baumer

New Weekend Thread..Shazam 6.3 Little 5.3 Hell 4.9...NO FLAME WARS PLEASE!

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No it hasn't. Superhero films are one thing that have not experienced much growth over the last few years in China. They usually gross around $100 million range, that was the case in 2015 and still the case today. that is the ones which don't break out.

china-pct-of-ww-bo-thru-2020.jpg

I didn’t see any high 200m or 300m+ superhero movies in China in 2015. Venom and aquabro out did Ultron. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

For the person who asked what we should see for Monday drops...here's last year's pre-Easter chart...

Mondays should be in the 60-70% drop range, Tuesdays should play pretty normally for jumps, Wednesdays should have slightly smaller drops from Tuesday, and Thursdays should see a small bump up from Wednesday...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-03-26&p=.htm

And week-over-week drops should be smaller than normal...you can pick your favorite super and family movie from the chart and see how it did...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

that is a very different comparison than specifically American import superhero films. just go on BOM and look at China grosses for standalone superhero films over past few years and you will see similar numbers :)  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Ever heard about exploding local movies and such?

Or 3rd + 4th tier cities getting cinemas, but those mostly prefer only local movies?
Fast & Furious as leading foreign franchise....

How about to go to the Chinese area and ask some questiions?

• Like 1

I agree with @Avatree here guys. When comparing how films do at the box office, profit and all that stuff doesn't mean anything. That's the studio's business. Ant-Man is going to do better than Shazam! based on the one metric that matters in this context: admissions. Talking about budget vs profit is a totally valid yet separate discussion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Ever heard about exploding local movies and such?

Or 3rd + 4th tier cities getting cinemas, but those mostly prefer only local movies?
Fast & Furious as leading foreign franchise....

How about to go to the Chinese area and ask some questiions?

Highest grossing superhero movie in 2015 was Ultron. This year endgame will do 400m. Venom and Aquaman neared 300m. Captain marvel broke the typical Mcu solo ranks and did 150. Am I going crazy?

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I agree with @Avatree here guys. When comparing how films do at the box office, profit and all that stuff doesn't mean anything. That's the studio's business. Ant-Man is going to do better than Shazam! based on the one metric that matters in this context: admissions. Talking about budget vs profit is a totally valid yet separate discussion.

yeah exactly, no one knows how much these films cost, all that matters is box office $, this is a box office forum not the NYSE.

If we judge films success by how much profit the studio makes then of course Ant Man is a bigger success than the lord of the rings trilogy ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Highest grossing superhero movie in 2015 was Ultron. This year endgame will do 400m. Venom and Aquaman neared 300m. Captain marvel broke the typical Mcu solo ranks and did 150. Am I going crazy?

Yes there have been a short string of big breakouts but for non breakouts they all tend to do between 90 and 130 million. 

for e.g. Wonder Woman, Black panther, Ant man 2, justice league, guardians vol2, spiderman homecoming, thor ragnarok, and Logan, all in the space of 18 months, all grossed around the same as Ant-Man (2015). 

@MCKillswitch123 number 1 place pretty much official here in Portugal. Europe is going bonkers for this.

Voltage’s Jenny Gage-directed adaptation of Anna Todd’s bestselling YA novels, which started out on the fan-fiction website Wattpad, discovered an estimated $12.28M in 28 markets this weekend. The $14M teen romance drama caused swooning in Italy(via Leone) and Germany(via Constantin) where it was the No. 1 title. It’s notable that After has been compared to the Fifty Shades series whose three pics counted both Italy and Germany as lead markets. After is expected to continue to play there with steady and rising figures throughout the weekend. There were further No. 1s in Portugal, Greece, Israel and Poland. Conversely, there was some front-loading in Denmark and Spain (the latter with terrific weather this weekend). But coming on line next weekend are France and Belgium where previews have erupted.

• Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

16 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Yes there have been a short string of big breakouts but for non breakouts they all tend to do between 90 and 130 million. 

for e.g. Wonder Woman, Black panther, Ant man 2, justice league, guardians vol2, spiderman homecoming, thor ragnarok, and Logan, all in the space of 18 months, all grossed around the same as Ant-Man (2015). 

Several breakouts means the genre has grown...why would it not mean that? Wtf

26 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Can we go back to talking about how awesome The Emperor's New Groove is?

Funny enough I grew up with The Emperor's New School (the tv show) way before I saw the actual film. Same with Lilo and Stitch.

I remember The Emperor’s New School. Let’s talk about childhood shows while we’re at it. Zoey 101 was pretty dope.

2 hours ago, mulderfox said:

It is Ant-Man numbers. So that is great for it. The only where its not Ant-Man numbers is in China. Ant-Man also was in theaters in the summer months so that was another plus for it where schools are closed and people are on vacation.

It is right now but I don't know if it will have the late legs to get to $180M that Ant-Man did and I assume $500M WW is dead?  $400M is dead too? 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It is right now but I don't know if it will have the late legs to get to $180M that Ant-Man did and I assume $500M WW is dead?  $400M is dead too? 

$500m is dead, buried and decomposed. Honestly that was never even on the table after OW. $400m is a very long shot.

$180m domestic is not happening.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

$500m is dead, buried and decomposed. Honestly that was never even on the table after OW. $400m is a very long shot.

Well like I said this is are rare miss for WB marketing. I said it weeks before release that WB isn't doing enough.  I could see if people were coming back from the theaters and saying "wow,  the critics got it wrong here..."  but not even that is happening. Everyone who has seen it thinks it is at worst "fine". Most reactions are way more positive than that.  

The hold was not a catastrophe,  it is the fact that it started out so low which is the issue. And the release date is going to murder it.  So it's a clear situation where this needed to get up into that $75M OW range and it should have had WB done more to promote it accurately. 

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

China is were Ant-Man made its difference compared to Shazam. Budget on Shazam is also less too. I think when its done it will have made same profit as Ant-Man did.