cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

Looking at the 2022 release schedule, yeah, I don’t think they had very many options for when to release this movie. Marvel has a whopping grand total of four films coming out that year. Better this movie be scheduled a week apart from the Spider-Verse sequel than for it to be scheduled a week or two apart from BP2. 

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

That would make this just one week before Spiderverse 2. Gonna have terrible legs. 

People don't care much about animated superhero movies, the first Spiderverse got a lot of hype from reviews and even won Oscar and the movie was not big on BO, I don't think it will have  influence on Shazam 2 BO run like Endgame.

Edited by Marcos12
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

4 months after Black Adam

which leads me on think that Black Adam will be making an appreance in the post credit sequence to set up Shazam 3.Pretty obvious move since Adam got his start as a Shazam villain. The two facing off is sort of inevitable.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Wb learned nothing. Shazam would have done 500+ if released in December or maybe even Summer. 

Shazam2 will be gobbled up by spider verse and MCU blockbusters coming then.

This is total BS.
Last  time I looked, Shazam and the Spideyverse ended up not that far apart in final gross,and had roughly the same level of success;not a blockbuster, but a good return on investment for the studios.

If DC can keep the budget down to Shazam levels, Shazam 2 will do fine for them.

And December and Summer would have been even more crowded with competion.

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

I assume they’re banking on Black Adam doing well and they’ll probably have a post credit scene leading into Shazam 2. 

As long the budget is kept in line this should do fine. I would prefer a few more weeks between this and spiderverse but we’ll see what happens between now and the release date. 

I don't think Black Adam is going to be in Shazam 2 much..the League of Evil Monsters have aleady been set up as the big bads for that film....but I would bet a lot of money that Black Adam appears in the Shazam 2 post credit sequence to set up Shazam 3.

Holy crap, Asher Angel is going to be almost 20 by the time this movie is released. I know that an adult playing a minor is nothing new in Hollywood (it’s exactly what Tom Holland is doing with Spider-Man), but I’d have to assume that he’s going to look a good deal older by the time they film this movie. That’s to say nothing of the film after that. 

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Holy crap, Asher Angel is going to be almost 20 by the time this movie is released. I know that an adult playing a minor is nothing new in Hollywood (it’s exactly what Tom Holland is doing with Spider-Man), but I’d have to assume that he’s going to look a good deal older by the time they film this movie. That’s to say nothing of the film after that. 

Problem is that Billy in the Shazam films is supposed to be quite a bit younger then Peter Parker in the Spidey films, and I think it will be a problem.

Billy is a kid, Parker is a teenager. Huge difference.

I just don't think an adult BIlly turning into Shazam is going to work.

Edited by dudalb

Lol they’ll just use de-aging technology for the kids if they have to like they did with IT2, it’s really not a big deal. I’d assume after Shazam 2 the Shazam family won’t be as involved if I had to guess and if they ever do a team up again they’ll probably just use Angel/Levi only in that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is that Billy in the Shazam films is supposed to be quite a bit younger then Peter Parker in the Spidey films, and I think it will be a problem.

Billy is a kid, Parker is a teenager. Huge difference.

I just don't think an adult BIlly turning into Shazam is going to work.

Actually, Billy is a teenager in the films. The first film established that he was 14 going on 15. It would’ve been better if they had him be a pre-teen, but I guess that would’ve been difficult to work with. 

8 hours ago, Marcos12 said:

People don't care much about animated superhero movies, the first Spiderverse got a lot of hype from reviews and even won Oscar and the movie was not big on BO, I don't think it will have  influence on Shazam 2 BO run like Endgame.

And yet Spiderverse made much more than Shazam at the box office

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

22 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Actually, Billy is a teenager in the films. The first film established that he was 14 going on 15. It would’ve been better if they had him be a pre-teen, but I guess that would’ve been difficult to work with. 

But he's a Junior High age teenager, Peter Parker is more High School Senior;still an age difference.

16 hours ago, Immortal said:

And yet Spiderverse made much more than Shazam at the box office

But not that much more. Both were successful, both found an audience.

Problem some people are acting like Spideyverse was a massive success, and Shazam was some kind of failure.

ANyway, I think there is room for both. Spideyverse and Aquaman did not hurt each other.

23 hours ago, cax16 said:

Lol they’ll just use de-aging technology for the kids if they have to like they did with IT2, it’s really not a big deal. I’d assume after Shazam 2 the Shazam family won’t be as involved if I had to guess and if they ever do a team up again they’ll probably just use Angel/Levi only in that. 

Unless they want to do the storyline where Mary gets the  powers of Black Adam....

16 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

We're seriously acting like Spider-Verse was so huge that other movies should stay away from it? lol

Unless another Endgame pops up out of nowhere, the date is fine

The SpideyVerse movie...and I really liked it a lot...was a solid success but not some box office giant that crushed all before it.

Aquaman could live with SV so Shazam should be just fine.

The bigger problem is that Shazam wasn't exactly a hit, in fact it was the lowest grossing DC movie in recent years by a large margin. At least it was relatively cheap but typically sequels are more expensive. It is a bit surprising that Warner is going ahead with S2 but it is nice for its fans. Warner may hope for a mini BB->TDK growth or maybe they have some kind of plan with The Rock's movie.

• Like 1