TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Five Feet Apart must have excellent word of mouth; movies targeting primarily teenage girls usually drop pretty hard. Great run for it, and good news for its leads.

The Cole Sprouse effect. He has a huge fan following. In the Riverdale panel at WonderCon, he got the biggest cheers from the audience.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Cole Sprouse effect. He has a huge fan following. In the Riverdale panel at WonderCon, he got the biggest cheers from the audience.

The fact that Cole Sprouse is known from Riverdale and not this makes me sad

The fact that Shazam is well recieved in the US may be what leads to a sequel because a sequel to a well recieved movie would lead to the sequel growing domestically to something over 200M.

If they put more action in the sequel it will probably gross more overseas as well. Except for China and Korea Shazam doesn't seem to be a hated movie in other countries at least.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

The fact that Cole Sprouse is known from Riverdale and not this makes me sad

To be fair, I think the majority of Riverdale's fanbase grew up watching Zack and Cody when they were young.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGamer said:

Good numbers for Shazam despite what happened in China. I think Black Adam could be a much bigger movie with The Rock and making it a more action-heavy film (which it sounds like it will be). I stand by what I said that, if Black Adam turns out good and Shazam 2 maintains the quality of the first one (and increases the overall box office a bit from the first one), a Shazam/Black Adam movie is going to make a lot of money. 

Black Adam has potential but I suspect it's going to be very different to Shazam which might make it a draw especially in China. 

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Completely disagree. If Shazam had opened in February, you guys would have cried about how WB was so dumb to open a movie so close to CM. The studio made the right call here. They will need to turn their attention to their bigger budget and more high risk releases. This was a nice win for WB. Mostly, it’s people here lamenting about things we can never know. As it is, Shazam will be a money maker. I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the original Antman, Captain America or Thor movies. This was a moderate budgeted movie meant to make a profit and not meant to be a huge money maker. Let’s be realistic. Sure, it is always nice to make more money. But to spin Shazam into a what could have been does undermine its performance. 

I imagine WB wanted a gap between Aquaman and Shazam. They likely didn't want the two films competing.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Haley Lu Richardson is the real MVP of the movie. She's been killing it ever since she first caught people's attention as the best friend in The Edge of Seventeen. Checking her Wikipedia she has nothing lined up at the moment so hopefully this leads to even more exciting stuff soon.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Haley Lu Richardson is the real MVP of the movie. She's been killing it ever since she first caught people's attention as the best friend in The Edge of Seventeen. Checking her Wikipedia she has nothing lined up at the moment so hopefully this leads to even more exciting stuff soon.

She was the only good thing in this movie. I can't believe how problematic it was, if people thought that The Fault in our Stars romanticized a terminal sickness, they should watch it.

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the original Antman, Captain America or Thor movies.

Just want to say, Disney had nothing to do with the first Captain America and Thor movie. That was before Disney bought Marvel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just want to say, Disney had nothing to do with the first Captain America and Thor movie. That was before Disney bought Marvel.

Disney had bought Marvel two years ago but Paramount still had distribution rights, they had to pay off Paramount to distribute Avengers and Iron Man 3 but Paramount still got credited and got a boatload of money from it.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Lol, try to evaluate the risk of putting a well received movie in a relatively quieter February, instead of battle two front and sandwiched between two mega blockbusters.   

The issue with February was

1. It wasn't that quiet...there was Lego 2, HTTYD 3, and Alita scheduled...with Shazam appealing stronger to the family set (ala Spidey), you already had 2 enormous competitors...that's not great...and notice, neither really got that high b/c...

2. February had NO spring break weeks for kids K-12...when you already have 2 franchise family movies fighting for the President's Day weekend and overall Feb money, why jump into more of the mess when you can take the 2 weeks of Easter for yourself b/c no one else will open a big movie before Endgame - you're the last one:).

The opening date was fine, the open was fine, and the legs will be more than fine...this little movie will give some of the early MCU origin movies in Phase 1/2 a run for their money...so, that's a great number...

And, the best thing for Shazam is that it has put its "popular" and "quality" family marker down like Spidey, so the next film might make a run at a summer date and be able to scare other competitors off...and REALLY open when it can go huge...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Another awful drop for US, it's going to finish at 2.4x at very best which is almost unheard of for an acclaimed and original (and mainstream) Horror movie, I wonder how this reception is going to affect Peele's brand.

Eh, it was just really front-loaded. Don't think audiences were super sore on it or anything, an R-rated original horror film making this much is great any way you spin it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Eh, it was just really front-loaded. Don't think audiences were super sore on it or anything, an R-rated original horror film making this much is great any way you spin it.

As always, using the front-loaded excuse. I have no idea why people here is so defensive when it comes to this movie, is it really that hard to admit it had a mixed reception?

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

As always, using the front-loaded excuse. I have no idea why people here is so defensive when it comes to this movie, is it really that hard to admit it had a mixed reception?

IT also didn't come close to a 3x multiplier and was the 4 quadrant equivalent for a horror movie. I guess that too had a mixed reception.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The issue with February was

1. It wasn't that quiet...there was Lego 2, HTTYD 3, and Alita scheduled...with Shazam appealing stronger to the family set (ala Spidey), you already had 2 enormous competitors...that's not great...and notice, neither really got that high b/c...

2. February had NO spring break weeks for kids K-12...when you already have 2 franchise family movies fighting for the President's Day weekend and overall Feb money, why jump into more of the mess when you can take the 2 weeks of Easter for yourself b/c no one else will open a big movie before Endgame - you're the last one:).

The opening date was fine, the open was fine, and the legs will be more than fine...this little movie will give some of the early MCU origin movies in Phase 1/2 a run for their money...so, that's a great number...

And, the best thing for Shazam is that it has put its "popular" and "quality" family marker down like Spidey, so the next film might make a run at a summer date and be able to scare other competitors off...and REALLY open when it can go huge...

Isn't alita only postponed to Feb on Oct18?

Before alita was postponed, there was no live action tent-pole during February. 

The opening date was terrible but the opening number is fine. Should EG presale kick off later by one week, the impact should be negligible. 

Again, no one thought 53m opening is a bad number but clearly there are money left on the table.    

25 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Another awful drop for US, it's going to finish at 2.4x at very best which is almost unheard of for an acclaimed and original (and mainstream) Horror movie, I wonder how this reception is going to affect Peele's brand.

I mean, how many acclaimed, original, mainstream horror movies even are there?

Outside of Peele, I mean, we're talking what? Sixth Sense? Signs? Anything in the last 10 years other than AQP?

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IT also didn't come close to a 3x multiplier and was the 4 quadrant equivalent for a horror movie. I guess that too had a mixed reception.

I think that Us playing more like a franchise movie than an original, because the Horror genre kind of is at this point (to the point we are using IT multiplier in the conversation).

Since the Will Smith days, there is not much live action film comparable to judge the legs of such a big opener (Avatar was too a long time ago and obviously an outlier and American Sniper did it with a platform release / award season play).

Is it not well liked or it did find it;s very hyped audience right away like a Civil War did without them being able to bring less interested people in, always a bit hard to say but the comscore data did seem to indicate the later.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1