TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

True. Shazam did kinda bad in China. Dumbo did atrocious and bad in US. Dumbo is an absolute flop hopefully ending Burton with Disney forever. Shazam is good enough to get a sequel, just not loved WW.

Unlike Shazam, dumbo's ow in China is expected. Also dumbo has a much better WOM there too. Chinese people really hate Shazam.

Edited by shuotong
  • Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Jesus 120% increase for CM. 

5.729 +(65%)

3.838 (-33%)

13.039 a ridiculous 37% drop could happen on opening week of Shazam

This is not ridiculous, it's completely in line with expectations for this part of its run. It's still in 3500 theatres.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. Not if done properly. Pfieffer's Cat in Batman Returns was far and away the most adored thing about that flick. Just gotta get it right and crowds will flock. Harley is literally a sidekick to Joker. She's huge but Catwoman can and would be bigger if done right.

:rant:

But I agree, if done right Catwoman can be great

• Haha 1

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Dumbo should have been released next year, Burton was a victim of sabotage - Aladdin and TLK were always going to overshadow the cute elephant.

Yup. But I'm surprised it cost that much. Not that the film looks cheap but I would have guessed 100 M, I guess Dumbo being full CG + the incredible sets cost a lot of coin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Yup. But I'm surprised it cost that much. Not that the film looks cheap but I would have guessed 100 M, I guess Dumbo being full CG + the incredible sets cost a lot of coin. 

Yeah the movie also cost too much, or this would be considered a fine little run.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Dumbo should have been released next year, Burton was a victim of sabotage - Aladdin and TLK were always going to overshadow the cute elephant.

or maybe this part was the problem

5beddefcdde86724a31a882c-750-562.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dragon's post OW performance has been super disappointing. Will it even limp to a 3x multi? That's really bad for animation, especially one that seems like it should have been very well received and had tame direct competition. Only the toxic Shrek 3 has missed a 3x multi among DWA's 3 dozen or so movies. 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 minutes ago, AndyK said:

This is not ridiculous, it's completely in line with expectations for this part of its run. It's still in 3500 theatres.

Um there were predictions for 10-11 million a couple days ago. With Shazam doing 50 million it's damn good. If it does 13, I think through week 8 it's gonna be 408+ and end at 420+. 2.73 legs is pretty good for 153.4 opening.

You're right CM matching WWs drop when Spiderman came out doesn't mean much.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

shazam looks like its made for 12 year old kids but i think it'll reach 550m WW

DumbO tho... what what a fall this weekend in USA

Explain the math on 550 please. That's seems impossible with only 50 from China.

13 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Lol, I have no clue why you're being ridiculously stubborn about anything related to EG hype, but  this drop is 100% EG hype. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. Not if done properly. Pfieffer's Cat in Batman Returns was far and away the most adored thing about that flick. Just gotta get it right and crowds will flock. Harley is literally a sidekick to Joker. She's huge but Catwoman can and would be bigger if done right.

Granted her cosplay is one of the easiest, but Catwoman's never been 4th wall breaking psycho comedian huge. 

Shazam really Shazamed its way to the top, huh?

:sparta:

That's a very healthy gross for the film, and while it's not grossing in the upper echelon of what modern superhero films can achieve, I'm sure Warner Bros. is pleased nonetheless.

Also, good for Paramount that Pet Sematary stands a chance at getting somewhat close to $30M.

Dumbo's fall is really a shame. I find it likely that the competition against Shazam proved to be a little too much. Hopefully Tim Burton is able to rebound with the next project.

It looks like Us could be able to keep its head above $10M for the weekend, which is a feat in and of itself when Pet Sematary is gunning for the same audience.

The Best of Enemies has a budget of $10M so that low of a Friday gross is pretty ominous. $1.6M times three is $4.8M. I find it extremely unlikely that the film can reach $20M, which would've been my personal goal for the film.

Five Feet Apart continues to chug along, and I'm very happy about that.

Unplanned could double its budget after the weekend is over. Film really did play to its audience.

Very happy that Hotel Mumbai stands a chance at staying within the Top 10, if only for one last weekend.  Good for Bleecker Street. I'll always be rooting for them.

And The Mustang continues to be the leading horse in the specialty market at the current moment. Many of us will eventually see this movie listed among common blockbusters in the slates of our cineplexes--at least, that's my prediction. Very surprised that, after both Lean on Pete (A24) and The Rider (Sony Pictures Classics) came out last year, such a similar film (from Focus Features) is able to carve out a path for itself. Its very specific niche of an audience seems extremely trustworthy at the box office.

• Like 1