sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday estimates - Shazam $6.37M | Little $5.37M | Hellboy $4.93M | Pet Sematary $2.93M | After $2.90M | Dumbo $2.27M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After is low-key the winner of the weekend. The power of Harry Styles fanfiction, I guess.

Horrendous numbers for Missing Link but I'm not surprised, movie looked awful (hence no ads)

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm surprised GDT didn't sign on to any big projects post-Shape of Water. You'd think Marvel/DC/LucasFilm would give him big offers

he has a deal with fox searchlight that he can basically do whatever the hell he wants within a certain budget level. even if he's not working on a huge scale i'm sure that's more appealing to him than doing big franchise stuff, especially with the issues he's had with that in the past.

but hey, some people here are still convinced he's gonna drop in and save the fantastic beasts franchise lmao.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

LMD only watches Marvel movies in theaters.

Well I watched a bollywood movie a few weeks ago in theaters lol 

I am not saying I found US worse than Get out, it has scored lower on all audience scores and just from friends and family.

Its more a horror movie then some big social-political statement like Get Out was.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

he has a deal with fox searchlight that he can basically do whatever the hell he wants within a certain budget level. even if he's not working on a huge scale i'm sure that's more appealing to him than doing big franchise stuff, especially with the issues he's had with that in the past.

but hey, some people here are still convinced he's gonna drop in and save the fantastic beasts franchise lmao.

The Three Amigos in general seem to march to the beat of their own drums. I think Inarritu still doesn't have anything lined up and The Revenant was almost 3.5 years ago (then again he's probably enjoying time off after winning back-to-back Oscars and that movie being such a challenging shoot).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TMP said:

This "bad WOM" talk for US seems overblown. Opening was inflated because of Peele's stamp acting like a brand of its own

Three weeks with north of 50% drops for an original horror film at least says the wom is mixed at best.

WHy would guillermo del toro want to do a Star Wars / Marvel  whatever film?  (genuine question)

I do like the delusions of some users on here who assume that because they love X franchise that must mean all filmmakers want to work for that franchise.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

WHy would guillermo del toro want to do a Star Wars / Marvel  whatever film?  (genuine question)

I do like the delusions of some users on here who assume that because they love X franchise that must mean all filmmakers want to work for that franchise.

Because blockbuster franchises are the only movies that matter. I'm sure Lordmandeep would agree with that sentiment.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Three weeks with north of 50% drops for an original horror film at least says the wom is mixed at best.

Normally, but (and this is just conjecture)...

It could also mean the movie never expanded beyond its "1st movie" core audience,  The Peele brand played to its found audience, but just faster this time...and didn't lead that core audience to rewatch, either.   

It's something I think we'll see with Endgame...unless it is highly rewatchable for the fans, the enormous rush factor is gonna lead to a subpar leg kick no matter how great it is, b/c I don't know that it has anywhere to expand beyond its Infinity War watchers (except those who may have hopped on digitally)...

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

well.... for 1 he directed not 1, not 2 but 3 comic book movies so far (Blade 2 and Hellboy 1 & 2) and 2 he stated last year he would be willing to direct an MCU movie if it was a big monster hero so who's really delusional here?

• Thanks 1

I don't get this talk of Shazam's 2nd weekend being disappointing, it's almost the same drop as Ant-Man's 2nd w/e of -56.5%. if Shazam follows Ant-Man for the rest of its run it'll make 158M~ total, but because of competition from EG it might be closer to 148M-150M~ which is a still a solid result all things considered. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Because he's done 2 comic book movies already as well as a robots vs. monsters dumb action movie? And his career in general has been a lot more genre filled than a typical Oscar winning filmmaker. I mean honestly, doing SW, Marvel or whatever can't be any more mindless than Pacific Rim lol

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next weekend will also be a quiet frame as theaters brace for the Endgame impact unless The Curse of La Llorona breaks out (which I doubt).

Penguins coming for that crown.   In all honesty I'm actually kind of happy that Disney still manages release a nature doc every year amongst all their big budget  releases

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

Penguins coming for that crown.   In all honesty I'm actually kind of happy that Disney still manages release a nature doc every year amongst all their big budget  releases

There's a billboard for it along I-95 right now. :cloud9:

They probably continue to make them because the exposure is important (plus they likely sell well on the home market). See everyone, Disney isn't completely evil after all!

Edited by filmlover

15 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I don't get this talk of Shazam's 2nd weekend being disappointing, it's almost the same drop as Ant-Man's 2nd w/e of -56.5%. if Shazam follows Ant-Man for the rest of its run it'll make 158M~ total, but because of competition from EG it might be closer to 148M-150M~ which is a still a solid result all things considered. 

Shazam’s weekdays numbers are not as good...

• Like 2