TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

No one seems to have genuinely liked US past the opening weekend knee-jerk need to praise anything Jordan Peele does. His Twilight Zone is also getting a mixed reception. As for Get Out, other than capturing the cultural zeitgeist, for which it deserves credit, it's not very good filmmaking either. 

It seems so, doesn't it? Although, referring to The Twilight Zone as "his" is a bit far fetched, he's not the showrunner, he's one of the EPs, he's listed as "creator", but so are Simon Kinberg and Marco Ramirez. I agree on the rest, I hated Us, but Peele just doesn't do it for me. 

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

No one seems to have genuinely liked US past the opening weekend knee-jerk need to praise anything Jordan Peele does. His Twilight Zone is also getting a mixed reception. As for Get Out, other than capturing the cultural zeitgeist, for which it deserves credit, it's not very good filmmaking either. 

Twilight Zone is hosted and produced by him. Nothing more.

Also, Get Out was terrific film-making.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Us is really well filmed and scripted though - one of those excruciatingly planned films where everything on screen eventually is there for a reason. It's a much more confident film than Get Out, and despite its controversial storytelling (it really asks a lot from the audience in regard of suspension of disbelief) it really makes me feel Peele is far more than a "lightning in a bottle" kind of filmmaker. Really looking forward to his body of work.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I think that was perhaps because of your final number. Even with China going bust, this is making more than 400 M, the film is ahead of Ant-Man in most markets it seems. 

Maybe I seriously doubt it. Ant Man didn't have to contend with End Game and Detective Pikachu. 

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Original in that it borrows quite heavily from an old Twilight Zone episode :ph34r:

Criticizing an original movie for not being original enough, meanwhile stanning for the MCU?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

CM opened with more than Shazam has earned in a weekend + thursday preview + special fandango preview in one single day. 

That's really a poor comparison to make. 

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Criticizing an original movie for not being original enough, meanwhile stanning for the MCU?

One has nothing to do with the other.  I didn't claim the MCU films were original.  

But any excuse for an MCU jab no matter how misplaced.  How original.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Us is really well filmed and scripted though - one of those excruciatingly planned films where everything on screen eventually is there for a reason. It's a much more confident film than Get Out, and despite its controversial storytelling (it really asks a lot from the audience in regard of suspension of disbelief) it really makes me feel Peele is far more than a "lightning in a bottle" kind of filmmaker. Really looking forward to his body of work.

Well filmed, sure. Well scripted? Not at all. Makes no sense whatsoever, and the worst part, it tries so hard to make sense. It's very messy. 

• Knock It Off 1

Peele has his flaws as a writer (tho I liked Get Out's script a lot more on second viewing) but he's quickly grown into a fantastic director. I mean his understanding of how to use film as a visual medium is second to none. I watched most of Us with a happy grin on my face just because of the craft.

• Like 7