That One Girl

Richard Jewell | December 13 2019 | Clint Eastwood's highly anticipated follow-up to The Mule | Now a WB movie | Premiering at AFI Festival

After watching this trailer, I think I might see why Paul Walter Hauser is getting cast in a lot of projects. I'm not saying he has the star power for people to care who he is, at least not right now. But I do think there's something about him as a lead actor that's going to appeal to the kind of Americans who don't go to the movies very much. If you wanna talk about being represented onscreen, then I'll bring up how there's a lot of people in America who look like and speak like this film's Richard Jewell (and I mean that in the best, most respectful way possible). I wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Walter Hauser land similar leading roles to this one if this film becomes a big hit. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but hopefully I'm not tone deaf.

• Like 4

Looks good but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets the Joker treatment from critics because it takes aim at the FBI and the media, 2 institutions that don't handle criticism very well, especially nowadays.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 5

Just now, Ozymandias said:

Looks good but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets the Joker treatment from critics because it takes aim at the FBI and the media, 2 institutions that don't handle criticism very well, especially nowadays.

oh yeah critics won't take well to potential attacks on the media. I did wonder about that element of it. 

side bar i always think it's funny when critics relate themselves to actual serious journalism movies. like when they review Spotlight or The Post or whatever and they're like "As a journalist I relate to this"  why? because you had to rush be the first to post a casting rumor for a Marvel movie? lmao fuck off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

oh yeah critics won't take well to potential attacks on the media. I did wonder about that element of it. 

side bar i always think it's funny when critics relate themselves to actual serious journalism movies. like when they review Spotlight or The Post or whatever and they're like "As a journalist I relate to this"  why? because you had to rush be the first to post a casting rumor for a Marvel movie? lmao fuck off.

throw in the fact that Clint Eastwood's politics aren't exactly in alignment with most of them and the victim in this movie is a white male emot-shepface.gif

• Astonished 1

45 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

after this and Sully Clint needs to complete the "guy gets trial by media" trilogy with a Ken Bone biopic.

But Sully wasn't tried by the media or even the NTSB, really, Clint threw that in to stretch the Miracle on the Hudson to 90 minutes, the reality is a Mayday Air Disasters episode. They had to up the drama somehow, and Flight had already done a similar story but with more sizzle: some people on the plane died and the pilot was an alcoholic screwing a flight attendant half his age, then some other junkie chick because, hey, why not. Anyway, the Hanks movie made up this huge skepticism of Sully that never really existed.

I follow some awards writers on Twitter who are tired of some of their clickbaiting colleagues, they might embrace a movie that will decry trials by media and the rush to be first! But it's Clint, they hateses him.

Is Eastwood ever directing another movie not based on a real story again? Feels like it's been a while...

• Like 1

On the one hand, I think the media does deserve to be looked at through a critical lens. Public scrutiny, especially with online resources of the 21st century is very dangerous. However, given current American politics, and (unwarranted) attacks on the media and free speech, I can see how a topic like this may not sit well in our current climate. But it is a conversation that needs to be had, and if this movie can tell the story in a (hopefully) unbiased (in terms of today's politics) way, I think it could be quite an engaging and important film. 

• Like 2

there's definitely a hell of a lot of bad faith and poorly researched media/reporting out there but these days if you complain about it as a systemic problem if you're not talking about fox news you get branded as trumpian. uncool. so i feel like the phrase reviews are gonna hit this with is "it's not the right time for this story" which i always hate.

• Like 5

Someone mentioned Patriots Day and I just gotta say, as someone who usually finds "raw raw 'Murca!" movies annoying and often shallow, that was a damn good film. Poignant and exciting, and terrific performances/direction all around. Wish it had done better at the box office. 

Looks okay, I think Clint's a boring director outside of any political beefs I have with him (seriously) but I have always been fascinated by this story and its a good trailer. As a flaming liberal who went to a pretty damn good journalism school, the "liberal media" is one of the biggest myths ever constructed. Whether it's the complete butchery of the Iraq War story, or the Michael Brown "no angel" bullshit, or the fact that every news outlet from national to local shows black people's mugshots and white serial killers smiling with their families (that they like turned into lampshades)....it's a messy thing. I have serious empirical evidence (from scholars much smarter than me) showing that the generally considered mainstream media is at best center-right except on like....gay rights and hating Donald Trump personally. Also it's possible for something to both be an absolutely essential freedom and often wrong at the same time. Hell, the New York Times is doing both some fantastic work and some absolutely godawful shit as we speak!

Also I will say it's not like Jewell got torn apart and the killer ended up being a person of color or something, dude was like what Stephen Miller would be if Trump didn't employ him. 

• Like 6