TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Dragon franchise just never entered the pop culture lexicon like the top animated franchises have or even after the first one came out like everyone expected. The second one dipped a bit when everyone expected an increase (a big one, in some cases; I think BOM predicted it to be the biggest movie that summer back in the day). Dragon 3 was clearly even more of a niche affair.

It's also concurrently had 6 years of back to back animated series since the first film which might make for a more fervent fan base who show up early  but lessened demand for others b/c they can watch 6 years worth of story on Netflix etc and wait for the movie to join it.

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’m a dc fan and never called that movie or any movie a flop. Stop grouping millions of people together cause of a few hundred posts you see online. They’re toxic fans from all fandoms. 

A DC fan got booted from this forum for crap against CM. I'm not say every single DC fan said it but type in Ant Man flop into Google and let me know what you find.

Again I want Shazam to be seen as a success from all sides, frankly just in general. If a DC hater disagrees it doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Isn't alita only postponed to Feb on Oct18?

Before alita was postponed, there was no live action tent-pole during February.    

Exactly this. 

WB also could have switched Shazam and LEGO 2’s release date. That would’ve given Shazam the ability to get a head of the captain marvel/endgame hurricane. 

• Like 2

Just now, cdsacken said:

A DC fan got booted from this forum for crap against CM. I'm not say every single DC fan said it but type in Ant Man flop into Google and let me know what you find.

Again I want Shazam to be seen as a success from all sides, frankly just in general. If a DC hater disagrees it doesn't really matter.

As I said, a few hundred tweets and or posts/articles from toxic fandom doesn’t equal DC fandom. That’s why I said it’s wrong to generalize. 

Either way, not something I care to discuss anymore. 

Shazam is not suffering from Captain Marvel and Avengers. It was never going to be a hit on that kind of scale. Ant-Man performance was always where any reasonable person was expecting it to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

deadline says production budget $100M, with marketing that will be near $200M. the point is it is a tentpole. under 400M would be bad.

No way. I seriously doubt that. Also 380 would be less than ideal but not that bad. Profitable enough to green light a sequel.

Just now, cdsacken said:

No way. I seriously doubt that. Also 380 would be less than ideal but not that bad. Profitable enough to green light a sequel.

why would you doubt that? It's a full scale big budget superhero film, the fact it only cost $100M is a credit to WB for keeping budget tight. 

Also no way the film will do less than 400M off of a 160M opening and very positive reception. 

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

deadline says production budget $100M, with marketing that will be near $200M. the point is it is a tentpole. under 400M would be bad.

So which is it? Is it that they spent too much on marketing (100 mil, which I need to see documented) or that they spent too little? Some people are twisting themselves in knots to make Shazam’s first week look like an underperformance or a failure of some sorts. Maybe it falls off a cliff from here on out, but right now it is all good. 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Exactly this. 

WB also could have switched Shazam and LEGO 2’s release date. That would’ve given Shazam the ability to get a head of the captain marvel/endgame hurricane. 

The hurricane hasn’t hurt their bottom line so far. 

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

So which is it? Is it that they spent too much on marketing (100 mil, which I need to see documented) or that they spent too little? Some people are twisting themselves in knots to make Shazam’s first week look like an underperformance or a failure of some sorts. Maybe it falls off a cliff from here on out, but right now it is all good. 

No you are the one twisting things. I just said Shazam has done well.

Who is saying they spent too little? What do you mean?

And no you wont see documented budgets of movies, you never do, no one knows how much is spent on these we can only guess. Which is why I said "the best part of $200M", not "200M", i.e. somewhere in range of $150-200M) 

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

why would you doubt that? It's a full scale big budget superhero film, the fact it only cost $100M is a credit to WB for keeping budget tight. 

Also no way the film will do less than 400M off of a 160M opening and very positive reception. 

Hopefully but End Game is going hurt the legs bad in a couple weeks, and Pikachu as well. We'll see. I still think 180m DOM is likely. 3.1 is a very high multiplier given the competition.

Edited by cdsacken

Just now, cdsacken said:

Hopefully but End Game is going hurt the legs bad in a couple weeks, and Pikachu as well. We'll see. I still think 180m DOM is likely. 3.0 is a very high multiplier given the competition.

endgame will not really affect legs, that's in shazams 4th week by which time it'll have made vast majority of its money anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

endgame will not really affect legs, that's in shazams 4th week by which time it'll have made vast majority of its money anyway.

It will start affecting by Wednesday the 24th, 21 days into release. Usually the best legs are the late ones. I suspect they will be atrocious for the entire next month following.

I very much hope for a very strong hold next week maybe 30+ million and a follow up of next week for like 18+. That would help tremendously.

Edited by cdsacken

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

not again.

Deadline wrote that 2 weeks before Variety, THR,... all wrote $80,. $81m or $85m

Only Deadline and BOM have more, The-Numbers.com gave $85m and they are often on the higher side.

Even in this thread is a tweet saying $80m by a pro account, strenghtening the under $90m version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

not again.

Deadline wrote that 2 weeks before Variety, THR,... all wrote $80,. $81m or $85m

Only Deadline and BOM have more, The-Numbers.com gave $85m and they are often on the higher side.

Even in this thread is a tweet saying $80m by a pro account, strenghtening the under $90m version.

okay I hadn't seen that, I'd only read deadline reports and thats the number I saw. My point still stands: I will bet WB did not greenlight this on the hope of doing $350M worldwide.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

okay I hadn't seen that, I'd only read deadline reports and thats the number I saw. My point still stands: I will bet WB did not greenlight this on the hope of doing $350M worldwide.

Honestly considering how little they marketed it, maybe they were fine with just or a bit more.