sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday estimates - Shazam $6.37M | Little $5.37M | Hellboy $4.93M | Pet Sematary $2.93M | After $2.90M | Dumbo $2.27M

25 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I was told $22 mil was best case scenario for Shazam.

I hear you, ChipMunky, but we must remember that these are Deadline’s estimates. They could be way off. However, so the news is solid. A 53% drop would be really solid. 25 million would definitely be wonderful and welcome news.

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

long-range tracking up

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-x-men-dark-phoenix-the-secret-life-of-pets-2/

Dark Phoenix: 40-55 range. 47/113

SLOP 2: 70-90 range. 80/263

Sounds about right. Pets 2 was always gonna see a bit of a dip from the first one given that it lacks the fresh hook of that movie.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

a 2.42x isn't that low. It's not as leggy as Infinity War, but I don't think we should expect that to happen.

I also think that (272-257)/257*100 = 5.8% increase from AIW is pretty low for it. Considering all the reports of presales. 

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I also think that (272-257)/257*100 = 5.8% increase from AIW is pretty low for it. Considering all the reports of presales. 

To be fair, we don’t know how frontloaded it will be even with the great presales.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

To be fair, we don’t know how frontloaded it will be even with the great presales.

Well I would expect it to be pretty frontloaded no matter what, but for a small increase like that from AIW and still have such a lowly multiplier is not a good look for the movie. 

2nd Update, 12:32PM: As expected, New Line/DC’s Shazamremains firm at No. 1 in its second go-round with an estimated $25M, -53% off a second Friday of $7M. By Sunday he won’t quite be at $100M yet with $94.7M based on these midday estimates.

Millennium’s $50M remake of Hellboy starring David Harbour in the title role is looking like $5.5M today for a 3-day of $13M-$14M.  There’s only 4% K-12 schools out and 1% colleges today per ComScore, but that number grows respectively on Monday to 20% and 5% and explodes on Good Friday to 74% and 29%. Everyone is trying to get as much business in heading into Easter, and especially before Avengers: Endgame takes away all the business.

Universal’s Little if it has a great Saturday from matinees could upset Hellboy. Right now the body swap comedy is seeing $5m today for a $14M third place.

Paramount’s Pet Sematary will take fourth in weekend 2 with $9.4M, -62% for a running total of $40.5M by Sunday.

Disney’s Dumbo owns 5th place in weekend 3 with an estimated $2M today and a 3-day of $8M for a running total of $88.8M by Sunday.

Other openers: UA/Laika’s Missing Link is looking at an estimated $2M today and $7M for the weekend while Aviron/Voltage’s After is seeing an estimated $2.5M and $6.5M weekend.

As we always say, these estimates can change greatly by tonight and into tomorrow.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/hellboy-shazam-weekend-box-office-1202594516/

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

How’s Pet Sematary looking for weekend 2?

Paramount’s Pet Sematary will take fourth in weekend 2 with $9.4M, -62% for a running total of $40.5M by Sunday.

Even more similar to Evil Dead 2013s run now.

Dumbo crashlanded on earth. These are horrible numbers for a family film. I havent seen it but that seems to be bad WOM at work. Is the film too dark or weird for the GA?

Edited by Brainbug