TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

1 minute ago, Jamiem said:

Hope Shazam can have a solid opening otherwise good legs are going to mean too much. I mean being optimistic and giving it 4x legs on a 45 opening would only get it to 180, plus doesn’t seem to be doing too good overseas. 

This is sucks because the film is pretty great. 

Doubling the budget domestically would already be pretty good for this.

• Like 2

Shazam! is probably gonna be the best reviewed funny book film of the year at least, so that's a win for WB. Also the budget's low enough to ensure it doesn't lose money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nevermore said:

Doubling the budget domestically would already be pretty good for this.

That’s true it would be very good in terms of return on investment, I guess my expectations are just bigger given how much I like the film. Also the film feels a lot different than other DCEU films, so if it performs well that might give them the incentive to make more films like this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

I guess my expectations are just bigger given how much I like the film. Also the film feels a lot different than other DCEU films, so if it performs well that might give them the incentive to make more films like this. 

Yeah, this is why I really hoped it'd break out.

• Like 1

I hate to harp on it but I had been saying for weeks WB was dropping the ball on this from a marketing standpoint.  Which is rare for them because they've been known to put asses in seats. Even if you just look at New Line they do an incredible jobs with their horror movies. I don't know why the marketing on this was so lowkey. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

That’s true it would be very good in terms of return on investment, I guess my expectations are just bigger given how much I like the film. Also the film feels a lot different than other DCEU films, so if it performs well that might give them the incentive to make more films like this. 

Seeing how it's appapparently disliked in Asia for  being too childish, they'll probably change the tone a bit going forward, as that's a big market to lose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Seeing how it's appapparently disliked in Asia for  being too childish, they'll probably change the tone a bit going forward, as that's a big market to lose.

Yeah they will probably add more action and/or cgi; hopefully they keep the humour and relationships though. 

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Makes me wonder if the reviews are a bit off the mark. At least in comparison to the prototypical cbm. I still can't wait to see it but I've lowered my expectations for the film.

:winomg:

Literally rule one with box office is it doesn't equal quality. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Makes me wonder if the reviews are a bit off the mark. At least in comparison to the prototypical cbm. I still can't wait to see it but I've lowered my expectations for the film.

If we’re going by this metric, Aquaman is a masterpiece?

• Like 2

To an extent sure I agree. But a movie with insane critical appeal that's a kids comic book film I expect it to be amazing. Instead I'm just gonna go in with the expectation that it will be good. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

If we’re going by this metric, Aquaman is a masterpiece?

Aquaman was awesome, the reviews suggest it was bad in comparison to this. Somehow I find that unlikely. Again perhaps I will be pleased, I will find out next week.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Shazam should find it tough to breach 10x the previews I guess being a CBM in a 4pm preview era. Even ITSV managed only that as an animation in December. So hope previews are on the higher side of things. Doubling the prod budget dom would be great and still needs 45-50 ow for that with strong legs expected.

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Aquaman was awesome, the reviews suggest it was bad in comparison to this. Somehow I find that unlikely. Again perhaps I will be pleased, I will find out next week.

Not the fanboy wars thread, but Shazam’s a lot better than the last 2 live action funnybook movies, despite grossing a lot less

• Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

We'll see, reactions suggest many would disagree. I will post mine when I see next week. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday

Literally where are you seeing these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1