sfran43

Wednesday numbers: Shazam $2.60M | Pet Sematary $1.36M | Dumbo $936K | US $912K | CM $896K

2 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Ugh.

If the only good and memorable superhero film released  in 2019 ends up with a total like that, I have no hope for humanity. 

IImage result for sad gif

Not sure it was ever visually compelling enough or large enough in scope to truly break out like something like Spider-Verse. Or, even Ant-Man. 

• Sad 1

It is no surprise that in the deadest week of April, with no one off K-college, these were not gonna be great opening weekdays for Shazam.

So, wake me up to panic on Avengers opening Thursday...if Shazam is still performing with "poor" legs and weekday numbers by then, stick a fork in it, it's gonna be a normal non-summer/Xmas supers multiplier...but honestly, for this movie, no one will really know anything until this Saturday and the following weekdays next week and the ones the following week...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Ugh.

If the only good and memorable superhero film released  in 2019 ends up with a total like that, I have no hope for humanity. 

IImage result for sad gif

Kind of ironic that the audiences rewarded WB for making Suicide Squad by giving the movie a whopping 750M gross, while they reward WB for making Shazam by giving the movie half of what Suicide Squad made.

It shows that RT score don't really matter and that audiences and critics have different taste.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is no surprise that in the deadest week of April, with no one off K-college, these were not gonna be great opening weekdays for Shazam.

So, wake me up to panic on Avengers opening Thursday...if Shazam is still performing with "poor" legs and weekday numbers by then, stick a fork in it, it's gonna be a normal non-summer/Xmas supers multiplier...but honestly, for this movie, no one will really know anything until this Saturday and the following weekdays next week and the ones the following week...

Maybe we'll see. It's definitely not gonna do better when it's screen count plummets with Avengers come. Hope it takes advantage of 2 really soft weeks competition wise.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Maybe we'll see. It's definitely not gonna do better when it's screen count plummets with Avengers come. Hope it takes advantage of 2 really soft weeks competition wise.

The expectation has to be lowered. Shazam will clearly make tens of million less than Ant-Man in the US. Will probably be enough to make a profit but if they want the sequel to be a hit they will have to change much and add more action into it.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not sure what changes between now and April 25 other than Endgame stealing everyone's screens? Don't see how that's helpful.

4 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Kind of ironic that the audiences rewarded WB for making Suicide Squad by giving the movie a whopping 750M gross, while they reward WB for making Shazam by giving the movie half of what Suicide Squad made.

It shows that RT score don't really matter and that audiences and critics have different taste.

This is ridiculous. Suicide had far more brand going for it. Joker, Harley, Will Smith and even slapped Batman in teasers. This is not a fair comparison. Shazam is almost definitely better liked by most people that have seen both. 

Shazam had no where near the brand recognition. Shazam will have a far superior multiplier as well.

• Like 1

Just now, LordNox said:

The expectation has to be lowered. Shazam will clearly make tens of million less than Ant-Man in the US. Will probably be enough to make a profit but if they want the sequel to be a hit they will have to change much and add more action into it.

Perhaps spend more on marketing as well. I hope they do both.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Not sure what changes between now and April 25 other than Endgame stealing everyone's screens? Don't see how that's helpful.

Umm, Easter and the 2 large holiday weeks K-12 schools have surrounding it...spring breaks start next week for large portions of the NE and Midatlantic...and continue the following week (with almost all Catholic schools being off that week)...

If Shazam can't perform with the schools off, yeah, it's a goner...but we'll know starting this Saturday and really next Monday, not today...

Edited by TwoMisfits

If it follows HTTYD3 Days 7-10 :ph34r:   

+0% 2.6

+215% 8.2

+120% 18  

-32.5% 12.2    

38.4M wknd ;)       

The point being, different movies have really different 1st Wed:2nd wknd multis. Just have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

+0% 2.6

+215% 8.2

+120% 18  

-32.5% 12.2    

38.4M wknd ;)       

The point being, different movies have really different 1st Wed:2nd wknd multis. Just have to wait and see.

Wait it can perform like that. I never thought about this. 

If it's a family movie then offcourse. 

This is a good counterpoint. 👌👌👌

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This is ridiculous. Suicide had far more brand going for it. Joker, Harley, Will Smith and even slapped Batman in teasers. This is not a fair comparison. Shazam is almost definitely better liked by most people that have seen both. 

Shazam had no where near the brand recognition. Shazam will have a far superior multiplier as well.

Totally.

Same with BvS and CM: BvS had the brand name of Supes and Batman, plus WW's first-ever big-screen appearance and CM had the whole bridge-between-IW-and-EG thing, and the perfect storm at a time when no film brand is hotter than the MCU.

Shazam! may be infinitely better than those two movies, but it was never going to be able to compete... :whosad:

Oh, well...I hope that the sequel retains the charming elements of the first, but ramps up the action and visual splendor (and brings in Black Adam!!!!)

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

With Around $180 Million In Worldwide In A Week (On A $90 Million Budget), Has Nothing To Fear From via by

Box Office: If SHAZAM! Is Leggy Enough To Actually Get Hurt By AVENGERS: ENDGAME, Well, Then That Will Be Good News For SHAZAM! via by

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Totally.

Same with BvS and CM: BvS had the brand name of Supes and Batman, plus WW's first-ever big-screen appearance and CM had the whole bridge-between-IW-and-EG thing, and the perfect storm at a time when no film brand is hotter than the MCU.

Shazam! may be infinitely better than those two movies, but it was never going to be able to compete... :whosad:

Oh, well...I hope that the sequel retains the charming elements of the first, but ramps up the action and visual splendor (and brings in Black Adam!!!!)

I think the most disappointing factor is that Marvel time and time again take unknown characters and make them into hits. With Shazam it is proven that even if DC makes a good movie about an unknown character they can't do the same. So we might see DC cling more into the likes of Batman, Wonder Woman etc instead of taking chances like Shazam again.

6 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Totally.

For me Shazam was not better than Captain Marvel. Don't make your opinion a fact. 

And please don't start franchise war in this thread. I am continously seeing you doing that 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Knock It Off 2

t should be at just over/under $70 million by the end of today as it enters a crucial second weekend. That’ll give it a weekend-to-week multiplier of 1.229x its $56.83 million “opening weekend.” Yes, I’m including the sneak previews since I would argue that almost anyone who attended the two-weeks-early sneak preview would have otherwise shown up on opening weekend.

Anyway, that multiplier is pretty close to the 1.23x multiplier of Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s first week ($117 million from a $95 million debut five years ago). The two comparisons that will (hopefully) be relevant going forward are the aforementioned Captain America sequel (which earned $259 million domestic from a $95 million launch just before the start of the summer season in 2014) and Rampage ($101 million from a $35 million launch last April). The Dwayne Johnson video game adaptation fell just 43% in its second weekend but took a hit from Avengers: Infinity War in weekend three. But the Brad Peyton-directed flick still earned $428 million worldwide on a $120 million budget.

There has been much talk about how DC Films’ Shazam! is going to be crushed by Avengers: Endgame when the latter opens two weeks from today. And, relatively speaking, that’s probably true. Sure, Shazam! may stick around due to its kid-friendly content and its “mere” 132-minute running time (as opposed to the 182-minute Avengers finale), but I’d wager that Captain Marvel is more likely to get a “rising waters lift all boats” boost from the MCU sequel than the DC Films fantasy. That being said, Rampage earned $30 million of its eventual $101 million cume AFTER Avengers: Infinity War debuted. And it had one less week to do its thing versus....

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

+0% 2.6

+215% 8.2

+120% 18  

-32.5% 12.2    

38.4M wknd ;)       

I would be THRILLED to see that happen. Seems almost impossible. Damn those jumps are crazy! Great comparison considering it opened similar, has same amount in box office as of Thursday.

However, pg vs pg13.