cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

This movie is the true definition of "whatever".

It came and it went away. Nobody cares or almost nobody cares. Not good enough to be good, not bad enough to be bad. It was just a movie. 

Trailers were generic, marketing was generic, cast was generic, action was generic, ending was generic, villains were generic. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think maybe we need to look up the definition of meltdown

I wouldn't call this Shazam public comments by various talent "a meltdown" but at least I can squint and see the overall case. However, I don't understand how the specific example cited qualifies,

Shazam, a genuinely good [but not perfect movie - though what movie is perfect and critical score is unfair] “I would love our audience score [on Rotten Tomatoes] to get so dang high, that people are like ‘this doesn’t make any sense’ because it doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t make any sense that we got shook down the way we got shook down.”

"We made it for the fans" type comments like this may be "cringeworthy" to some people but it's a "selling cars" action not a "having a meltdown" one. I mean, Levi's literally telling people to consume his product in that video. There's no real downside for the studio there. No one's losing face because of it, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

What bridges? He hasn't even done anything lmao. 

Exactly. It’s not exactly burning a bridge when Deadline and THR were already talking about The Rock being behind behind the blocking of certain characters being included in Shazam. I mean he hasn’t even specifically said anything shitty about The Rock.

People seem intent on hating this guy when all he’s doing is trying to support a film that he’s clearly passionate about. At least he’s accepting that it’s doing badly and in need of support, which is the polar opposite of how The Rock handled Black Adam’s underperformance by making up numbers and acting like it was a huge success.

• Like 7

It's not really a meltdown, all those videos come off as major desperation though. My guess would be either his career is really hinging on this film not bombing or he traded a bunch of salary for milestone bonuses which quite clearly won't kick in for him, but obviously these videos aren't doing him any favors, the film has bombed and it's too late to change that (even if it wasn't, frankly he's not convincing anyone with those, he's just giving people material to make fun of him).

It's probably not all that harmful but he should still get off socials honestly.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It's not really a meltdown, all those videos come off as major desperation though. My guess would be either his career is really hinging on this film not bombing or he traded a bunch of salary for milestone bonuses which quite clearly won't kick in for him, but obviously these videos aren't doing him any favors, the film has bombed and it's too late to change that (even if it wasn't, frankly he's not convincing anyone with those, he's just giving people material to make fun of him).

It's probably not all that harmful but he should still get off socials honestly.

Was thinking about this earlier... Has any film ever reversed this course? Not like, opened underwhelming but had great legs... but more like really came in low, and something happened to change its fortunes. Like, once a movie bombs on OW, it's over. I don't think any film can escape that.

40 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Was thinking about this earlier... Has any film ever reversed this course? Not like, opened underwhelming but had great legs... but more like really came in low, and something happened to change its fortunes. Like, once a movie bombs on OW, it's over. I don't think any film can escape that.

Puss 2 did it just this Christmas. Of course that film actually had good WOM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

It certainly did not bomb on OW, lol

Puss 2's OW was quite poor. It was pure legs and endurance that made that run impressive. Looking for Dreamworks to announce another Shrek or at least Puss 3 as a result, that movie is like reverse Black Adam for its series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Greatest showman and puss2 are probably the closest thing I can think of domestically I guess. There's bound to be something more but it's just not coming to mind rn.

Edited by JustLurking

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Puss 2's OW was quite poor. It was pure legs and endurance that made that run impressive. Looking for Dreamworks to announce another Shrek or at least Puss 3 as a result, that movie is like reverse Black Adam for its series.

PiB2 OW was poor because it's a sequel to a film 11 years ago that didn't particularly look that good, but it did look different. From that thread, most people expected around a $20 mil OW or so. But taking into account Xmas Eve, I don't think anyone said it bombed opening weekend.

7 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It'a not a meltdown ala Trank, , but  Levi is looking really desperate.

And Shazam 2 is a bomb.pure and simple. Only question is how much will DC lose on it.

Edited by dudalb