TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yep could be bigger than even aggressive estimates.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Captain Marvel will likely hold great the next few weeks with Avengers mania reaching its peak.

Then CM along with everything else should hold well Easter weekend too.

1 hour ago, shuotong said:

Unlike Shazam, dumbo's ow in China is expected. Also dumbo has a much better WOM there too. Chinese people really hate Shazam.

Dumbo is a bomb that no one cares.shazam is different.Nowadays,fanboy war is toxic.Zachary is So kind to those fanboys.But they don't  treat him well.Anyway,shazam will  be profitable.Those fanboy wars are meaningless.

Edited by SliverS
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It looks like Us could be able to keep its head above $10M for the weekend, which is a feat in and of itself when Pet Sematary is gunning for the same audience.

Huh? US's Friday was 4.4 million... 
It's looking to get close to 15 million for the weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

“Shazam’s doing well domestically what do we do?”  

“Bring up the Chinese WoM” 

When Aquaman did fantastic in China,exclude China.bring up Rotten tomato.China isnt the thing in boxoffice.It's So funny.

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

Captain Marvel is performing just above our average @Thanos Legion  @Djsoke  @cdsacken

Yeah, the above-average performance is actually incredibly impressive. I'm definitely led to believe Endgame is factoring in sooner than we expected, and that could also mean a bigger bump than we expected (if the impact is just more significant in general)

From a $3.47m Friday:

Sat- $5.725m (+65%)

Sun - $3.78m (-34%)

Weekend: $12.97m

With such a strong Friday, that feels like the median result from here. That would be absolutely incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, I have no clue why you're being ridiculously stubborn about anything related to EG hype, but  this drop is 100% EG hype. 

SMH did -33%, followed by -31.9,-29.3 and -33.7.

But yes, I have no doubt EG will be influencing the holds from now on.

Edited by AndyK

I don't know nothing about comics or super hero movies, I'm italian and they are not part of the so called pop culture here. As someone who just watch trailers Acquaman seems like a big kolossal movie, Shazam really seems a basic super hero movie, there is no "wow effect", no "gosh this movie is all under the sea, cool", even Ant Man has is "wow effect". He seems a basilar version of a super hero so  i can understand why it doesn't get so much hype outside the Us. This is what it seems to an ignorant people like me, something like kick-ass. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, AndyK said:

SMH opened way lower and finished way lower. Not a shocker it's legs were good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I honestly don't recall... Did Spidey face direct competition from a $50M+ opener CBM any of those weekends?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I honestly don't recall... Did Spidey face direct competition from a $50M+ opener CBM any of those weekends?

The largest competition on any of those weekends was Annabelle:Creation with 35M. Only other notable releases Dark Tower and Hitman’s Bodyguard at 20M. That late summer was notoriously barren.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

The largest competition on any of those weekends was Annabelle:Creation with 35M. Only other notable releases Dark Tower and Hitman’s Bodyguard at 20M. That late summer was notoriously barren.

On the top of that SMH dropped 60%+ in its second weekend. 

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Harley>>>>>>>>>>>>>Catwoman. Harley can lead a movie. Catwoman is more of a Falcon like character to me. 

LOL

Remember when people said the same thing about Wonder Woman?

Then they made a Wonder Woman film, a really good WW film, and now nobody has any doubt.

Bye.

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Late summer is always notoriously barren (a trend that looks to continue this year taking a peak at what's currently scheduled).

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. Not if done properly. Pfieffer's Cat in Batman Returns was far and away the most adored thing about that flick. Just gotta get it right and crowds will flock. Harley is literally a sidekick to Joker. She's huge but Catwoman can and would be bigger if done right.

Agreed.

It's really weird that in 2019, with so much evidence against that statement, people still trot out the old "X character is not lead-character material; they could never lead a film; they cannot sustain a film" argument.

Seriously, people?

A character is not lead material until he/she is.

All it takes is a decent script, a compelling character combined with the right performer, great marketing, and a story that connects with audiences.

None of those things are easy to achieve, but it is incredibly short-sighted to simply dismiss any character as potential leading material due to those outdated beliefs.

Remember when people said that about Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Venom, Iron Man, and Captain Marvel? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

LOL

Remember when people said the same thing about Wonder Woman?

Then they made a Wonder Woman film, a really good WW film, and now nobody has any doubt.

Bye.

Who on earth said that about Wonder Woman. Making stuff up to support an argument is sad 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Late summer is always notoriously barren (a trend that looks to continue this year taking a peak at what's currently scheduled).

Even with it being a weak month, 2017 sticks out pretty clearly imo

2018 $859.0 +30.5% 244 $3.5 Mission: Impossible 6 $121.4 14.1%
2017 $658.3 -35.4% 228 $2.9 Annabelle 2 $81.7 12.4%
2016 $1,019.7 +20.8% 243 $4.2 Suicide Squad $286.4 28.1%
2015 $844.1 -17.2% 205 $4.1 M:I - Rogue Nation $150.7 17.8%
2014 $1,019.5 +9.8% 231 $4.4 Guardians of the Galaxy $275.4 27.0%
2013 $928.8 +14.9% 216 $4.3 We're the Millers $104.7 11.3%
2012 $808.3 -9.7% 219 $3.7 The Dark Knight Rises $122.7 15.2%
2011 $894.7 +2.3% 218 $4.1 Rise of the Planet of the Apes $151.5 16.9%
2010 $874.6 -3.4% 204 $4.3 The Other Guys $100.4 11.5%