SLAM!

*Y5 Oscar Picks*

24 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

What was the ending in the source material 

This'll be all off memory since I haven't read the fic since... junior year of high school I think? I'll put it in spoiler tags in case anyone ever wants to read the fic (Looking at you @Spaghetti!):

So basically, about halfway through the fic, Lyra discovers the cause of her curse is her accidentally playing a symphony on her lyre that causes her to be "unsung" from the fabric of reality. She works her way through... I think, 9 movements? on the lyre, slowly discovering them among Ponyville through archives and stuff, and they basically let her go through the surface of hell or whatever realms the pony gods have. IDK, it's been a while. 

Everytime she completes a movement, the curse progresses to be the worse. By the end of the eighth movement, she has nearly forgotten her own name and goes about a year just totally forgetting everything (including her lyre) until she comes across it in the garbage and remembers herself quickly. She completes the movements and after basically ascending the layers of PonyHell or whathaveyou meets the Goddess of the Unsung (an original character and mythology for the fic).

The Goddess of the Unsung offers to undo her curse, but with a price: everything she has accomplished since being cursed is undone and basically all her character development would be erased. That's not as important as other things; for example, as you can see in AWitC, she rescues Milo and Tommy from a death in a fire, and that'd be immediately undone. However, the fic takes it to another level.

In one of the last few chapters before the endgame of the fic, the season 2 premiere of MLP:FiM takes place, which is the siege of a chaos god named Discord upon all of Equestria. In the show, it's resolved by the main characters and the magic of friendship (obviously), but in this fic, it turns out that Discord met Lyra and was fascinated by her curse essentially making her immune from his chaos magic. Through a series of challenges, Discord is able to briefly see the Goddess of the Unsung through Lyra, and (this is very much me trying to remember, might not be 100% here) Discord regrets cursing the Goddess herself. He willingly turns himself to stone because of Lyra.

Ergo, in the fic, if Lyra allows herself to be uncursed, then the apocalypse she averted would be undone. She wouldn't really be free, she'd be damning the entire world (along with her friends who would've died). So she turns down the Goddess's offer. However, the Goddess explains that if she turns it down, she must take something away from Lyra. After all, with the curse progressing to its final stage, permanently causing personal memory loss, who's to say she won't be back here soon asking for the curse to be undone again? She won't remember this conversation at all. Lyra then plays one last symphony, one that takes away her memory of how to play the lyre.

The final chapter of the fic is merely fragments of the rest of her life as she wonders who she is and why no one can ever remember her, until she herself forgets in the fragment that they would have a reason to remember. The fic ends with her a few years later in alone on a park bench in the cold, having totally forgotten who she is and her own story with no one caring about her. The fic gives us a fragment of a bittersweet hope with the final line being that the park is so beautiful, she feels as though she could write a song about it. The fic then ends, implying that she has died in the cold.

(This is why the film itself ends at around chapter 8 of this 20-chapter fic lol)

Edited by Blankments
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Blankments said:

This'll be all off memory since I haven't read the fic since... junior year of high school I think? I'll put it in spoiler tags in case anyone ever wants to read the fic (Looking at you @Spaghetti!):

Reveal hidden contents

That sounds more disturbing than " The Conversion Bureau".

• ...wtf 1

So, I now have FIVE ballots counted.

Folks, there are some contentious categories. Lots of competitors vying for slots. It's extremely exciting. And I think there's only four ballots left to be counted, too. There's gonna be some hoopla when the tiebreakers drop.

• Like 2

Obligatory Message:

If you haven't sent in your ballot yet and you have some extra time after placing films on the advanced schedule tonight, don't hesitate to send your ballot to me! I'll be available to tabulate ballots tonight!

12 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Obligatory Message:

If you haven't sent in your ballot yet and you have some extra time after placing films on the advanced schedule tonight, don't hesitate to send your ballot to me! I'll be available to tabulate ballots tonight!

I still need to read scavvies 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5615597

Spoiler
  • There's a major category where five candidates are essentially vying to be nomination #5--the "fifth slot" nominee, per se.
  • In many categories, a last minute surge in votes could mean a tiebreaker, or even a nomination.

Waiting for two more ballots...

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5615597

Hide contents
  • There's a major category where five candidates are essentially vying to be nomination #5--the "fifth slot" nominee, per se.
  • In many categories, a last minute surge in votes could mean a tiebreaker, or even a nomination.

Waiting for two more ballots...

I’m guessing that category is

Spoiler

Best Picture

Assuming tiebreakers move quickly Oscar noms should be posted by Wednesday night or so.

Which is good, since Thursday night to Monday night I'm out of town. I'll be around, but intermittently, so the earliest I would recommend the Oscar ceremony would be the night of the 5th.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Assuming tiebreakers move quickly Oscar noms should be posted by Wednesday night or so.

Which is good, since Thursday night to Monday night I'm out of town. I'll be around, but intermittently, so the earliest I would recommend the Oscar ceremony would be the night of the 5th.

That's a good night for me.