BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Fourth Will Be With You, Always (Submissions Closed)

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If we limited it to one score per franchise we might get a more varied list. 

Or maybe even just once vote per composer  - which would also mean making a list of 100 a lot harder. 😛

I don't believe in those kinds of artificial limitations.

If people on their own want to self-select, power to them.

• Like 1

So, the real question is: Do you rank John Williams' in his rightful spot, aka, total domination of the Top 10; or do you downgrade him in hopes of getting others on the list, cause you know Williams' will auto win?  Hmm.

(And should auto-win.  It's not even a question Star Wars is the greatest film score of all time. No. Question.)

6 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

So, the real question is: Do you rank John Williams' in his rightful spot, aka, total domination of the Top 10; or do you downgrade him in hopes of getting others on the list, cause you know Williams' will auto win?  Hmm.

(And should auto-win.  It's not even a question Star Wars is the greatest film score of all time. No. Question.)

:stop:Early in organizing my list but he shows up twice in the top 10 and 20. Neither are SW 😛

Laurence Of Arabia
 The Adventures Of Robin Hood (1938)
 Dr Zhivago
 Alexander Nevsky
 Chariots Of Fire
 Spartacus
 Gone With The Wind
 Ben Hur (1958)
 The Empire Strikes Back
 Jaws
 The Natural
 The Godfather Part II
 The Third Man
 Sunshine
 Laura
 Wuthering Heights
 The Best Years Of Our Lives
 The Bridge On The River Kwai
 The Ghost and Mrs Muir
 On The Waterfront
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

John Williams appears on my list nine times, three in the top 20 alone so far. Obviously I think he's the best film composer who ever lived, but I don't want my list to just be 50% Williams or something, that would be way too predictable and boring. I'd much rather spotlight other underrated fantastic composers and scores. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Bernard Herrman is the one who should be the favorite.

Citizen Kane to Hitchcock go to man to Taxi Driver is a hell of a filmography

Though I submit

Maximilian Raoul "Max" Steiner (May 10, 1888 – December 28, 1971) was an Austrian-born American composer of music for theatre and films. He was a child prodigy who conducted his first operetta when he was twelve and became a full-time professional, either composing, arranging or conducting, when he was fifteen.

Steiner composed over 300 film scores with RKO and Warner Brothers, and was nominated for 24 Academy Awards, winning three: The Informer (1935), Now, Voyager (1942), and Since You Went Away (1944). Besides his Oscar-winning scores, some of Steiner's popular works include King Kong (1933), Little Women (1933), Jezebel (1938), Casablanca (1942), The Searchers (1956), A Summer Place (1959), and the film score for which he is possibly best known, Gone with the Wind (1939).

He was also the first recipient of the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score, which he won for his score to Life with Father. Steiner was a frequent collaborator with some of the most famous film directors in history, including Michael Curtiz, John Ford, Howard Hawks, William Dieterle, William Wyler, Raoul Walsh, John Huston, Irving Pichel, King Vidor, and Frank Capra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Steiner_filmography

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Citizen Kane to Hitchcock go to man to Taxi Driver is a hell of a filmography

Though I submit

Maximilian Raoul "Max" Steiner (May 10, 1888 – December 28, 1971) was an Austrian-born American composer of music for theatre and films. He was a child prodigy who conducted his first operetta when he was twelve and became a full-time professional, either composing, arranging or conducting, when he was fifteen.

Steiner composed over 300 film scores with RKO and Warner Brothers, and was nominated for 24 Academy Awards, winning three: The Informer (1935), Now, Voyager (1942), and Since You Went Away (1944). Besides his Oscar-winning scores, some of Steiner's popular works include King Kong (1933), Little Women (1933), Jezebel (1938), Casablanca (1942), The Searchers (1956), A Summer Place (1959), and the film score for which he is possibly best known, Gone with the Wind (1939).

He was also the first recipient of the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score, which he won for his score to Life with Father. Steiner was a frequent collaborator with some of the most famous film directors in history, including Michael Curtiz, John Ford, Howard Hawks, William Dieterle, William Wyler, Raoul Walsh, John Huston, Irving Pichel, King Vidor, and Frank Capra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Steiner_filmography

Franz Waxman too!

Here’s 5 FYCs you should definitely consider

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Sakamoto

Alexander Nevsky, Prokofiev

Beasts of the Southern Wild, Romer

Pan’s Labyrinth, Navarrete

Once Upon a Time in the West, Morricone

On 5/21/2019 at 12:06 PM, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Then this list would really be needless Zimmer dominance

Are there a lot of Zimmer stans here? I love him but there are plenty of others. The thing about pre-2000 is all of the obvious choices (Star Wars, Indy, Superman, Batman) will be at the top, no doubt about it. Post-2000 might have Zimmer at the top but I have no idea which ones

Is "Walking with Dinosaurs" (the one from 1999 of course!) allowed too? That one had great music, but does it count as "film score" since it's a documentary/mini-series?

Edit: I know now that it can't qualify, the music is still great though :)

Edited by Aristis