TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yep if Shazam fails to hit 400 it's the fault of WB. 450 probably was obtainable with a little effort on their part. Perhaps they really did want to spend as little as possible. Makes the break even easier I guess.

Is 400 some magical number? Why does it need to hit that with a 80-100 mil budget? I don’t remember anyone saying that Paramount/Marvel should have pushed Thor over 450M. And that movie had a 150 mil budget. In fact, it was viewed such a success that it got two sequels. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

One has nothing to do with the other.  I didn't claim the MCU films were original.  

But any excuse for an MCU jab no matter how misplaced.  How original.

It's because except for some people nobody liked the movie hence rage is diverted :ph34r:

I dunno, no one I've talked to liked Us. Am I just being nitpicky? Or do I have some agenda against the movie by saying this? No of course not, I just don't think the movie was hated as much as its detractors want to make it out to be, nor do I think it was as beloved as its champions want to make it out to be either. 

It had a fantastic opening and pretty average legs from there. I think that speaks to its reception at least a bit. The people who wanted to see it saw it, and not enough other people were interested to be enticed to see a movie they initially wouldn't have wanted to. It certainly didn't have BAD word of mouth, since poorly-received horror movies can drop 65-75% second weekend if audiences hate them. It just isn't the word-of-mouth monster I've been reading people say it is. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Again, it's in the company of a very shortlist of animated films ever to miss 3x though. That just doesn't happen. So the performance is still rather shocking to me. 

The Dragon franchise just never entered the pop culture lexicon like the top animated franchises have or even after the first one came out like everyone expected. The second one dipped a bit when everyone expected an increase (a big one, in some cases; I think BOM predicted it to be the biggest movie that summer back in the day). Dragon 3 was clearly even more of a niche affair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Dragon franchise just never entered the pop culture lexicon like the top animated franchises have or even after the first one came out like everyone expected. The second one dipped a bit when everyone expected an increase (a big one, in some cases; I think BOM predicted it to be the biggest movie that summer back in the day). Dragon 3 was clearly even more of a niche affair.

also Captain Marvel hurt it bad third weekend

Feb 22–24 1 $55,022,245 - 4,259 - $12,919 $57,522,245 1
Mar 1–3 1 $30,028,540 -45.4% 4,286 +27 $7,006 $97,678,815 2
Mar 8–10 2 $14,685,005 -51.1% 4,042 -244 $3,633 $119,651,130 3

8 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Is 400 some magical number? Why does it need to hit that with a 80-100 mil budget? 

Because it was obtainable and frankly just the perception of it. They spent so little marketing this movie. They did an awful job and should be called out on it. The more it makes the better. I mean DC fans still call Ant-Man a flop despite it making 519 million 4 years ago.

They will get a sequel at 380 or at 420 regardless, but I'd like WB to up their game like they did with Aquaman. I want to see awesome films from both and see both succeed.

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Because it was obtainable and frankly just the perception of it. They spent so little marketing this movie. They did an awful job and should be called out on it. The more it makes the better. I mean DC fans still call Ant-Man a flop despite it making 519 million 4 years ago.

I’m a dc fan and never called that movie or any movie a flop. Stop grouping millions of people together cause of a few hundred posts you see online. They’re toxic fans from all fandoms. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I dunno, no one I've talked to liked Us. Am I just being nitpicky? Or do I have some agenda against the movie by saying this? No of course not, I just don't think the movie was hated as much as its detractors want to make it out to be, nor do I think it was as beloved as its champions want to make it out to be either. 

It had a fantastic opening and pretty average legs from there. I think that speaks to its reception at least a bit. The people who wanted to see it saw it, and not enough other people were interested to be enticed to see a movie they initially wouldn't have wanted to. It certainly didn't have BAD word of mouth, since poorly-received horror movies can drop 65-75% second weekend if audiences hate them. It just isn't the word-of-mouth monster I've been reading people say it is. 

I would say the "mixed" reception gave it very good word of mouth because it's the kind of attitude of "you need to see it for yourself" 

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

interesting that Shazam has a Ramones song in the credits and Pet Sematary has a cover of a Ramones song its credits

I just noticed that Pet Sematary has gone from like a 90% RT score to barely being in the red within a week. Just goes to show that you always gotta take the receptions coming from these non-Sundance/TIFF/Telluride/Cannes type of festivals in which fanboy/clickbait-friendly websites are more welcomed with a grain of salt. 

Edited by filmlover

Just now, cdsacken said:

I have never heard or seen anyone call Antman a flop. If they have, then that is just nonsense. It got a sequel which showed the studio was happy with the original. So you think studios should be guided by perception and not dollars and cents? If they spent very little on marketing, it is probably because they felt that they could make the profit they wanted to make without it. The latest Deadline article quoting WB execs reveals their strategy. Hence, the sneak peaks, etc.. There is not a one size fits all formula for every movie. Shazam is fine! It could make 250-300 million and probably be profitable. 

This is the list HTTYD3 is joining for animated movies that made at least 50m total DOM and missed 3x. 

Shrek the Third

Minions 

Madagascar 2

Sausage Party

Pokemon the First Movie

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie 

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

TMNT 

So I guess maybe you could argue Madagascar 2 is a bit comparable in decent reception and still missed? Sausage Party is obviously its own thing and Pokemon and Spongebob obviously had huge fan rush from the TV shows. Interestingly enough, LEGO 2 just barely eeked past a 3x, despite a low opening and what seemed to be decent reception. I really hope this isn't the new trend for animation. One of the few mediums we've had left where we can still see healthy multis consistently, would suck to lost that. 

The only place I’ve heard anything overly negative things about Us has been in the weekend threads here, lol.

It’s dropping like a standard horror film, and this weekend it had 25m in competition taking up screens and showtimes.  The takes here about apparently Us being reviled or some shit are false and annoying.

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

oh also yeah if Shazam doesn't hit 400M (with 160M opening i don't see why it wouldnt) then that would be a failure. I mean theyve spent best part of $200M on it, maybe more, WB would defo not be happy with that performance. For a tentpole superhero film to do less than 400M, when was the last time that happened? Fantr4nktic? Power Rangers? Obviously not a bomb on that level but it just doesn't happen.

Edited by Avatree
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

@baumer is probably the biggest horror fan I know. And watches a lot of other genres too (still do not agree with some reactions 😉 ), so.... if he didn't click with US, I am not surprised the horror inclined part of the GA did not click in the expected b some others numbers.

And its fans might hae felt like 'can't wait to see' = causing a really good OW.

Most people go to the movies together with others, some of those 'and plus' might not want to rewatch it, or think the twists are already known, or whatever, so... waiting for HV for the ones who liked it or going alone.

Same with Shazam! Its not for everyone, it might get a nice push in the upcoming easter holidays, especially as the under 17 group seems to be rather big, so wait and see where it ends.

Over the long-range-tracking it seems.

As I've already written today referring to Pet Sematary, there has been a problem for a long time with horror that if one doesn't like a movie purely on its subjective qualities - which many people try to suppress anyway - that it is easy to dismiss as trash. And rather than fighting against these tendencies self-proclaimed horror fans all too often actually exacerbate the problem. 

So we've now found ourselves in a situation that in order to be received really positively a horror movie has to either straddle another genre (To whit: A Quiet Place straddling family drama, IT straddling the nostalgia factor, and countless films like Silence of the Lambs/Sixth Sense/Signs straddling thriller) or play the pure jump scare factory game (The Conjuring, Don't Breathe, Lights Out, Insidious, Paranormal Activity)

So when dealing with horror movies that actually try to do something with the genre it gets even worse. Hereditary, The Witch, Neon Demon all are films that *should* be rampantly supported even by horror fans who don't subjectively go for them because they all have interesting rationales, are well executed and are doing something with the genre - but all of those movies have huge numbers of detractors within the horror community when they're a hard enough sell to the mainstream audience in the first place. But seemingly at least half of horror fandom sees something they don't go for and rather than evaluating it outside of whether they specifically like it simply dismiss it as trash.

Us has found itself in a really odd position, because as a stye of film it is far more of the Hereditary, Witch style (although not as good as either, mostly for the simple reason of the plot falling apart in the third act) auteur movie than the straddle-mainstream movies. Get Out was a straddle-mainstream movie, and in my opinion was so not just because of the sociological and demographic aspects but more so because it played as a well crafted mystery drama/thriller more than it played as an actual horror movie. Us, for anything else about it, IS 100% a horror movie. From start to finish.

I get your point about it *seeming* four quadrant, because the Peele fandom created that monster, but it created it with a movie that was different and far more mainstream in its style than Us is. 

So, essentially, I think it is a unique box office creature that is by its nature going to be an anomaly one way or another. It is the least mainstream movie to have opened to this kind of figure for a very, very long time and has only done so because of a rather unique set of circumstances.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

oh also yeah if Shazam doesn't hit 400M (with 160M opening i don't see why it wouldnt) then that would be a failure. I mean theyve spent best part of $200M on it, maybe more, WB would defo not be happy with that performance. For a tentpole superhero film to do less than 400M, when was the last time that happened? Fantr4nktic? Power Rangers? Obviously not a bomb on that level but it just doesn't happen.

With a budget of $81m?

Just now, terrestrial said:

With a budget of $81m?

deadline says production budget $100M, with marketing that will be near $200M. the point is it is a tentpole. under 400M would be bad.

• Thanks 1