baumer

Hellboy (2019)

Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I actually liked this, cheesy B-movie fun.

(Of course, a lot of your enjoyment will depend if youre ok with a Hellboy movie being B-movie action-horror material)

Pros:

-David Harbour had fun quips & looked great to me as Hellboy

-Movie moves at a brisk pace/no dull moments(its pretty much an adaptation of "The Wild Hunt")

-Creature design is great (Gruagach & Baba Yaga being examples)

-Lots of locales/environments for eye candy

-The rest of the cast does fine in their roles. 

-I honestly liked the emotional core of the story.

Cons:

-Rushed at times, pretty evident with a lot of quick cuts & awkward editing

-CGI awkward in moments, especially the giants scene IMO

-Some of the song choices felt forced/out of place.

Right now Im really thinking that some more studio cash to the VFX and some editing to let the movie breathe and appreciate the different locales, and we'd have a really good movie to spend the afternoon for. 

Overall: B

An overstuffed plot & some shoddy VFX aside, this is a solid B-movie action/horror romp. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Thanks 1

The origin story plays as a retelling and doesn’t spend much time with it like Punisher: Warzone, but Hellboy was funner, and is like a fantasy cartoon for adults.  Merlin magic sets up the story with two historical backstories, and it goes straight to the British Bureau; Excalibur.  Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.  What other ancient things are they hiding?  This is like Suicide squad forces against darkness, the biggest and baddest humanity has to offer, underground with magic, like Thor is in their captivity, there are talking animals, and the villain is a Voldemort-like blood queen. It is made to be a fun movie, a little too much comedy for me, but the sci-fi stuff in Hellboy and the world building almost impossible to dislike is enough for me to give it a  B+  88/100

Saw this back in the theater when it came out, just roaming down here.

Grade: B

A largely competent reboot in terms of casting and story adaption.

The cgi suffers in a few spots.

My largest complaint though is that Milla's character as the main antagonist comes across as way more 2-Dimensional and parody-esque than she should have. That brings the whole thing down. Not sure if it was the material on the page she had to work with or Direction, maybe both.

I like how the post-credit is setting up some familiar faces. We may yet get a sequel, who knows, after all early word is the Tomb Raider reboot film is getting one so I'll hold out hope for a bit longer.