baumer

New Weekend Thread..Shazam 6.3 Little 5.3 Hell 4.9...NO FLAME WARS PLEASE!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I suppose there was an audience that was gonna see it opening weekend no matter how crummy the reviews were. It's gonna fall off ugly in the weeks ahead though.

A Hellboy reboot with awful reviews still opening to double digits (in millions) should be enough proof that superhero fatigue doesn't exist. This kind of film would be opening to $5m without the IP branding imo

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

yes, ww it jumped 2 positions. Should jump within the next 2-3 das the next two on the chart, PotC DMCh and Toy Story 3

jumped also in dom 3 positions, now over Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, should jump at the end of the week over GotG 2

DH 2 is damn good company. What an incredible run.

• Like 1

Top 12 came in at $105m. If we figure a 45% total drop next weekend for those, then add in about $35m for the new movies next weekend (Breakthrough, Penguins, La Llorona); we're looking at a pre-EG weekend top 12 of roughly $93m. By comparison, the top 12 for the prior week for the other $200m OW are....

IW - $111.7m

TFA - $69.5m

TLJ - $76.1m

JW - $126.2m

TA1 - $97.1m

BP - $119.4m

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Current international totals for Captain Marvel include:

China - $153.6M U.K. - $47.7M South Korea - $44.6M Brazil - $37.3M Mexico - $33.0M Australia - $27.0M France - $25.3M Germany - $22.5M Russia - $20.0M Indonesia - $19.4M Japan - $16.8M

Gonna move past 50 million in UK, over 3.0 legs when it's done.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A tree? What the hell did they try to get Groot to appear in this movie or something?

• One insider described a prolonged dispute over a surreal tree that figures prominently in the film. Marshall wanted a realistic-looking, asymmetrical tree. But the insider said Levin overruled him, insisting on a symmetrical tree. Then, in postproduction, the tree became asymmetrical again. Singer disputed any suggestion that Levin “somehow mucked it up in a back-and-forth tug-of-war over symmetry versus asymmetry,” adding: “The design of the tree, like hundreds of other design elements in the movie, went through an exhaustive design and evolution process.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

A Hellboy reboot with awful reviews still opening to double digits (in millions) should be enough proof that superhero fatigue doesn't exist. This kind of film would be opening to $5m without the IP branding imo

I mean it still did less in 3.5 days than the last Hellboy movie did in one over a decade ago, so...

Edited by cookie

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Hellboy going double digits (in millions) is the biggest surprise of the weekend for me. Was sure it was going sub-$10m; I guess it was really walk-up friendly?

The movie feels like it's written by a 12 year old who made it to impress his other 12 year old friends with how ***EDGY*** he is, so I suppose that's the audience.  Source: there were three 12 year old's in my audience yesterday (with their dad of course, couldn't even sneak in smh) in a theater that was barely even 5% full.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Well when China drops around 80% and made 30% of that international opening you're gonna drop.  It will stabilize in % next week.

Hope so. International markets are not like North America, screens get lost fast by local films.

But to be fair, i know Shazam had a lot of sneak previews in many markets before its opening weekend last week, and all the numbers were added to its weekend total last week which inflated the opening international weekend.

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Hellboy going double digits (in millions) is the biggest surprise of the weekend for me. Was sure it was going sub-$10m; I guess it was really walk-up friendly?

Hellboy opening in the double digits both astonishes and depresses me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That's my guess as well. Not gonna buy 8.6 till I see it. Hope it true, still think 8.2 is likely which is still awesome.

This would be a dreadful -45% Sun, not happening.