sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday estimates - Shazam $6.37M | Little $5.37M | Hellboy $4.93M | Pet Sematary $2.93M | After $2.90M | Dumbo $2.27M

Just now, Spaghetti said:

Pretty sure weekend all around. Despite overall shitty openers the holdovers had a rough time.

Little actually did fine considering the budget was low but yeah, I thought it could've pulled in a few more million since the previews were actually funny.

• Like 1

Also why is Hellboy a thing? Without del Toro, there’s no real care or passion for the franchise, and even then a del Toro Hellboy likely wouldn’t have done past $100M DOM anyways. 

Sad to see Missing Link bomb but with Annapurna and stop motion, it was doomed to die. I hope Laika is not dissuaded for making more films, they’re one of the best in mainstream animation.

I know people talk about the lack of marketing, but at least when I've gone to the theater, I've gotten trailers for Missing Link a few times. I generally enjoy Laika's work, but the trailers made the movie look so lame. I'm sure the actual movie is good and all, but if judging by the trailer, it doesn't surprise me people didn't turn up for this one.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I know people talk about the lack of marketing, but at least when I've gone to the theater, I've gotten trailers for Missing Link a few times. I generally enjoy Laika's work, but the trailers made the movie look so lame. I'm sure the actual movie is good and all, but if judging by the trailer, it doesn't surprise me people didn't turn up for this one.

I’m out of likes but this. Hell, they were ads all over TBS last week.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's a billboard for it along I-95 right now. :cloud9:

They probably continue to make them because the exposure is important (plus they likely sell well on the home market). See everyone, Disney isn't completely evil after all!

Plus now that they own National Geographic, I'm sure they have even more resources

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I don't get this talk of Shazam's 2nd weekend being disappointing, it's almost the same drop as Ant-Man's 2nd w/e of -56.5%. if Shazam follows Ant-Man for the rest of its run it'll make 158M~ total, but because of competition from EG it might be closer to 148M-150M~ which is a still a solid result all things considered. 

I am one of those who find it a little disappointing as Shazam, to me, is a film which earns better review and good message (but the titular character is arguably lesser known and carries weaker brand). Ant-Man opened in summer, so it has much stronger weekdays. Last Sunday Shazam was 500k (incl preview) less than Ant-Man. After full first week it is now 11M less.

For now it should end its run around 140M, given strong competition from EG. This is 10M below Divergent (opens in spring of the same opening wknd range) but on par with Caspian Prince. I wish for full explosion on Saturday to make up weaker weekdays as it looks to cater well among family audiences.