TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

It has been said before, but it bears repeating: Shazam's reviews and CS are fantastic, and all signs point to a potentially solid WOM domestic run, but WB needs to ensure that the sequel gets as big a chance to increase domestic and WW as possible. They need to carefully choose the release date, increase the budget (and punch up the action/spectacle factor) and, please, for the love of Solomon, bring in The Rock/Black Adam for the sequel. Make Shazam 2 do a The Dark Knight on us (although I totally know that something like that will also depend greatly on the quality of the sequel). 

And for part 3, damn...take a page out of the MCU playbook and bring in a popular superhero from another franchise: Wonder Woman makes sense since both her and Shazam share some Greek deities as part of their origins. The MCU is brilliant when it comes to using all the tools at their disposal to ensure that their solo films sequel box office increase...

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

Whaaaaaatttt, is this for real? Never seen a late night from Rth be 12% off. I will be living with an expectation of a slight downward adjustment come actuals, but still great — 13+ is back on track 🎊

10 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

You know something might be wrong if you are being compared to Ghost Rider 2...eww

maybe Shazam will get legs.

Nope. Maoyan score is 8.0. Max is likely 52 million probably less.

• Like 1

Domestic launch of 53m should slightly make up for China’s expectated launch but still behind what the popular guesses were. Have to bank on legs now which should come through. 

Dumbo is dead. A movie like that needs half the budget it had. 

CM at ~13m is surprising and I do not quite understand why it held so well this weekend. Simply because of ticket sales for endgame? That hardly seems like it make that big of a difference. 

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Us drops 58% if that number holds. More proof that the film is not really connecting with audiences. It's way too weird in my opinion way too many potholes in my opinion, actually that was not an opinion that's a fact lol. So it doesn't surprise me see the third weekend drop be quite large.

Direct competition opened this weekend.

• Like 1

WIDE (1000+)

# TITLE WEEKEND   LOCATIONS   AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 Shazam! $53,000,000 4,217 $12,568 $56,325,000 3 Warner Bros.
2 Pet Sematary $25,000,000 3,585 $6,974 $25,000,000 1 Paramount Pictures
3 Dumbo $19,500,000 -58% 4,259 0 $4,579 $77,547,489 2 Walt Disney Pictures
4 Us (2019) $14,800,000 -55% 3,512 -231 $4,214 $153,382,995 3 Universal Pictures
5 Captain Marvel $13,000,000 -37% 3,573 -412 $3,638 $374,451,563 5 Disney
6 The Best of Enemies $5,300,000 1,705 $3,109 $5,300,000 1 STX Entertainment
7 Five Feet Apart $3,800,000 -39% 2,484 -362 $1,530 $41,691,252 4 CBS Films
8 Unplanned $3,700,000 -42% 1,516 457 $2,441 $12,967,510 2 Pure Flix
9 Wonder Park $2,400,000 -52% 2,281 -1023 $1,052 $42,340,513 4 Paramount
10 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $2,200,000 -50% 1,928 -857 $1,141 $156,907,245 10 Universal / DreamWorks Animation
11 Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral $1,300,000 -51% 1,101 -822 $1,181 $72,248,801 6 Lionsgate

Early Weekend Estimates (Domestic) FRI, APR. 5 – SUN, APR. 7

the smaller... here:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-estimates-shazam-pet-sematary-best-enemies-dumbo/

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Domestic launch of 53m should slightly make up for China’s expectated launch but still behind what the popular guesses were. Have to bank on legs now which should come through. 

CM at ~13m is surprising and I do not quite understand why it held so well this weekend. Simply because of ticket sales for endgame? That hardly seems like it make that big of a difference. 

It's going to hold super strong the next 3 weeks. Have to do math and wait for final weekend results but I could see 408 by end of week End Game comes out (week 8).

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

If you want to watch the MCU movies in chronological order before the Endgame release in the US, and want to watch every day a movie Friday was the day to do so with CM, the 2nd MCU movie per time-line

Edited by terrestrial
quoted the wrong post

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Build up to Endgame is definitely helping. But, also, like with Hunger Games, Catching Fire abd Wonder Woman, female led blockbusters seem to have pretty fine late legs. Not to mention, maybe WOM is actually pretty good. Kind of unexpected that it's holding better against Shazam then Us is holding against Pet Sematary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shuotong said:

Unlike Shazam, dumbo's ow in China is expected. Also dumbo has a much better WOM there too.

“Shazam’s doing well domestically what do we do?”  

“Bring up the Chinese WoM” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Weird how different taste in movies people have over the world. Shazam got an A cinemascore in the US so Americans enjoyed it. While Shazam seems to be seen as trash in China and other places.

Maybe the Goonies vibe Shazam was aiming for only works in a small number of countries?

Hopefully its domestic results can save the movie at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Only Deadline says it's has a $100m budget (BOM  probably using Deadline as a source), Variety says it's $80m, and Hollywood Reporter  between $80m and $90m.

Deadline gives the latest update with additional photography from last December.

I don't see how Dumbo was dark, it got an A - Cinemascore, WOM hardly seems to be terrible, Shazam ! clearly hit it hard, Dumbo also is just simply not nearly as flashy as any of the other live-action Disney films, it's way more old school and contained, it's a bummer because it's a good film, it's very safe but it's very well made, Burton feels pretty restricted but imo he delivered what the film needed to be.

About China and Shazam ! It's one more puzzling thing about that country, there's no reason why it shouldn't pop aside from it somehow not translating for them? There's nothing really heavily American about the film, there are some Rocky references in there sure, is it the small scale, the suburbia, the foster family aspect, what is it? 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

“Shazam’s doing well domestically what do we do?”  

“Bring up the Chinese WoM” 

Aehm, people who are new here usually start in the threads of their country or continent.

Nice way to welcome tries to explore other regions too?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

But, also, like with Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Wonder Woman, female led blockbusters seem to have pretty fine late legs. 

And to think that studios held on for so long to their belief that "audiences are not interested in female superheroes"...

Obviously, just like with male superheroes, if you make a decent film, first of all, market it well, and make it an event, superheroine films will evidently succeed.

Looking forward to many more movies starring the superladies!!

• Like 1