DeeCee

***SPOILERS***AVENGERS:ENDGAME***SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD***SPOILERS THREAD*** | Did William Hurt return as Secretary of State Thaddeus? Read the Thread

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Out of the link someone posted here to redit - see the interview, last question

(typed letter per letter as found there)

1. that is not an answer in my POV, that's a diversion try, including the 'question' did you forget... where did the question for a funeral imply the person asking for it was not aware about the short moment of 'looking sad' (over the top to point out a probable reason for asking) of a handful of people out of many more, that had worked and fought with her in the past?

2. Maybe it will be shown.... is no reason to not at lest give a nod, to not have added a picture, a mentioning...

Maybe the sky comes down off screen. Maybe whatever other craziness happens off screen or in the future, to me that is waving away something seemingly no only me take a critical POV about

I would have liked a plaque for both Tony and Nat saying something like we will never forget that both willing sacrificed themselves to save everyone else. Pan to the shield building showing it at the end or something.

• Like 1

RDJ is well known for ad libbing his lines, the most famous being "I am Iron Man" that sealed "Iron Man" (2008) as the iconic movie launching MCU that we got to enjoy past 11 years.

Now according various reports that surfaced past few days (one of the reports), he worked out a unique deal with Kevin Feige that gives him a certain percentage of the backend grossed by the movies. For A:IW he got the insane amount of USD 75M!

With Endgame BO likely to surpass 2.5B WW, and 3B is no more a dream (though still a tall order), I was wondering, "I love you 3000" might be RDJ cryptic way of saying "I love you 3000M"? 😛🤑

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Why didn't they have a group go find multiple stones so that they could reduce the number of trips (since for one person to go back in time multiple times and go back once requires less pym particles than for 2 people to go and come back.)

I think most people did not understand that question. (I did phrase is badly).

What I'm saying is this:

Suppose instead of what we got, Steve, Tony, Ant-Man and Hulk returned to 2014, they one spend one dose each. After getting the two stones, instead of returning to present time, they would go to 2012 to get the others. They spend one more those each, and after getting the other 3 stones, they would come back and spent one more dose each. In this scenario, they spend 12 doses total.

In the movie scenario, each team spent 4 to go and 4 to come back, which totals 16. So what I'm saying is similar to: you'll waste less money on plane tickets if you go from New York to Chicago, then LA then back to NY, than if you go to Chicago, then back to new York, then to La then back to new York again.

6 hours ago, andrewgr said:

All of these questions are valid, but I am confused as to why they bother you.  You're not suggesting that this movie was less logical or rational or realistic, or had few plotholes, than other CMBs, are you?   Because that would be... odd.

I think it is less internally consistent than most, and as well as it solves the problem created in IW, the fact that it shows Strange can call all of the wizards, and teleport through planets, creates some problems in the situation they painted of 14m futures, making it quite unbelievable. All of which is a shame, because there are several elements I love about the movie, but the general memory I have of it thinking about a bit is fairly negative :(

In answer to the very good time travel response given by @ZeeSoh, that actually bothers me more than usual time paradoxes, simply because the time travel machine then becomes a universe duplicating machine. Creating infinite resources. Wouldn't many of these timelines now have to do the same and steal other stones to save themselves after Thanos?

Also, something that I don't have an explanation for: doesn't it imply that no one can actually fix a timeline? For example, when Steve goes back to return the time stone to the ancient one, isn't that also a change that branches the timeline, and therefore there will be a branch left without the stone, so, a universe doomed anyway...

Also, given that the stones are so important, how have the wizards being dealing with stuff since Thanos took them and now that they are gone?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, justvision said:

RDJ is well known for ad libbing his lines, the most famous being "I am Iron Man" that sealed "Iron Man" (2008) as the iconic movie launching MCU that we got to enjoy past 11 years.

Now according various reports that surfaced past few days (one of the reports), he worked out a unique deal with Kevin Feige that gives him a certain percentage of the backend grossed by the movies. For A:IW he got the insane amount of USD 75M!

With Endgame BO likely to surpass 2.5B WW, and 3B is no more a dream (though still a tall order), I was wondering, "I love you 3000" might be RDJ cryptic way of saying "I love you 3000M"? 😛🤑

:lol:

RDJ has had a back end percentage $ deal since the first Avengers.  That's because he wasn't locked into a contact for multiple film contract like the others b/c they thought he was a risk and when it came time to renegotiate he was in the drivers seat.   Considering they paid him $400k for Iron Man and they launched a $20b (just counting theatrical) franchise off his back they're doing all right.   The other actors reportedly have bonuses attached to B.O. milestones though they had to re-up all the originals for this last film so ca-ching.

Remarkably, that % isn't that big when put in perspective of other movie star deals.  Sandra Bullock got about $75m on the back end of Gravity  which made about 60% of IM3 (for which reportedly RDJ got $50m) and less than half the Avengers and looking like  a 1/4th of AEG.   Jolie also had a huge back end on Maleficent.

Edited by TalismanRing

Posted (edited)

Have  we spoken about the music in Endgame, not the score but the song choice?  I thought it wonderful.  

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Traffic  Perfect for the opening

My favorite was the use of  Supersonic Rocket Ship by The Kinks - that entire sequence of assembling the team

Doom & Gloom - Rolling Stones

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

"Hey Lawdy Mama" by Steppenwolf   (Steve & Tony in 1970 ) - (Make Love Not War - Stan Lee )

"It's Been a Long, Long Time" by Harry James and His Orchestra  (fittingly a song created for soldiers finally returning home)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

"Hey Lawdy Mama" by Steppenwolf   (Steve & Tony in 1970 ) - (Make Love Not War - Stan Lee )

"It's Been a Long, Long Time" by Harry James and His Orchestra  (fittingly a song created for soldiers finally returning home)

I saw the name "Steppenwolf" and freaked out cause how did that terrible character manage to get into Endgame. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Have  we spoken about the music in Endgame, not the score but the song choice?  I thought it wonderful.  

My favorite was the use of  Supersonic Rocket Ship by The Kinks - that entire sequence of assembling the team

Where did the rolling stones song play in the movie?

I need to get my ass back to the theater for a second viewing.  

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Where did the rolling stones song play in the movie?

Around when Tony refers to Rocket as Ratchet - when they're preparing to go into the Quantum Realm

Which reminds me- a few of the new Tony nicknames

Ratchet (of Clank fame pairing)

Build A Bear

Lebowski

Any others?

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Around when Tony refers to Rocket as Ratchet - when they're preparing to go into the Quantum Realm

Which reminds me- a few of the new Tony nicknames

Ratchet (of Clank fame pairing)

Build A Bear

Lebowski

Any others?

I played the games, and was wondering in the theater if that was the reference, or if there was some other more famous ratchet he was referring to. Thanks for the confirmation!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BK007 said:

Dark parallel realities [........] when it comes to Blu-Ray or streaming with subtitles on. 

A lot of my criticism isn't about things that are physically infeasible, illogical or impossible. It's criticism about the choices that the filmmakers made when they wrote the story. When I talk about Stark being an egotistic dick, I'm not saying I dislike the character. I'm saying that the filmmakers don't give Steve the credit he deserves and therefore they implicitly praise Tony for his mistakes. When I say Captain Marvel gives a stupid excuse, my point is that such a powerful character SHOULD have known about Thanos and/or the Infinity Stones a long time ago. I would expect someome who can travel all around the galaxy within minutes to know a few more things about the galaxy.  A lot of the other things in the story are possible and could have many different logical explanations but they don't make the story great. This film deserved to be great. Instead, it went for cheap emotional scenes that did not fit with the overall style or tone that the franchise had set so far. And the time travel rules were full of logical gaps. I don't think anyone can rationally claim otherwise. All the things that I mention did happen, they're not hypotheticals (unless explicitly stated).

Edited by Quigley

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, that is one thing the MCU doesn’t get enough credit for. They pick perfect songs for these scenes, songs much of the audience may be hearing for the first time. All these young’uns get to hear these great songs from the 70s and keep the memory of them alive. (I was only born in 1987, I knew a couple of these songs before, but I credit GOTG1 in particular for getting me more into 70s music. Without it, I’m not sure I’d have caught Brandy on the radio and put it on my wishlist for GOTG2, leading to one of my favorite MCU moments ever when I went into the film blind and practically squeed when the song came up.)

They’ve done a good job from the start, but it really ramped up with James Gunn. My biggest worry when he was fired, and the biggest source of my relief when he was rehired, was what would happen to the music. I know that other people do the music selection, Dave Jordan, etc., and the makers of each film must be involved too, but I refuse to believe that Gunn isn’t some kind of muse of classic rock/pop/soul music choices in the MCU. (It blows my mind to think that just 7 years ago, we had The Avengers ending with Soundgarden(!) doing some inspirational nu-metal more suited for the end credits of a Bayformers entry. That now feels like a cosmic anomaly.)

Edited by TServo2049

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Have  we spoken about the music in Endgame, not the score but the song choice?  I thought it wonderful.   The msuic aside from the GOTG Redbone repeat with Quill dancing

I love it when the music supervisor of a movie digs up classics that I have long forgotten. The rush of nostalgia intertwined with these songs - priceless. Oh, to be young again. :)

Edited by incognitoo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, another one that I only caught on second viewing. You know that slow-dance 40s music at the end of the credits? Do you know what that is? I didn’t think about it the first time, but I saw “Make Way for Tomorrow Today” (the Disneyesque Stark Expo theme song from Iron Man 2) in the song credits and wondered “Where the heck did that appear?”

...then I listened to that music again the second time I saw it. Another sneaky send-off to Tony Stark along with the hammering.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

I haven't read everyone's theory of how to explain Old Steve's appearance at the end, which IMO contradicted everything we were told about time travel prior to that. But here's a possible explanation I came up with:

We don't know how much time has passed since Tony's death and Steve's trip back in time, but it seems to be at least a couple of days. Maybe the day before, Steve tells Bucky his plan to remain in the past with Peggy, and offers Bucky the shield. He declines, and insists that Sam get it, as The Falcon has a LOT less baggage in the hero department than Buck does. Anyway, Steve asks Bucky to fire up the time-travel thingy later that day (yeah, we have to believe that it's simple enough for Steve/Bucky to operate!), as Steve promises to come back at some point, but for whatever reason, not when Bruce tries to pull him back (hmmmm... I'm not sure why Steve wouldn't just come back then, other than for dramatic effect!). So Bucky brings back Old Steve from the alternate timeline into our reality, and that's why Buck doesn't seem the least bit surprised to see Old Steve after our Steve zaps back in time again. In this alternate universe, Old Steve saved Bucky from the Russians WAY before 2014, saved JFK, prevented 9/11, and his world was a much better place (that's my fantasy for Steve, anyway!). And then, Peggy passes on of old age, so Steve decides it's time to head back to our reality, and he presses the button on his hand-thingie, and returns to find Bucky alone at the controls. He then avoids Our Steve for a few hours until he zaps away, then makes his dramatic appearance for Sam.

Or something like that!

• ...wtf 1

So, Scarlett Johanson has been confirmed for Black Widow according to THR. Is she actually dead in this movie or will the Black Widow movie be a prequel.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So, Scarlett Johanson has been confirmed for Black Widow according to THR. Is she actually dead in this movie or will the Black Widow movie be a prequel.

I always thought it will be origin plus Budapest