cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

14 minutes ago, Welcbr12 said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-shazam-2-opening-weekend-stumbles-1235558787/

“Shazam: Fury of the Gods” opened to No. 1 in North America, but the Warner Bros. and DC Comics sequel fell short of expectations with its disappointing $30.5 million debut from 4,071 theaters. Heading into the weekend, the film was expected to collect $35 million to $40 million, which already wasn’t all that spectacular since it cost north of $110 million to make and another $100 million to market.

This movie is a disaster 

Dude, we get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bummer it isn’t doing well. I thought it was fantastic and what audience there was (about 20) at my screening this afternoon all seemed got enjoy it. Lots of laugh out loud moments and everyone stayed for the after credits stuff. My only complaint is that it seemed a bit too long, but all these CMBs seems too long these days and at least this one had the excuse of having to work in both an adult and child cast as the heroes. 9/10 in my book but sadly I’m just one ticket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Welcbr12 said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-shazam-2-opening-weekend-stumbles-1235558787/

“Shazam: Fury of the Gods” opened to No. 1 in North America, but the Warner Bros. and DC Comics sequel fell short of expectations with its disappointing $30.5 million debut from 4,071 theaters. Heading into the weekend, the film was expected to collect $35 million to $40 million, which already wasn’t all that spectacular since it cost north of $110 million to make and another $100 million to market.

This movie is a disaster 

Shazam! Fury of the Gods makes history as the first movie to spend $100m on invisible marketing

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods makes history as the first movie to spend $100m on invisible marketing

According the quorum, awareness went from 38% in December to 54% at release. they may have overstated marketing size but you can pretty clearly see the studio short and long range marketing kicking in. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cax16 said:

Lol there’s zero chance they spent 100m on marketing, no way Zaslav would approve that. Even with that it doesn’t change the fact that the movie flopped. 

100m isn’t really that much is it? Seems like the right ballpark to me at least even if it might be rounded

I'm really sad this is flopping. I get why Warner is burying it, but I really liked it. During the pretty mediocre second act I was worried it wouldn't recover, but it gets a massive boost in quality in the third act which ultimately made me glad I saw it. I'm still glad we got two movies about such a niche character, and I'm going to miss this cast. Hopefully both they and Sandberg will continue to be in major projects in the near future.

• Like 2

Hmmm. Not really sure how I feel about this movie. Very much on the edge of 5/10 for me but could go lower or slightly higher. The humour didn't really work for me. Zachary Levy was quite annoying throughout. He crossed the line, whereas in the first he rode it well. I think it didn't help that we saw SO MUCH of Shazam and so little of Billy to balance it out (it's strange that he plays adult so much younger/sillier than when he's Billy and this was very noticeable here). Also Jack Dylan Grazer crossed well over into annoying with the shouting. Became quite grating, whereas in the first one he was on the right side of snarky and funny. Just overall some pretty bad character work, compounded by not ideal acting. Speaking of...by God, Lucy Liu was terrible. Not in a "scenery chewing, Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons" bad, just outright atrocious. Some of her lines reminded me of Mortal Kombat Annihilation's "Too Bad You Will Die". 

But some of the action was fun, some decent themes still there. Overall just a pile of meh. Hardly offensive, but instantly forgettable, whereas the first was something quite special for me.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmmm. Not really sure how I feel about this movie. Very much on the edge of 5/10 for me but could go lower or slightly higher. The humour didn't really work for me. Zachary Levy was quite annoying throughout. He crossed the line, whereas in the first he rode it well. I think it didn't help that we saw SO MUCH of Shazam and so little of Billy to balance it out (it's strange that he plays adult so much younger/sillier than when he's Billy and this was very noticeable here). Also Jack Dylan Grazer crossed well over into annoying with the shouting. Became quite grating, whereas in the first one he was on the right side of snarky and funny. Just overall some pretty bad character work, compounded by not ideal acting. Speaking of...by God, Lucy Liu was terrible. Not in a "scenery chewing, Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons" bad, just outright atrocious. Some of her lines reminded me of Mortal Kombat Annihilation's 

I honestly don't know why people keep casting her. Ecks vs. Sever was pretty damning.

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it, it’s a shame that it’s bombing. It loses me a bit when it goes full CBM in the third act a bit just because it isn’t doing anything that we haven’t seen before really (a complaint that can be made about every CBM lately, so not specific to Shazam), but all of the family scenes and comedy really worked for me. Helen Mirren reading the letter absolutely killed me, likewise every scene with Djimon Hounsou who was really fun in a comedic role.

Its a shame that this is probably the end for this incarnation of the character, I’d have liked to have seen more.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmmm. Not really sure how I feel about this movie. Very much on the edge of 5/10 for me but could go lower or slightly higher. The humour didn't really work for me. Zachary Levy was quite annoying throughout. He crossed the line, whereas in the first he rode it well. I think it didn't help that we saw SO MUCH of Shazam and so little of Billy to balance it out (it's strange that he plays adult so much younger/sillier than when he's Billy and this was very noticeable here). Also Jack Dylan Grazer crossed well over into annoying with the shouting. Became quite grating, whereas in the first one he was on the right side of snarky and funny. Just overall some pretty bad character work, compounded by not ideal acting. Speaking of...by God, Lucy Liu was terrible. Not in a "scenery chewing, Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons" bad, just outright atrocious. Some of her lines reminded me of Mortal Kombat Annihilation's "Too Bad You Will Die". 

But some of the action was fun, some decent themes still there. Overall just a pile of meh. Hardly offensive, but instantly forgettable, whereas the first was something quite special for me.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Everyone's obnoxiousness was really cranked up, the themes were good but underexplored, and Levi was just unbearable in this one 90% of the time. They took everything I loved about Shazam! And shoved it like hot coals down our throats. And while overall I liked the 3rd act, that one scene (you know the one) was so tonally jarring, shoehorned, and ruined an otherwise great emotional moment. Wouldn't be surprised if it's on my "worst scenes of the year list" by the end of 2023.

16 hours ago, Welcbr12 said:

This movie is a disaster 

I guarantee it didn't cost $100 mil to market, lmao

5 hours ago, Dragoncaine said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. Everyone's obnoxiousness was really cranked up, the themes were good but underexplored, and Levi was just unbearable in this one 90% of the time. They took everything I loved about Shazam! And shoved it like hot coals down our throats. And while overall I liked the 3rd act, that one scene (you know the one) was so tonally jarring, shoehorned, and ruined an otherwise great emotional moment. Wouldn't be surprised if it's on my "worst scenes of the year list" by the end of 2023.

My opinion exactly except for the third act, which I thought pretty much sucked., It tries like hell to have the heart the first one had, but fails miserably.

And after seeing it i am now convinced this was a Spiderman 3 Scenario. The filmakers really wanted to do the League Of Evil Monsters storyline set up in the post title credits of the first, but had a Greek Myth based storyline shoved down their throats by the Studio, which wanted this film to tie in with BLack Adam's myth based story line.

A few clever moments....I liked the tribute to Ray Harryhausen by using his design for the Cyclops. only smaller...but a huge let down overall, and despite the post credit scene set up, we will probably not get a third Shazam film with ther way this one is underperfoming. I think, not just at Warners but for studios, the borderline sequels are not going to be made. Money is tighter then it used to be.

As for Marketing, the studio execs saw the finished film, thought it chances of being a box office hit were small, and decided not to add to the red ink by a big marketing campaign for a film that probably couod not be saved. You have to know when to cut your losses and not throw good money away after bad.

Edited by dudalb

i-cant-deal-with-this-cant-handle.gif

The rock is so dumb lol, gave him the benefit of the doubt before but what a mistake that was. I can’t even go into other details cause of spoilers but man this guy needs to get his ego in check, what a moron. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

i-cant-deal-with-this-cant-handle.gif

The rock is so dumb lol, gave him the benefit of the doubt before but what a mistake that was. I can’t even go into other details cause of spoilers but man this guy needs to get his ego in check, what a moron. 

he become what he hated.

Insiders: Vin Diesel Killed a ‘Fate of the Furious’ Scene With The Rock and Jason Statham (Exclusive)

• Like 1