TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

Just now, LordNox said:

The point is would Captain Marvel really have opened that big with over 150M without the connected universe? Captain Marvel would have been a hit whatever the case but i think it being part of a highly loved franchise is what sets it apart majorly from Wonder Woman.

And yes Wonder Woman 84 getting over a billion is more a hope for me rather than a prediction, to do that it would need to break out much more overseas than the first one and that would be hard to predict now. I do think it can gross over 400M in the US again. But all in all much will depend on how good the movie and its WOM is.

I think that CM would have opened this big and done this big without EG release this year because MCU created event around it that wasn't about EG. We see that movies they don't position as events do considerably less (AM&TW). if I'm not mistaken, WW came out in June, so it wasn't the first event of the year unlike CM, BP, BatB, that took advantage of so-called slower month.

Don't get me wrong, I think that WW is a superior out of 2 even with wonky third act which is why I'm cautious. Just because I prefer it it doesn't mean I'm not aware of CM having much better reception OS (they are on par dom with CM poised to edge it out due to bigger opening). Someone on this forum who's from SK said SK female audience didn't care for WW but they loved CM. And OS is where increases happen and I don't know how bigger WW could go OS. GOTG Vol 2 didn't go up much either dom or OS, for example. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Then why are posters surprised by the projections and screaming that it will open to $100,000,000? 

Well now we know its a connected universe and Skull island did very good in that universe and the 2 trailers released for this has gotten exceptional good response. This is why over 100 million is in the cards for Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that CM would have opened this big and done this big without EG release this year because MCU created event around it that wasn't about EG. We see that movies they don't position as events do considerably less (AM&TW). if I'm not mistaken, WW came out in June, so it wasn't the first event of the year unlike CM, BP, BatB, that took advantage of so-called slower month.

Don't get me wrong, I think that WW is a superior out of 2 even with wonky third act which is why I'm cautious. Just because I prefer it it doesn't mean I'm not aware of CM having much better reception OS (they are on par dom with CM poised to edge it out due to bigger opening). Someone on this forum who's from SK said SK female audience didn't care for WW but they loved CM. And OS is where increases happen and I don't know how bigger WW could go OS. GOTG Vol 2 didn't go up much either dom or OS, for example. 

It will be interesting to see if WB and Patty thought about the poor reception of WW overseas when they made the script for WW84 and if they added things to WW84 that they think will play well overseas. More and better CGI action scenes and stuff like that. And if so it will be interesting to see if they manage to make the sequel more loved overseas than the first one.

Just now, Krissykins said:

Dumbo is the first recent Disney remake flop 

First of many?

When Lion King makes more money than God, I think any money lost in the last 5 years would be recuperated for Disney

Looking at my simple, stupid box office predictor, CM's over/under on catching WW is in keeping its weekly falls to about 35%. More than that and it probably misses.

42% drops get it to 400m. 

37% would be needed to beat the THG/CACW/IM3 trifecta.

400m isn't definite, but likely. I'd say it stands a not bad chance of getting into the mix with the triplets. It needs better holds to get to WW's.

In its favor, the weekly drops are trending better. It held just under 40% this past week.

Yes, this is all despite staying a good amount ahead of THG. To reiterate, the late legs for that were insanely good: weeks 5 and 6 were under 30%. Weeks 8, 10, 13, and 17 were all under 20%! And except for when Avengers opened, every weekly drop until 22 is under 40%.

• Thanks 2

The movie I am most excited to track is Frozen 2.

I believe it can break Incredibles 2 record for Highest Animated OW and Domestic total of 650M+ ( thanksgiving, Christmas, new year will help) 

I also believe it will do 1.5B+ WW

13 minutes ago, LordNox said:

It will be interesting to see if WB and Patty thought about the poor reception of WW overseas when they made the script for WW84 and if they added things to WW84 that they think will play well overseas. More and better CGI action scenes and stuff like that. And if so it will be interesting to see if they manage to make the sequel more loved overseas than the first one.

I wouldn't call WW's 400M OS poor by any stretch. it;s just that ratio skewing dom is a bit troublesome for the future unless it's period piece problem that moving to more modern times can rectify. Some countries may simply not care about WWI but go for the 80s setting. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mulderfox said:

What is up with this Thrylos guy liking everything MCU and laughing and hating at everything DC. Thats just pathetic

Yeh he’s a banned troll that still can’t stay away

:hahaha:

You should've seen him on the international boards last year when Jurassic World opened haha. Deluded. 

Actually, Mods, why can banned users still interact on here?? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't call WW's 400M OS poor by any stretch. it;s just that ratio skewing dom is a bit troublesome for the future unless it's period piece problem that moving to more modern times can rectify. Some countries may simply not care about WWI but go for the 80s setting. 

I agree that the setting could have been a problem for WW in certain markets. The 80s are close to the 90s which was the setting for Captain Marvel. So the setting should be less of a problem for WW84. Now the only question will be if the story and characters in WW84 will play as well as the story of Captain Marvel obviosly did. I have faith that Americans will love it but how it plays in China and the rest of Asia  will decide how high it can reach.

2 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I agree that the setting could have been a problem for WW in certain markets. The 80s are close to the 90s which was the setting for Captain Marvel. So the setting should be less of a problem for WW84. Now the only question will be if the story and characters in WW84 will play as well as the story of Captain Marvel obviosly did. I have faith that Americans will love it but how it plays in China and the rest of Asia  will decide how high it can reach.

agreed. :)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh he’s a banned troll that still can’t stay away

Seriously, a CBM opening is the perfect time to root out and fully ban trolls. There’s should be stricter rules for these weekends

• Like 1
  • Haha 1