sfran43

Monday Numbers: Shazam $3.05M | Pet Sematary $1.59M | US $969K | Dumbo $937K

I’m a little confused at Shazam being labeled as a ‘family film.’

I understand there’s a familial theme throughout, though there’s a lot of graphic and intense content in the film as well. Including one scene that would arguably fit well in a horror film.

I also understand that a child’s maturity and what they can handle can greatly vary depending on each individual, but as a parent of 2 small children I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anyone under 10 watching the film. I’d say the film is best suited for ages 13 on up. (Appropriate for a PG-13 rated film)

After watching Captain Marvel last weekend and Shazam this past weekend, the differences in between the content included is quite drastic. Captain Marvel is a Super Hero film that is easily suitable for all ages, Shazam is not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

I’m a little confused at Shazam being labeled as a ‘family film.’

I understand there’s a familial theme throughout, though there’s a lot of graphic and intense content in the film as well. Including one scene that would arguably fit well in a horror film.

I also understand that a child’s maturity and what they can handle can greatly vary depending on each individual, but as a parent of 2 small children I wouldn’t feel comfortable with anyone under 10 watching the film. I’d say the film is best suited for ages 13 on up. (Appropriate for a PG-13 rated film)

After watching Captain Marvel last weekend and Shazam this past weekend, the differences in between the content included is quite drastic. Captain Marvel is a Super Hero film that is easily suitable for all ages, Shazam is not.

I actually agree that I’d rather take a young child to see CM than Shazam, but the reasons why aren’t clear from the marketing.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Then how could Shazam have recieved an A cinemascore rating? The only way you get an A cinemascore rating is if the audiences liked the movie. Its impossible to get an A if the consensus of the audiences wasn't positive.

I stated that they probably like the movie, but many are not recommending it. It probably got an A Cinemascore because they were entertained by it. You can be entertained by something while believing that that thing is not really worth anyone else’s time. Captain Marvel has a 68% recommend with adults just as a recent superhero comparison. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I stated that they probably like the movie, but many are not recommending it. It probably got an A Cinemascore because they were entertained by it. You can be entertained by something while believing that that thing is not really worth anyone else’s time. Captain Marvel has a 68% recommend with adults just as a recent superhero comparison. 

In Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak exits, Shazam! drew 25% under-18, with males under/over 25 essentially equal at 33%. Kids and parents combined repped 25% of the audience, and both gave this superhero Big-liked pic 4 1/2 stars each. Kids under 12 give it a 72% recommend, while general audiences enjoyed Billy Batson at 4 stars, 61% recommend. Diversity breakdown was 53% Caucasian, 17% Hispanic, 13% Asian and 11% African American. All super stats.

Dude. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Captain Marvel has a 68% recommend with adults just as a recent superhero comparison. 

Where did you find that? The last I read was way higher, but as some groups do not want the character, I wouldn't be surprised if it spreads.

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

CA WS has overlap audience to Shazam!, but definitive not a 100% match.

Plus: that was 5 years back, since then cheap Tuesday becam far bigger, that alone changed pattern.

Plus other marker that changed since then

Btw, also how strong certain sport events got... even that has changed.

It it is one of the lowest rated games according to Deadline, so it is not a matter of the game being bigger. I have not glanced at Captain America’s breakdown, but Shazam’s is mostly male and the overwhelming majority not being kids. Isn’t that the average moviegoing makeup of your average superhero movie? What about that is supposed to be so disparate with respect to who sees Captain America? You have a great argument as to why the Tuesday increase will Ben bigger. You are the only one who has brought up the Tuesday number, though. 

1 hour ago, Finnick said:

I hope you are joking, this movie is more of a Family/Kid movie. Do you realize some animated movies drop 86% on there first Monday. Shazam did well on FSS, with an awesome hold on Saturday and normal drop on Sunday. Plus most of schools and college are on. Shazam Monday box office is just normal. 

Dude, the percentage breakdown is only 25% for parents and kids according to Deadline. The highest demographic is actually men and teenage boys, which usually is the case with superhero movies. You are able to scream about it being a kids movie all you want, but the breakdown is not that of a superhero movie. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

In Screen Engine/ComScore PostTrak exits, Shazam! drew 25% under-18, with males under/over 25 essentially equal at 33%. Kids and parents combined repped 25% of the audience, and both gave this superhero Big-liked pic 4 1/2 stars each. Kids under 12 give it a 72% recommend, while general audiences enjoyed Billy Batson at 4 stars, 61% recommend. Diversity breakdown was 53% Caucasian, 17% Hispanic, 13% Asian and 11% African American. All super stats.

Dude. 

That refutes what I have been stating how? “While general audiences enjoyed Billy Batson at 4 stars, 61% recommend.” The general moviegoers, who are the overwhelming majority of the audience, have way less enthusiasm about the movie.  

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

You are able to scream about it being a kids movie all you want, but the breakdown is not that of a superhero movie. 

1. no one here is screaming

2. you seem to poke a bit (not good)

3. the Tuesday detail is so much known, not everyone remembers to add that to an obviously not that experienced poster

4. advertising and what the WoM will be, often is not the same. Often the audience reactions change who will try for the movie and who not after the OW.

This one seems to be for the families with older boys as children

And so on

Just now, PenguinHyphy said:

That refutes what I have been stating how? “While general audiences enjoyed Billy Batson at 4 stars, 61% recommend.” The general moviegoers, who are the overwhelming majority of the audience, have way less enthusiasm about the movie.  

A recommendation will also be given or not bcs of thinking its for older than expected. Like in this case, a lot here say not for children, start with teenagers. So a family, that went with children, or males... that went, might give a non recommended for that alone.

E.g. a lot of the religious families or audience might give also a not recommendable as they do the same for all movies, that include magic or other supernatural elements, without having a problem with e.g. Sci-Fi.

Example: the first Harry Potter movie had some strong anti reactions. But it had so many fans per books and OW, it didn't matter.

As usual, it is wayyyy too early to judge anything. Still too many possibilities.

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The point is that even you admit that the general word of mouth is good for Shazam. So the drops shouldn't be because of word of mouth reasons. But we will just have to see tomorrow and at the weekend if you are right.

There are no superhero movies that have recieved an A cinemascore and then had bad legs at the box office. If that would happen for Shazam it would be totally unexpected in the genre. So it doesn't make sense for your theory to have any merit, because why would Shazam do much worse than all other superhero movies that recieved the same score?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Something is wonky with this post, cant repair it

Avengers: Endgame is continuing to shatter pre-sales records.

The hugely-anticipated Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) tentpole sold nearly twice the number of tickets in its first week of sales on Atom Tickets than the next four record-holders – Aquaman, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War and Captain Marvel – combined, the company announced Tuesday.

Atom Tickets additionally noted that in its first hour of pre-sales (April 2), Endgame sold more than three times the number of tickets as Infinity War in that film’s first hour on the platform, and five times the number of tickets previous record-holder Aquamandid in its first 24 hours.

In an Atom Tickets user survey conducted earlier this year, the film was voted “most anticipated movie,” “most anticipated superhero movie” and “most anticipated ensemble cast.”

Avengers: Endgame Sets New Pre-Sales Record on Atom Tickets - Boxoffice

Avengers: Endgame is continuing to shatter pre-sales records. The hugely-anticipated Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) tentpole sold nearly twice ...

'Avengers: Endgame' has set a new pre-sales record on Atom Tickets.

Edited by terrestrial

4 minutes ago, LordNox said:

The point is that even you admit that the general word of mouth is good for Shazam. So the drops shouldn't be because of word of mouth reasons. But we will just have to see tomorrow and at the weekend if you are right.

There are no superhero movies that have recieved an A cinemascore and then had bad legs at the box office. If that would happen for Shazam it would be totally unexpected in the genre. So it doesn't make sense for your theory to have any merit, because why would Shazam do much worse than all other superhero movies that recieved the same score?

Civil war A Cinemascore  2.4x legs. Superhero genre is much broader than you think in box office. 

I think Shazam Multiplier will be around 2.8x

• Like 1