TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

If Dumbo wasn't directed by one of my favourite directors, and it looked like another Disney conveyor-belt projects I'd be happy with this result. But honestly, it's a lot more artistically colourful and imaginative than a lot of their other stuff, so I'm worried that its performance is going to deter them from taking artistic risks again. 

They hired Lowery to do Peter Pan after Pete's Dragon

Honestly, I wish there was a bit more quality control in the Live Action Dept.  It seems like the directors only report to Horn whereas Marvel, SW, Pixar and WDAS all have their own sub studio heads who provide more direct quality control.  Right now it's largely dependent on the Directors and the choice of whom don't always seem to be the best fit.

Since they're closing Fox 2000 I wonder if they might keep  Elizabeth Gabler and move her into overseeing their Non MCU/SW Live Action projects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

2x for this weekend for Dumbo would give it $109m. Sub-$100m possible if it comes below estimates?

I think it will come under 109 mil but will reach 100 mil because Disney is always really adamant about their movies reaching 100 mil if they are really close. I think Disney will try to keep it in as many screens as possible just so that it will reach 100 mil. Without the Disney push, I think Dumbo will end with 98 mil or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shazam is following Aquaman to a tee as all common sense has been suggesting for a while now. A $18,000,000 Friday puts it at about $44,500,000 opening weekend. The misconceptions about it playing similar to Pixar movies or not "regular" superhero movies appear to finally be cleared up because Shazam apparently plays best at night, which is not comparable to "family" movies in the slightest. 

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Expecting Shazam numbers to go up. $53m OW/$56.3m total? 

2x for this weekend for Dumbo would give it $109m. Sub-$100m possible if it comes below estimates?

I'm still sticking to $60M+ if we count the $3.3M previews...Deadline will go up another million or so for today...just give them another hour:)...

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Dumbo wasn't directed by one of my favourite directors, and it looked like another Disney conveyor-belt projects I'd be happy with this result. But honestly, it's a lot more artistically colourful and imaginative than a lot of their other stuff, so I'm worried that its performance is going to deter them from taking artistic risks again. 

That’s type of drop indicates toxicity toward the movie. I was really rooting for This movie. I thought it looked beautiful, cute, and moving from the trailers but it looks like Burton fucked up

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Further DL updates

HOLY SHIT DUMBO

tenor.gif?itemid=5345929

The existence of a $170m Dumbo remake is madness. Dumbo is just way too old, and I’m sorry but it’s just so boring. I didn’t like it as a kid, my kid doesn’t like it. It’s a boring old movie. 

• Knock It Off 2

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-ma-rocketman/

Long Range Tracking: Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Ma, & Rocketman

5/31/2019 Godzilla: King of the Monsters $46,000,000 NEW $110,000,000 NEW Warner Bros.
5/31/2019 Ma $24,000,000 NEW $63,000,000 NEW Universal
5/31/2019 Rocketman $37,000,000 NEW $165,000,00

Too low for Godzilla and for some reason there has been no change to Endgame predictions. Like it literally just had some huge presales.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • ...wtf 2

As I thought, Dumbo is not playing like a family movie, but like a Disney fan movie...nothing about the concept screamed "see it" for kids...instead, it was "see it" for mom and dad and drag kids...and Disney/Dumbo obviously didn't get out of the normal Disney fan base in this push to the parents...

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

That’s type of drop indicates toxicity toward the movie. I was really rooting for This movie. I thought it looked beautiful, cute, and moving from the trailers but it looks like Burton fucked up

It looked like a movie about a post war circus family and their struggles that somehow featured Dumbo. Not a movie about Dumbo (and the talking mouse).

• Like 2

Just now, PenguinHyphy said:

Shazam is following Aquaman to a tee as all common sense has been suggesting for a while now. A $18,000,000 Friday puts it at about $44,500,000 opening weekend. The misconceptions about it playing similar to Pixar movies or not "regular" superhero movies appear to finally be cleared up because Shazam apparently plays best at night, which is not comparable to "family" movies in the slightest. 

AQM had a holiday boosted Sunday drop so lower with the same multiplier.

Currently Deadline has upped it $18.9 which gives it a preview/Friday ration of 3.2 slightly better than  AQM's 3.08 and a bit lower than GOTG2's 3.29

Even with the softened Sunday AQM's preview/ow multi was 7.54 as opposed to GOTG2's 8.618

AQM multi -  44.486

GOTG2 multi - 50.85m

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-ma-rocketman/

Long Range Tracking: Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Ma, & Rocketman

Too low for Godzilla and for some reason there has been no change to Endgame predictions. Like it literally just had some huge presales.

@JGAR4LIFE