TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Man that Dumbo drop is awful. A family/kids-centric movie dropping that hard? Eesh. 

What if Disney has to pick one film to get the Endgame double feature bounce. Either Dumbo (to get to 100m) or CM (to get to 400m). Which should they choose? 

Just now, ElsaRoc said:

What if Disney has to pick one film to get the Endgame double feature bounce. Either Dumbo (to get to 100m) or CM (to get to 400m). Which should they choose? 

I'd saddle Dumbo with Endgame seeing how if it's doesn't stabilize it will definitely have the harder time getting over the mark then CM imo. CM's drops are pretty good especially considering the fact that it only got a 38-40% drop against another superhero opener.

5 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Why is deadline comparing Shazam to Captain Marvel? Very unnecessary dig at CM. And why are they not talking about severe underperformance of Shazam OS. 

Deadline usually tries to spin things in the favor of the new opener imo, unless it’s doing so undeniably awful that they do a full 180 and figure they can get more clicks by excessively piling onto it.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

CM won't need the bounce for 400. It's a lock. Still deserves double feature though, Dumbo does not.

I can understand why Aladdin cost so much, even if some of it looks a bit cheap to me, since it's so visually busy in all the previews. Really not sure why Dumbo was so expensive, unless Burton has a budget problem and it went massively over-schedule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

100 has financial implications, 400 doesn’t. Luckily CM won’t need the help.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I can understand why Aladdin cost so much, even if some of it looks a bit cheap to me, since it's so visually busy in all the previews. Really not sure why Dumbo was so expensive, unless Burton has a budget problem and it went massively over-schedule.

From what people have said on here, Dumbo's budget is really apparent on screen. Though that's just what I've been seeing repeated on here. Definitely did not need to be that expensive though, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Deadline usually tries to spin things in the favor of the new point imo, unless it’s doing so undeniably awful that they do a full 180 and figure they can get more clicks by excessively piling onto it.

I mean deadline is acting like Shazam is over performing. If I am right it is rightly on the projection they gave last weekend. (52M)

I am very happy for Shazam but why this unnecessary dig. 

Most of the OS is completely DOA. 

Even Brazil is performing below expectations. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

Shazam's performing like a comedy OS, which considering the movie itself isn't surprising. It's budget is so low it doesn't need OS to save it as long as it gets into the mid 50s+ this weekend and has good legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Why is deadline comparing Shazam to Captain Marvel? Very unnecessary dig at CM. And why are they not talking about severe underperformance of Shazam OS. 

It seems to be doing pretty badly over here (no #s yet, just anecdotal evidence of empty screenings). The marketing made it feel like a dumped film nobody should care about, and people seem to have got the message. Which is a pity.

It's strange, since even though Spain is not a big superhero market (Marvel films do well, but not nearly as well as in other places) it is a huge family market, and this looked like a way to scratch the family and superhero itches in one go. Then again, Warner Spain (which are extreme tightwads) probably chose not to try to risk their marketing euros selling a complete unknown character.

It's a fun film, deserved better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I mean deadline is acting like Shazam is over performing. If I am right it is rightly on the projection they gave last weekend. (52M)

I am very happy for Shazam but why this unnecessary dig. 

Most of the OS is completely DOA. 

Even Brazil is performing below expectations. 

Deadline has some hilariously over the top biases. Even though Nikki Finke hasn't been part of it for years. 

For instance, pretty much all coverage of the WGA/ATA negotiations is heavily slanted towards the agencies. For instance

And at least as far as CBMs, they tend to lean MCU. And they like to push contentious match-ups, because it drives anger clicks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Also, it seems clear to me that DC Films have varying priorities over at WB. Aquaman was clearly important to them, hence the all-out ad campaign, and that seemed to have worked great in the long-run. I didn't think it was great, but it was intensely silly and bombastic, which I guess helped it play well domestically and overseas. Joker is gonna be a big priority looking at the youtube/twitter views thus far.

Shazam!'s foreign figures are bad, and it sounds like they didn't really market it well at all overseas. Domestic numbers only seem to be going so sturdy because of word of mouth/reviews.

• Like 1