TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

US got a 9.7x off previews.

AQP got a 11.7x.

I doubt it will be as front as US, since it doesn't have the same urgency/buzz.

But I also doubt it will play like an acclaimed and original movie.

A 10.2x-10.4x are the best possible scenarios.

Probably around $22m-$24m for the weekend.

Yikes.

I’m sorry @baumer I failed you. :( 

• Disbelief 1

$9.2m pre traditional week is a good sign for solid opening; this will play far more likes a kids movies than standard front loaded comic book film

• Like 1

$60M+ might still be in the cards for Shazam considering how family heavy it's likely gonna skew over the weekend. Another win for DC!

Pet Sematary looks to land with around $20M for the weekend which is fine considering it likely didn't cost much but buzz never really materialized for it to indicate a breakout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Gutted because of Shazam! numbers, but it just was released at a complete awful timing. This should be a November / October release. I will be watching today or tomorrow.

This aged kind of poorly

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

PS should've been PG13, adults would show up no matter what thanks to nostalgia, at least it could've bring the younger generation. :sadno:

Ok now im getting annoyed. Tracking had PS at mid-to high 20s and thats where it will land. It has a 20M budget and probably only needs like 70M WW to break even. It will be a nice little success for Paramount. Making it PG-13 would have been a terrible idea considering the source material. Get out with this pessimism.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

it kinda looks like a tv pilot aesthetically.

I think one of the issues was all the trailers/spots show so much of the Toronto-as-philly shots from the middle of the film, where it looks like an uglier, more desaturated version of Deadpool. Outside of that stuff, it looks really good I thought, especially the night shots and anytime he's shazam-ing about

• Like 1

Man I'm so happy right now that this went up by 50% on previews!!!! I hope it makes as much as it can, it's such a good movie, and I was pretty jaded on every non-Wondy DCEU film released before this came out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2k said:

If Thor1 pre MCU popularity did 65+ and GOTG1 post MCU popularity did close to 95, WB should have made 55+ ow a breeze for Shazam post big success like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lack of action (if at all that's the case) isn't excuse enough. Thor1 and GOTG1 weren't huge SHs before MCU made them so.

That's my point. People are way pumped up for Endgame to care enough for Shazam! right now. Releasing it by the end of the year would definitely fix that. I'd give Shazam! the Joker release date and make Joker an August release.

Pretty good preview number so I’m definitely happy about that. China is pretty much done for Shazam as the movie didn’t play well there(maybe 50m total). Have to wait to see at the end of the weekend with overseas numbers to see what it can finish at overall but at least the preview number improved. 

Edited by cax16

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ok now im getting annoyed. Tracking had PS at mid-to high 20s and thats where it will land. It has a 20M budget and probably only needs like 70M WW to break even. It will be a nice little success for Paramount. Making it PG-13 would have been a terrible idea considering the source material. Get out with this pessimism.

US was tracking at $50m and ended doing $73m, Horror movies are almost always underestimated by tracking services.

- It had a good marketing campaign.

- Decent reviews.

- It's a King adaptation coming just after the biggest Horror movie ever made (IT).

- It has nostalgia behind the property to bring adults.

- It started the week with strong presales which pointed out to a breakout.

Even BOM, a site that always underestimate Horror movie had it at $30m+ for the weekend.

It is a disappointing number.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Eh, I don't think so.

It went up by almost 50% from DHD guestimates. As long as it does 9x from these previews it should be good, especially since it burnt off a lot of this potential demand via Fandango. If it hits 10x or $60m OW, it's gonna be really good for this $80m-budget film, especially since it has 3 weeks to itself (Lionsgate is already hiding Hellboy) and WoM should be stellar. When the DCEU makes a film that audiences like, they seem to really like it (although Aquaman's legs were inflated due to X-Mas)

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wonder how Doctor Sleep will fare considering it’s a Stephen King film but also a sequel to The Shining. 

Doctor Sleep will be a big hit. 

Shining is universally loved as of now. Not only in America but WW.