TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

WoM is gonna be great for Shazam!, could see a small drop next week.

Yeah, Hellboy is pretty much a Bomb. 

If it makes around 52M this weekend. I except around 33-37M second weekend. People are loving the movie. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I think 

Captain Marvel will earn 10M in 26-28April weekend. Just my prediction. 

How? If it does awesome next week it's 9 million. Amazing next week is 7. 20% increase is 8.4 million. If the dropoffs are awesome I could Thursday through Sunday being 10 million but it's a big stretch.

Just now, cdsacken said:

How? If it does awesome next week it's 9 million. Amazing next week is 7. 20% increase is 8.4 million. If the dropoffs are awesome I could Thursday through Sunday being 10 million but it's a big stretch.

I think there are lot of people who haven't seen Captain marvel yet. Double features are gonna be lit. 

It's just my prediction and feeling. I don't have a right explanation right now but will soon be able to give. 😊😊

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

From what people have said on here, Dumbo's budget is really apparent on screen. Though that's just what I've been seeing repeated on here. Definitely did not need to be that expensive though, that's for sure.

Yeah, the budget is definitely visible on the screen. Granted, I wouldn't have guessed $170 million from what I saw, but there was clearly plenty of attention paid to making sure it looked and sounded like a major spectacle.

As for why Disney was willing to spend that much money, I think a couple of points are worth considering. First, Burton's Alice in Wonderland kicked off their mostly successful efforts at giving their animated classics live action adaptations. Yes, Alice opened nine years ago and belongs to a markedly different box office era (it definitely rode the post-Avatar 3D wave in a way that no other film was able to do, and it was also a massive non-summer/non-holiday event film in a time when such films were rare), but money talks and Burton made them a ton of it the last time they handed him such a large tentpole release. And second, Disney makes more than enough from the box office grosses of their other tentpole properties that they can take the hit if an over-budgeted venture like Dumbo underperforms. They won't be happy about it, sure, but it's not going to jeopardize their profitability for the year either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthew said:

I think there are lot of people who haven't seen Captain marvel yet. Double features are gonna be lit. 

It's just my prediction and feeling. I don't have a right explanation right now but will soon be able to give. 😊😊

One thing I don't know is how many double features for CM there will be and how Disney will choose to allocate the proceeds of it. Kinda wonder if they don't give it to End Game. In Washington I saw zero CM double features just the end game/infinity war. FYI that sold out in hours!

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I think 

Captain Marvel will earn 10M in 26-28April weekend. Just my prediction. 

Yeah, that doesn't seem likely. BP didn't even have that and it earned 17m at the comparable weekend before IW. And even with some really great drops, it was under 7m.

Even giving CM 12m this weekend and really good 30% drops for the next three weekends, and a 10% drop when Endgame releases, it's still under 4m.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Also, it seems clear to me that DC Films have varying priorities over at WB. Aquaman was clearly important to them, hence the all-out ad campaign, and that seemed to have worked great in the long-run. I didn't think it was great, but it was intensely silly and bombastic, which I guess helped it play well domestically and overseas. Joker is gonna be a big priority looking at the youtube/twitter views thus far.

Shazam!'s foreign figures are bad, and it sounds like they didn't really market it well at all overseas. Domestic numbers only seem to be going so sturdy because of word of mouth/reviews.

The marketing here was awful, I tell you. It had DUMP written all over it.

The film is called "Shazam: Trainee superhero" (in Spanish) over here. When they make up these awful localised titles (rest assured, Captain Marvel wasn't "Captain Marvel: Kickass blonde" nor Aquaman was "Aquaman: Khal Drogo learns to swim") is always a sure tell of absolute lack of confidence in the movie.

• Like 1

Just now, Celedhring said:

The marketing here was awful, I tell you. It had DUMP written all over it.

The film is called "Shazam: Trainee superhero" (in Spanish) over here. When they make up these awful localised titles (rest assured, Captain Marvel wasn't "Captain Marvel: Kickass blonde" nor Aquaman was "Aquaman: Khal Drogo learns to swim") is always a sure tell of absolute lack of confidence in the movie.

It's especially strange since Aquaman was such a big hit in foreign markets. 

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Aquaman had quip humour and globe trotting adventure that's the formula of successful movie. 

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

So far the DC Films are succeeding or failing solely on their own merits and little to do with how well the previous DC Film did unless it was a direct sequel.

That's the difference of MCU and DCEU

8 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

Yeah, that doesn't seem likely. BP didn't even have that and it earned 17m at the comparable weekend before IW. And even with some really great drops, it was under 7m.

Even giving CM 12m this weekend and really good 30% drops for the next three weekends, and a 10% drop when Endgame releases, it's still under 4m.

Forecast is 12.9. It won't even drop with End Game release so bet good shot at 6 or higher.

20 minutes ago, Matthew said:

If it makes around 52M this weekend. I except around 33-37M second weekend. People are loving the movie. 

The “best” solo intro MCU drop is 47.2%. 

(https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=mcuintro.htm

I don’t know why Shazam would fall only 30% lol, unless those films listed were hated? ;) 

Shazam will likely fall 50% like they usually do 

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

Aquaman is super CGI and action heavy, Shazam has very few fight scenes and it's style is very American 80s family/kids movie geared, something not many of the non-English speaking countries have a fondness/nostalgia for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1