TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

Shazam has bomber over here, unsurprisingly (it was dumped by WB), and it will struggle to reach €5m (for sake of comparison, Aquaman did nearly €14m in Spain). Conversely, Dumbo is doing great; it's fallen less than 20%. Easter Holidays will cut off legs (moviegoing slows considerably as people travel), but it's poised to gross in the middle €10s. It has already surpassed Cinderella, although it won't match Jungle Book or BATB.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Haha 1

It does seem that WB only heavily marketed Shazam in some countries. I live in Europe and have seen no tv spots or other marketing for Shazam. Seems WB never thought Shazam would be liked overseas. In the US it seems that WB put much money into marketing Shazam, probably because they knew that the American box office would make or break Shazam.

36 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Shazam has bomber over here, unsurprisingly (it was dumped by WB), and it will struggle to reach €5m (for sake of comparison, Aquaman did nearly €14m in Spain). Conversely, Dumbo is doing great; it's fallen less than 20%. Easter Holidays will cut off legs (moviegoing slows considerably as people travel), but it's poised to gross in the middle €10s. It has already surpassed Cinderella, although it won't match Jungle Book or BATB.

Easter Holidays is one of the better dates for the boxoffice! 

BvS did €5.45M in 5 days(€2.61M on Thursday a God's Friday) 

And one year ago RP1 opened with €2.5M, Peter Rabbit incressed 1%, La Tribu only dropped a 12% and Red Sparrow 14%.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

Easter Holidays is one of the better dates for the boxoffice! 

BvS did €5.45M in 5 days(€2.61M on Thursday a God's Friday) 

And one year ago RP1 opened with €2.5M, Peter Rabbit incressed 1%, La Tribu only dropped a 12% and Red Sparrow 14%.

Heh, you're right. I looked at the wrong dates for last years' Easters. Dumbo might be able to finish not too far behind Jungle Book, then.

Somebody slap me.

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Aside from marketing and both were likely $100m+

Rampage

US:  $101m x .55 =  $55.55m

OS-China: $170.6m x.40 = $68.24m

China: $156.38m x .25% = $39.09m

= $162.885m  from theatrical

I'll low ball Shazam! for the sake of your comparison with a $372m WW B.O.

U.S.: $160m  x .55 = $88m

OS-C =$170m x.40 = $68m

China: $42m x.25 = $10.5m

=$166.5m  from theatrical

Shazam! would bring in more theatrical revenue even with $56m less in WW box office and would bring in far larger ancillaries b/c of the size of it's US v China share - with a $20-40m lower budget

China is 21%

25% is of Nett box office i.e. the gross that is reported - GST(VAT) - Ticket Booking Charges.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, jf8350143 said:

After that Saturday drop, he Sunday drop was higher than I expected. But 53M is good enough I guess.

Schools according to Deadline are fulyl back in this week so I'd also expect a largish Monday drop and we'll start seeing the big Friday jumps again.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Don't wanna hear it.

This is like when people say the gender pay gap is like 20% as a median of all incomes when the real gender pay gap is 4% between comparable experience and job level. 

Its like you try to raise an important issue but in how you frame the issue, one loses credibility. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Shazam marketing in Spain was so bad. I didn't see a single poster on the streets until Friday 5th and I saw a lot of posters in bus stations and train stations for Pet Sematary and Dumbo who is doing so good in Spain. I watched it last Wednesday at 10PM and the theater was full. It will outgross Captain Marvel.

• Like 1