TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

1 minute ago, ChipMunky said:

If Deadline misses by the same percentage they missed last night, Shazam could make $25-28 mil OD.

Deadline doesn't miss  Friday like that. Thursday have always been off from Deadline. 19M is my prediction. 

29 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It hasn't flopped everywhere OS....Russia is very good and Brazil is good too.

28 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Takes some pretty low expectations to say this with a straight face imo.

These are some OD for Russia that I could find (millions of Rubles)

Infinity War        - 323

Suicide Squad   - 260 

Venom              - 217

Homecoming    - 138

BvS                    - 138

Deadpool 2        - 179

AMATW              - 101

Justice League    - 78 

Shazam               - 62

Wonder Woman - 53 

Could be worse I suppose but I am not sure what expectations were from this market so difficult to draw a conclusion. Wonder Woman went on to gross about 8.5m USD and Justice League went on to gross 10.9m USD total. So depending how legs are a total around Wonder Woman is possible.

For Brazil these are the numbers I have

Captain Marvel:    R$11.6m

Aquaman:             R$7.8m

Black Panther:       R$7m

Wonder Woman:  R$3.25m

Shazam :               R$2.2m

Wonder Woman went on to gross about 33m USD total in Brazil but it was unusually leggy for the market. I am not sure if Shazam can manage those legs especially with Endgame opening soon. If it does have same legs as Wonder Woman then it should gross 20-22m USD overall. Overall Brazil should be one of the highest grossing OS markets for Shazam. Maybe even the second biggest after China. 

Again it is open to interpretation whether this is good or not as I am not too well versed with the market.

35 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Further DL updates

HOLY SHIT DUMBO

tenor.gif?itemid=5345929

Holy shit Dumbo indeed. Thats a horrible fall if true. Bad drop for US as well.

Holy shit Captain Marvel. That would be an amazing drop. I would have expected a worse drop seeing Shazam is a direct competition but I guess it affected Dumbo more. Plus Endgame could have an effect as well.

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As I thought, Dumbo is not playing like a family movie, but like a Disney fan movie...nothing about the concept screamed "see it" for kids...instead, it was "see it" for mom and dad and drag kids...and Disney/Dumbo obviously didn't get out of the normal Disney fan base in this push to the parents...

It obviously was more family & kid skewed or  it wouldn't have had a 17x multi off $2.6m previews

Edited by TalismanRing

Whatever Deadline is smoking, Variety took a double hit:  

The third weekend of Universal’s horror hit “Us” and the fifth frame of Disney’s “Captain Marvel” will battle for fourth in the $15 million range.

• Disbelief 1

If these (very early and to be treated with extreme caution) estimates are in the right ballpark, CM has a real chance to pass Us, Dumbo, Pet Sematary next weekend and remind in 5th despite the numerous new openers.

Damn the rocketman forecast is pretty strong though. Is this basically going to be another BR 2.0 :lol: I’m not sure what Elton John’s appeal is overseas compared to Mercury though 

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Holy shit Dumbo indeed. Thats a horrible fall if true. Bad drop for US as well.

Holy shit Captain Marvel. That would be an amazing drop. I would have expected a worse drop seeing Shazam is a direct competition but I guess it affected Dumbo more. Plus Endgame could have an effect as well.

I said so last week that Shazam wouldn't impact CM as much as it would Dumbo. CM isn't primarily a family movie while the other 2 are. 

7 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

If Deadline misses by the same percentage they missed last night, Shazam could make $25-28 mil OD.

19m and 25-28m would lookentirely different in matinees and evening presales. Maybe deadline undershot because of poor early 4pm shows, but they are not going to undershoot by this much for friday...come on now. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It obviously was more family & kid skewed or Sat wouldn't have gone up 70% from Friday last week and it wouldn't have had a 17x multi off $2.6m previews

Nah...that's just the date the Disney fans dragged their kids...they did have to take them when they were out of school...

2nd weekend drop would show that Disney fan base is getting used up...so much fewer parents to drag their kids...so, pretty darn big weekend drop...

CM's good hold should surprise no one. for weeks now some people have been waiting for bad hold and it hasn't happened nor will happen. It isn't just YTers. WOM is good. No matter how one feels about the movie's quality, WOM is undeniably good.  

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1