Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

DeeCee

***SPOILERS***AVENGERS:ENDGAME***SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD***SPOILERS THREAD*** | Did William Hurt return as Secretary of State Thaddeus? Read the Thread

2 hours ago, Royce said:

“‘Endgame’ is amazing,” George R.R. Martin wrote. “Kudos to the writers and director. I cannot believe they got all those characters into one film and still managed to do them all justice. The final battle was epic, exciting, thrilling, full of twists and turns and strangely beautiful. But the character scenes earlier in the film really made it for me. The opening with Hawkeye, the Ant-Man scenes, Tony Stark’s moments communing with his helm…so many more.”

Martin continued, “There’s plenty of action here, but this is not just A Big Dumb Action movie, of which there are far too many these days. Stan Lee would have been proud. Could he ever have dreamed that all those characters he and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and the rest of the Marvel team created in the early 60s would one day come to dominate global culture? There’s an amazing story for you.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/george-rr-martin-avengers-endgame-review-big-dumb-action-movie-1202141947/?fbclid=IwAR2hxDsseSgD8jkHdVZbTrigkddAI1NctZQ1gw9dTq-3hYdOjnrH7LIYpd0

If only GOT's own Endgame was as good :hahaha:

I think he realized " so it is possible to wrap up an epic story with a good ending" 

So many people are so full of shit in their criticisms of this GOT season. 

• Not Cool 2

Think we learned how the Russo Brothers made such epic actions scenes in IW (they clearly watch anime XD) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Think we learned how the Russo Brothers made such epic actions scenes in IW (they clearly watch anime XD) 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

@TalismanRing I always had this feeling that the  now epic one on one fight between Thanos and Doctor Strange felt like an anime battle lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

So many people are so full of shit in their criticisms of this GOT season. 

This may be true, but there are a lot of people full of shit about everything. That’s humanity for ya. S8 is also full of shit (and some good moments).

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

So, basically throw in almost all the money shots and big spoilers. QED.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/26/avengers-endgame-iron-man/

Great restraint and awareness by RDJ - knowing that his silence would hit harder

I'd argue with the writer though that Pepper is saying everyone will be OK, not just her and her daughter  - who would have been fine if he'd left it all alone.  That's not who Tony was still tormented over.

Not only that, he was smart enough to realise that this was a much more realistic portrayal. Seeing how much damage the snaps could do to Thanos and Hulk (the two most endurable persons in MCU), it was a tremendous feat that the nanotech suit insulated Tony from an instant kill.  A minute or two of vital body functions draining away and barely a whimper of "Hey Pepp..." was credible and realistic.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 6

Damn.  I did not notice this.

• Astonished 3

11 hours ago, justvision said:

Not only that, he was smart enough to realise that this was a much more realistic portrayal. Seeing how much damage the snaps could do to Thanos and Hulk (the two most endurable persons in MCU), it was a tremendous feat that the nanotech suit insulated Tony from an instant kill.  A minute or two of vital body functions draining away and barely a whimper of "Hey Pepp..." was credible and realistic.

Not only do I think he deserves an Oscar for his "Endgame" performance and the totality of his MCU performances, but sometime in the future he should receive a Lifetime Achievement Award as well. Aren't the greatest actors and actresses ones who are touted for bringing believable humanity to characters they embody - if that's the case, what at all more could you ask for from where Tony Stark started and where he ended, thanks to RDJ!?

22 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Damn.  I did not notice this.

Holy cow, even in pristine true IMAX that fact was unnoticeable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Nothing else matters:

tumblr_pro5c2xYd01vsgkljo1_1280.jpg

sad doctor who GIF

Such a great shot!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A little bit late, but here's an interesting interview from Alana Silvestri, who composed the score and did several Marvel Cinematic Universe films. Most notably, for two-three years, he had full access to something probably only a handful of people were able to see up...

Rotten Tomatoes: The actors don’t get the full script for these movies. At what point are you brought in the process, especially for Infinity War and Endgame? Do you know all the story beats ahead of time?

Silvestri: Yeah, I actually do. I actually know everything, and I have everything as it’s being recorded. I have to be looking at the entire arc of the film all the time. Otherwise you really couldn’t have the kind of overview, a sensibility that the score has to really bring to the film.

No one ever thinks to try and trick composers into revealing details about movies.

EDIT: Also, today I finally recognized why the motify used when Thanos has the Gauntlet and attempts to snap feels so familiar; it's the same motif used when Tony is carrying the nuclear missile into space at the end of "The Avengers!"

EDIT: Another good tidbit...

Rotten Tomatoes: Infinity War‘s fallen reappearing on the battlefield is going to be a defining image for a generation of moviegoers. How did you approach “Portals” for this?

Silvestri: “Portals” was one of those scenes that the filmmakers identified early on as being a key moment, and potentially an historic moment in the entire Marvel universe. There were a number of different approaches that we took. And it took us a little while get a sense of what was really happening there. Again, you have that temptation with the reveal of all of these magnificent historic Marvel characters, there’s this temptation to kind of become too segmented, and for every entrance to be doing something special and something different. And the more we worked on it and tried that actually, we saw that it just really wasn’t working. It needed to be seen with much more of an overview and much more of a celebratory and promising sensibility, [rather than], “Here’s this one and here’s this one, and now this one.” The audience understands that.

But the overriding emotion is, “Look what’s happening. They’re all coming, we’re seeing them all, they’re all coming back. They’ve all come back to life.” So it wound up with much more of an overview. And then [we used a] new theme there because there was really nothing else that was gonna really take care of it. And it’s one of those pieces where it’s the same theme repeated a number of times, keys changing, getting bigger and more grand. And we knew that at the end of all this, we had to really set up the original Avengers theme after Cap delivers that amazing “Avengers assemble” line, which he almost whispers. Then we come in full bore with the original Avengers theme when the charge begins. So it took a while for us to find what would be the most satisfying approach. And I think we finally arrived at something that’s working pretty well.

Edited by I Am
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is such a terrible movie!

And I thought Part 1 (IW) was nothing special... LOL! It is 5 TIMES more spectacular, all the cool action is there. Definitely NOT what I was expecting. Also not a single new setting - everything was regurgitated from older movies. Talk about squeezing money from nothing. This may be the only time in history the second part is much worse and blander than the first.

Also, the wishy washy sentimentality @ Latin soap opera level - urgh, don't you feel ashamed bawling your eyes out at that?? All that is missing was War Machine reconnecting with his father in law.

However, the comedy was good - though only squeezed in the middle part. This has to be the biggest comedy movie in the BO ever, lol.

But anything apart form Hulk, Thor and Rabbit sucked. Period.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 4