TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm still baffled how WB made an Aquaman film make more domestically than most Spider-Man films, and more worldwide than all superhero films sans 5 (soon 6). I think the inflated numbers from that is a big reason this was bound to look like an under-performer.

Even taking out Aquaman the results OS are pretty disappointing. DOM so far looks solid to good.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Because a $9m Thur preview showing for Shazam! would be crowd chaos eh?   :lol:

getting the main fans away from everyone else before the movie opens could be a strategy.  maybe the governemnt is trying to separate die-hards from the mass casual and do mass surveillance census profiles through the movies

Edited by shouldnt have shouldnt be
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

So, maybe there's a limit to how much money can be made out of obscure superheroes? 

Is Guardian of Galaxy / Hancock adjusted the absolute worst case scenario limit ?

48 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I think WB only pulls these previews for movies they think lacks hype. For the likes of Wonder Woman and Batman previews should not be needed at all due to the hype levels being much bigger.

Cause Aquaman was such a failure due to the Prime screenings, it became one of the biggest solo superhero movies.

• Thanks 1

Guys, Shazam! has one half, one third or even one fourth the budget of the big funny book movies so it doesn't need to make that big numbers to be considered successful.

It s easily the cheapest DC film so ...

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Aquaman was definitely not that obscure. He wasn't $1.1 Billion+ popular before his film but definitely more well known than the likes of Shazam, GOTG or Ant-Man

Aquaman was not well known among GA I think, it was the jokes people made out of the character that were famous, no ?

Entourage much ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy says hi.

A lot of Marvel comic fans didn't even know who they were.

That's my point, we have had several obscure superheroes being massive hits in recent years (GotG, Aquaman, Venom etc etc) It has been hit after hit after hit for SH movies, almost regardless of character popularity or reviews. Now, despite the fact that Shazam seems to be getting excellent reviews, the early numbers indicate a relative disappointment. I am pointing out the fact that Shazam seems to be a trend-breaker. 

Aquaman's maybe not as big as the DC Trinity or even The Flash, but he was definitely recognized by most normies. My mother knew who he was before the movie came out, and she's never read a comic book or seen many Marvel or DC movies. He's been in a bunch of cartoons, and for years, he was the butt of a lot of jokes and parodies. Even Cartoon Network (which is owned by Warner) made fun of him back in the day.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

That's my point, we have had several obscure superheroes being massive hits in recent years (GotG, Aquaman, Venom etc etc) It has been hit after hit after hit for SH movies, almost regardless of character popularity or reviews. Now, despite the fact that Shazam seems to be getting excellent reviews, the early numbers indicate a relative disappointment. I am pointing out the fact that Shazam seems to be a trend-breaker. 

Marvel really has no problem at all to make unknown superheroes box office hits. When a universe is connected its much easier to sell in these obscure characters with the audiences. Shazam doesn't have that advantage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Aquaman's maybe not as big as the DC Trinity or even The Flash, but he was definitely recognized by most normies. My mother knew who he was before the movie came out, and she's never read a comic book or seen many Marvel or DC movies. He's been in a bunch of cartoons, and for years, he was the butt of a lot of jokes and parodies. Even Cartoon Network (which is owned by Warner) made fun of him back in the day.

Yeah, Aquaman is much more known than Captain Marvel, Shazam, Black Panther and Guardians of the galaxy. 

Even Teen Titans made fun of Aqualad. 

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Aquaman was not well known among GA I think, it was the jokes people made out of the character that were famous, no ?

Entourage much ?

Outside north america maybe, but he was used for jokes because people would catch the reference.