cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

I just wanna add, I don’t think Shazam doing a post credit scene in Black Adam would of changed the fate of the box office much, but the rock wanting nothing to do with Shazam is just so dumb, leadership for DC/WB has been so dumb.

oh well, probably for the best tbh. Now I get to see a new Superman movie by James Gunn

• Like 10

On 3/20/2023 at 7:06 AM, Saul Goodman said:

So HBO Max release should be early, innit. Especially with John Wick 4 and D&D taking its screens in the upcoming weeks!

Yeah, about that... The Hollywood Handle on Twitter: "‘SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS’ releases on digital platforms on April 18 Read our review: https://t.co/dAAUSZ9tok https://t.co/QJS8LKBZq0" / Twitter

Honestly, I think studios are killing these movies with their earlier and earlier release windows for digital. So many people are getting used to just waiting a month or two and they can watch the movies on streaming that it's starting to take a toll on the box office. And with studios also realizing that streaming isn't the big money maker that they thought it was, they really should reconsider extending theater exclusivity. Even if the movie's not in theaters by then, it will add more of an eagerness to watch future movies in theaters if they can't just wait a couple months (or in this case a month) to see it on streaming.

For instance, I was actually entertaining the idea of going to see it again but with it releasing on streaming in a month, why bother? Edit: Apparently digital platforms don't include HBO Max but my point still stands.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

I forgot until recently, but Dwayne was rumored to play John Stewart like a decade ago, and he was trying to push some "Green Lantern can beat up Superman" shit too like he did with Black Adam. I think in the end, all he really wanted to do with these movies was stroke his ego and go after Superman specifically so he can look cool. Which like at this point...just write some fanfiction you big weirdo.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Considering how badly he wants to fight Superman...I think he could've made a fun (and different) spin on Lex Luthor. Charismatic publicly, evil in private.

Wait...shit, that's actually a legit good idea. The Lex Luthor in the Animated Series even looks like The Rock, right down to the Bruce Timm-style proportions.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Considering how badly he wants to fight Superman...I think he could've made a fun (and different) spin on Lex Luthor. Charismatic publicly, evil in private.

The issue there is that Luthor is not a physical adversary for Superman, he makes Superman's life worse but through manipulation of other villains and systems. Geoff Johns really loved putting Luthor in his power suit but even he was never stupid enough to make it a one-on-one fight between power suit Luthor and Superman.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I covered similar ground in my comment from last month which itself was based on things from last year

I know. I’m not denying that The Rock has a silly ego that made him not want to associate with the Shazam movies. I just think it’s dumb how the article is trying to imply that he’s the one who doomed Shazam 2. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I know. I’m not denying that The Rock has a silly ego that made him not want to associate with the Shazam movies. I just think it’s dumb how the article is trying to imply that he’s the one who doomed Shazam 2. 

He didn’t doom it but having him in the movie and help with hype would have helped for sure. I’m not saying cameos for Shazam in black adam and black adam in Shazam would of made some huge impact but it definitely would of helped.

Either way it worked out for the best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Batson said:

Wait...shit, that's actually a legit good idea. The Lex Luthor in the Animated Series even looks like The Rock, right down to the Bruce Timm-style proportions.

s-l1600.jpg

I kind of like this idea but this would involve The Rock putting aside his ego to lose against Superman. 

Levi had to answer so many questions about black adam and Shazam fighting for so long, he probably feels relieved that can he finally call the rock out lol. Probably not what Gunn and them want at this point but it’s understandable why the Shazam cast and crew would be frustrated with the rock. 

Edited by cax16

Took the 6 to Shazam last night.  I don't know if the reviewers were in a bad mood when they watched this or if it's easy to pile on to a dead DCU world, but this movie is really good!  It's the best super I've seen since The Batman (to include Strange 2, Thor 4, Wakanda Forever, Black Adam, Eternals - since I watched that late, and Morbius - same).  It's funny when it needs to be, dark when it needs to be, and Freddy is the BEST thing about this movie.  I love Freddy.  Give him his own movie, adding in the Wizard (yes, the 2 of them together could have been the movie for 90 minutes and I'd have loved it).  Give Freddy (Jack Dylan Grazer) more work - immediately!  Anyway, the plot worked and actually moved forward in a sensible way, the family themes worked, the acting worked (again, with the MVPs above), and the comedy mostly hit.  A few quibbles here and there, but a definite win for supers quality, if not supers box office.  And the grades

Me - B+/B - I lean B+

Spouse - B - He also really liked it, better than Black Adam, he said

Boy 1 - A-

Buy 2 - A-

Girl 1 - B

Girl 2 - B

Now I will say, the 2 girls dropped their grade b/c they didn't like the last 5 minutes of the movie - yes, the cameo part.  They found that super lame and thought the movie should have ended a certain other way.  I just told them "it's magic and gods, what do you expect", but they wanted more emotional payoff to what they thought was a really great movie til then...

• Like 4

On 3/21/2023 at 7:49 AM, MightyDargon said:

Message to James Gunn: do NOT ever cast a guy with more clout than the rest of the production team as the series villain AND give him spinoffs when you reboot the universe.

Though it turns out the Rock did not have a much clout as he thought he did.

His idea he could somehow come in and take over the DCU is ridiculous. RDJ as Iron Man/Tony Stark was more popular then The rock's BLack Adam could have realistically  hoped to be,  but RDJ, though he certainly has a lot of input on his charecter, did not try to take over the MCU.