cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

Trailer was fine, when they first announced the sequel years ago I thought for sure it would make more then number one but with the landscape of the dc movies I think this will struggle to make 300m. I’m sure the movie is gonna be good, I like Sandberg a lot but at this point I don’t see this making too much. Hope I’m wrong. 

Yeah, this like Quantumania seems to be taking the charm from a superhero movie or movies, I really enjoy in exchange for generic end of the world events. At least the family is still a key component but they fumbled in not doing Mister Mind.

That way it could be both epic and lowkey, like the mind control caterpillar could just be leeching off the Shazamily powers whilst going on crime sprees and mentally manipulating them into turning against each other. 

Looks fine? If you squint you can see the more light hearted comedy bits straining to be seen beneath all of the CGI explosions, so I’m hoping it’s just a middling action heavy trailer that they cut together to appeal to the people who found the original too teen orientated.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yeah, this like Quantumania seems to be taking the charm from a superhero movie or movies, I really enjoy in exchange for generic end of the world events. At least the family is still a key component but they fumbled in not doing Mister Mind.

That way it could be both epic and lowkey, like the mind control caterpillar could just be leeching off the Shazamily powers whilst going on crime sprees and mentally manipulating them into turning against each other. 

The tonal shift in Quantumania works because they're going up against an iconic enemy of the Marvel comics. It's also the third movie instead of the first sequel, so raising the stakes is in order.

Absolutely agree with your idea for Mind. Under the whole LAWL FUNNY TALKING WORM HEUHUEHUE facade lies an egomaniac genius who can honestly give Lex Luthor a run for his money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Why is this thread so negative? I'm not a big Shazam fan but I got emotional watching the trailer. I feel for Freddie and Billy. 

It seems like the trailer invoked the same feeling in a lot of people. I was coming here to say what I now realize several people have already said.

This trailer made me realize that it's not just the quality of CGI I have a problem with (I harp on it a lot, I know). It's these scripts that necessitate it being there in the first place. Why does everything need to have some world shattering event with mystical creatures, things erupting from the ground and buildings tumbling down? It's getting old and boring, and probably would still be old and boring even if the visuals were James Cameron level.

It's weird to see so many similar reactions. I thought it was just me.

Edited by Verrows

3 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

You guys hate anything not Disney 

I don't think it's that. People are invested in the MCU so they forgive a lot of shortcomings (and there are a lot, coming from a big MCU fan). Nobody is invested in DC, especially not now, so there's nothing really about a movie like this that they can forgive the shortcomings in favour of (like the characters and their journeys, the over arching narrative etc.).

I mean, a lot of people are invested in DC. But more in general, and not like, specific franchises (besides that one group).

I think a lot of DC fans just have expectations that have not been met on a consistent basis, so it's always a bummer when another film comes along which doesn't seemingly meet what they want (that Marvel success)