40m WW P&A budget.  TV ad spend is just a part of P&A expenses. 

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/shazam-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203178303/

Top Movie Commercials by Weekly TV Spend

Data provided by iSpot.tv

$6.69M – Shazam!

Impressions: 317,180,370
Attention Score: 92.18
Attention Index: 98
National Airings: 990
Networks: 50
Most Spend On: CBS, TBS
Creative Versions: 60
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $21.66M
Studio: Warner Bros.

Mark Hughes trying to get a meeting with an exec to pitch his - probably - shitty scripts. What's new? Saying Shazam! had a $40M marketing budget is embarrassing. End of the day Shazam! will gross less than f'ng Rampage. They can't shill that when end of the year summaries come

Edited by YSLDC
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Mark Hughes trying to get a meeting with an exec to pitch his - probably - shitty scripts. What's new? Saying Shazam! had a $40M marketing budget is embarrassing. End of the day Shazam! will gross less than f'ng Rampage. They can't shill that when end of the year summaries come

Aside from marketing and both were likely $100m+

Rampage

US:  $101m x .55 =  $55.55m

OS-China: $170.6m x.40 = $68.24m

China: $156.38m x .25% = $39.09m

= $162.885m  from theatrical

I'll low ball Shazam! for the sake of your comparison with a $372m WW B.O.

U.S.: $160m  x .55 = $88m

OS-C =$170m x.40 = $68m

China: $42m x.25 = $10.5m

=$166.5m  from theatrical

Shazam! would bring in more theatrical revenue even with $56m less in WW box office and would bring in far larger ancillaries b/c of the size of it's US v China share - with a $20-40m lower budget

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Pikachu though right after. How much that impacts I have no idea. Crazy range for DOM. Some are saying 250 DOM, others are being crazy and suggesting 750 DOM.

As others have noted, Pikachu is from the same studio, so it's less likely to harm Shazam!

WB might not be as into the dual feature sharing as Disney is, but it's possible here. 

Pikachu is more likely to have a detrimental effect on Endgame. And Dumbo. Perhaps especially Dumbo.

42 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I really don't understand this. 

How can someone believe 40m marketing budget is real? 🤔🤔

Shazam will be successful. But saying things like this is crazy. Absolute craziness. 

u sounds like a broken record now..and it's not cute :sparta:

• Haha 1

Just now, boyamama said:

u sounds like a broken record now..and it's not cute :sparta:

I think you ars troll or something. I didn't say anything wrong. 

Do you really believe Shazam P&A budget is 40M?

30 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I think you ars troll or something.

Ironic

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Aside from marketing and both were likely $100m+

Rampage

US:  $101m x .55 =  $55.55m

OS-China: $170.6m x.40 = $68.24m

China: $156.38m x .25% = $39.09m

= $162.885m  from theatrical

I'll low ball Shazam! for the sake of your comparison with a $372m WW B.O.

U.S.: $160m  x .55 = $88m

OS-C =$170m x.40 = $68m

China: $42m x.25 = $10.5m

=$166.5m  from theatrical

Shazam! would bring in more theatrical revenue even with $56m less in WW box office and would bring in far larger ancillaries b/c of the size of it's US v China share - with a $20-40m lower budget

This is exactly what I why I think 375 million won't be bad. If it reaches 400+ like people project its way different than Alita doing 400+. 400 with say 190 DOM in US would be decent profit wise. Also if it can have great holds with nothing good coming out in the next 2 weeks it might reach 145 by the time End Game comes out. Reasonable to assume it can still push out another 25-40 million DOM after that.

Edited by cdsacken