terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

3 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

In the Wednesday thread, I was told to expect higher Friday jumps than normal, because schools were in this week. Maybe Shazam! benefits from that and maybe it doesn’t. I hope Shazam can reach a decent multiplier off its opening week (2.7 -3.0). This DC can’t catch a break narrative is hyperbole beyond belief. Shazam! will make a profit- Also, I could have sworn that Aquaman made over 1B at the box office earlier this year. Did I dream that? 😂 

It's just classic hyperbole, and yes, Shazam ! is not making as much as we hoped, it's still doing well. I feel it definitely would have made more if released at a later or earlier time though. I don't see how the film drops between 55 and 60% this WE, that just wouldn't make sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

Starting a bit concerned with this movie especially for something with A cinemascore. DC can't catch a break.

I dont think you are concerned the way you are making this comment. I am a Marvel fan and I really want Shazam to make big. It is a good movie. By the way, regardless about the weekend numbers. Shazam is already concidered a succesful movie. No need to start a negative wave of comments.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

People are dismissing Shazam under performance by saying its budget is low. 

Yeah, I know it is not a flop but.. 

Deadpool, Logan and Venom also had low budget. 

People said it is playing like Family film, So far I haven't seen any evidence of it. 

I AM NOT SAYING SHAZAM IS FLOP, I AM SAYING SHAZAM IS UNDERPERFORMING. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I think the "issue" with what Shazam's making is that while it's perfectly fine given its budget, if you've seen it, it seems pretty much impossible for the sequel not to get a big boost in budget if they actually want to deliver on the promise of the first film.

And I'm not sure $400 million WW is going to justify that expense.  They will kind of have to take a leap of faith that good WOM and people catching it on home video are going to cause a big increase in interest for the sequel.  (So, the Batman Begins plan, basically.)

Sfran has started a weekendthread, but here for the start time again a tweet

Hellboy grossed an estimated $1.38M from Thursday night shows that began at 7PM.

Little grossed an estimated $735K from Thursday night shows that began at 7PM.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

FOR ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING SHAZAM IS DOING GOOD. 

MY QUESTION :

IN SEQUEL THEY WANT TO EXPLORE SEVEN WONDERLANDS.. IF MOVIE EARNS LESS THAN 400M, HOW WILL THEY JUSTIFY THIS HEAVY BUDGET. 

Ant man 2 saw rise in budget because Ant man made a healthy profit for Marvel. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think the "issue" with what Shazam's making is that while it's perfectly fine given its budget, if you've seen it, it seems pretty much impossible for the sequel not to get a big boost in budget if they actually want to deliver on the promise of the first film.

And I'm not sure $400 million WW is going to justify that expense.  They will kind of have to take a leap of faith that good WOM and people catching it on home video are going to cause a big increase in interest for the sequel.  (So, the Batman Begins plan, basically.)

I think with New Line making the film rather than Warner Bros, they have a lower threshold when it comes to success and sequels. The one thing that could boost Shazam 2 would be having the Black Adam film before it as a tease for a potential third film

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew said:

MY QUESTION :

IN SEQUEL THEY WANT TO EXPLORE SEVEN WONDERLANDS.. IF MOVIE EARNS LESS THAN 400M, HOW WILL THEY JUSTIFY THIS HEAVY BUDGET. 

They didn't say that, it's hinted at in Shazam ! Do you need to be reminded that theatrical is not the only revenue studios make on a film? Black Adam being released before Shazam 2 as @Jonwo said would be a smart move. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins

5 minutes ago, Matthew said:

MY QUESTION :

Why do you scream so much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

MY QUESTION :

Thor made about 450M on a budget at least 50% more than Shazam! and it got a sequel. Shazam! doesn’t need 400 million to earn a sequel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Sfran has started a weekendthread, but here for the start time again a tweet

Hellboy grossed an estimated $1.38M from Thursday night shows that began at 7PM.

Little grossed an estimated $735K from Thursday night shows that began at 7PM.

Shocked it made 1.38 but granted for 7pm showings that sucks. Maybe it does 14 this weekend. Deserves 10.

• Like 1

Shazam was the first time DC tried doing what Marvel does all the time; Introducing new superheroes and make them instant hits. What Shazam is showing is that at the moment the DCEU is not popular enough for DC to be able to do the same.

The best strategy is probably for DC to milk Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman a few years and then when the franchise is more popular introduce the more unknown characters into the universe.