TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Are they actually true theatre counts or screen counts?

Definitely not screen counts. HP DH 2 played on over 11000 screens but theater count was 4200 or something

Edited by cdsacken

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

That's not true, it all depends on hype. Deadpool had hype and Shazam doesn't, so that's why it's doing so bad.

Deadpool also had one of the most brilliant marketing campaigns in recent years (possibly one of the best ever) leading up to the release. I do think both movies rely more on their story and less on the action but I guess the action in Deadpool was more what international audiences were expecting/the story connected more with audiences internationally. 

But I do remember saying over a month ago that WB missed an opportunity in terms of marketing in the sense that they could have marketed Shazam! differently than your typical CBM sort of how Fox marketed Deadpool in a unique way. Mind you this was before any box office numbers were coming in. Regardless of how well Shazam! does or doesn’t do, I still think there was a missed opportunity in giving this movie a unique marketing campaign. I mean the person I watched Shazam! with yesterday had no idea it was a movie let alone it was coming out so....

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamiem said:

That’s true it would be very good in terms of return on investment, I guess my expectations are just bigger given how much I like the film. Also the film feels a lot different than other DCEU films, so if it performs well that might give them the incentive to make more films like this. 

Yeh there’s a reason they got New Line to do this one, it’s smaller. 

3 hours ago, nevermore said:

nice synmetry

Bx9XMzq.png

I wonder if it’ll remain the best reviewed CBM of the year, or Joker could surprise 

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Not the fanboy wars thread, but Shazam’s a lot better than the last 2 live action funnybook movies, despite grossing a lot less

No way. In to the spider verse is fucking awesome :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

How many movies feature a bongo-playing octopus? I rest my case.

Aquaman was the most pure nonsense fun ive had at a superhero film since ... ever? A movies job is to entertain the viewer. By that regard Aquaman delivered absolutely and 1,1B dollars back up my argument pretty well that most audiences would probably call it a very good time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Thor1 pre MCU popularity did 65+ and GOTG1 post MCU popularity did close to 95, WB should have made 55+ ow a breeze for Shazam post big success like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lack of action (if at all that's the case) isn't excuse enough. Thor1 and GOTG1 weren't huge SHs before MCU made them so.

Edited by a2k
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

If Thor1 pre MCU popularity did 65+ and GOTG1 post MCU popularity did close to 95, WB should have made 55+ ow a breeze for Shazam post big success like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lack of action (if at all that's the case) isn't excuse enough. Thor1 and GOTG1 weren't huge SHs before MCU made them so.

definitely the release date was off sandwiched inbetween two huge marvel movies. and it looks fun (seeing it in a couple hours) but also it kinda looks like a tv pilot aesthetically. at least thor and guardians had all the space stuff. i get not rushing out for it.

• Like 2

FRIDAY AM UPDATE following Thursday PM exclusive: New Line/DC’s Shazam is higher than what we saw soaring to $5.9M in U.S./Canada Thursday previews. Add in those paid Fandango sneaks and the DC guy has $9.2M already at the domestic B.O. Nancy will be getting an overseas update in a bit.

Edited by nevermore
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2