sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

58 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Have a feeling wom is going to kill the film before Sunday.

wom did not kill The Nun over its weekend, and this has has about the same critical reception and also part of the conjuring universe. it'll live, I can see it doing 26M/56M.

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

Only wondering, to those americans here, do you guys get any holidays for Good Friday? Could that be slightly boosting previews?

Yeh it does. 

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

The only caution I give is that Good Friday heavily inflates the Friday grosses, almost all films will be flat / up or down 5-10% Saturday which will only make the openers look worse in comparison. Friday usually reps more than 50% for the whole weekend so it needs to pull 13+ to have any hopes of going over 25m. 

Yeh horror movies don’t tend to have great multipliers over Easter weekend.

In fact the only two I could find were Grindhouse (2.3x) and Shutter (2.25x). Both fell 19% on Saturday. So I’d expect something similar for La Llorona. 

But hey, an opening over $20m saves some face when it was tracking in the mid teens. It cost $15m, it’ll probably do $100m+ worldwide, it’ll make money. 

• Like 1

I shall rephrase to close to 50% but my point still stands. COL needs to make big bank today if it wants 25m cause it will fall steep on both Sat and Sunday. 

There is a reason horror doesnt usually open around Easter. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The power of TCU is unstoppable right now, if Annabelle: Comes Home gets decent reviews, it’s opening above $50m.

I dont think even a quarter of the crowd even knows its explicitly linked to the franchise :kitschjob:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I shall rephrase to close to 50% but my point still stands. COL needs to make big bank today if it wants 25m cause it will fall steep on both Sat and Sunday. 

There is a reason horror doesnt usually open around Easter. 

This  

Could point to a $10m+ opening day. 

-20% Sat, -40% Sun. 

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

wom did not kill The Nun over its weekend, and this has has about the same critical reception and also part of the conjuring universe. it'll live, I can see it doing 26M/56M.

I can see it missing a multiplier of 2.0, especially since it (along with everything else) is gonna be decimated next weekend in the Endgame onslaught.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They fuck once in this movie that advertises itself as being Fifty Shades of Grey for kids

They do a lot more in the book.

Spoiler

He actually touches her in the lake. He actually goes down on her on the first sex scene. In the movie he doesn't do those things. 

Still, I will never understand why they call it Fifty Shades for teens. I will never forget seeing it in a sold out show tho. It was legendary. A real event.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can see it missing a multiplier of 2.0, especially since it (along with everything else) is gonna be decimated next weekend in the Endgame onslaught.

There are 300 million reasons why it will drop 80% next weekend.

48 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They do a lot more in the book.

Still, I will never understand why they call it Fifty Shades for teens. I will never forget seeing it in a sold out show tho. It was legendary. A real event.

Similar setting (Seattle area), same sort of virginal college girl being tempted by a handsome bad boy. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

New Line’s The Curse of La Llorona is eyeing a $9.1M+ Friday for a $19M-$20M opening at 3,372 thaeters while the studio’s Shazam! will settle for second at $15.7M (a 36% dip) at 4,183 off a third Friday of $6.3M and a running total by Sunday of $119.7M .  Since Llorona is an R-rated horror, expect this movie to play into the late hours, natch. Llorona cost before P&A a thrifty $9M net in production costs, hence a solid result here.  That $9.1M today includes last night’s $2.75M previews.

Llorona‘s Friday bests Escape Room‘s first day plus previews ($7.6M), and it’s just under Pet Sematary‘s $9.9M and right on the money with Lights Out‘s $9.1M.

Disney-Fox’s Breakthrough is seeing an estimated $3.5M today for a 3-day of $10M, and five-day of $13.5M.

Disney will own spots four and six as well respectively with Captain Marvel ($7M, -18% and $398M cume) and Dumbo ($5.9M, -37%, and a $100.3M).

Universal’s Little is seeing a second weekend of$6.8M, -56% for a 10-day of $27.7M in 5th.

Disneynature’s Penguins is eyeing $650K today, $1.77M over FSS and $2.7M over five days.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-curse-of-la-llorona-shazam-easter-weekend-box-office-2-1202598869/

Edited by Alli
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

New Line’s The Curse of La Llorona is eyeing a $9.1M+ Friday for a $19M-$20M opening at 3,372 thaeters while the studio’s Shazam! will settle for second at $15.7M (a 36% dip) at 4,183 off a third Friday of $6.3M and a running total by Sunday of $119.7M .  Since Llorona is an R-rated horror, expect this movie to play into the late hours, natch. Llorona cost before P&A a thrifty $9M net in production costs, hence a solid result here.  That $9.1M today includes last night’s $2.75M previews.

Llorona‘s Friday bests Escape Room‘s first day plus previews ($7.6M), and it’s just under Pet Sematary‘s $9.9M and right on the money with Lights Out‘s $9.1M.

Disney-Fox’s Breakthrough is seeing an estimated $3.5M today for a 3-day of $10M, and five-day of $13.5M.

Disney will own spots four and six as well respectively with Captain Marvel ($7M, -18% and $398M cume) and Dumbo ($5.9M, -37%, and a $100.3M).

Universal’s Little is seeing a second weekend of$6.8M, -56% for a 10-day of $27.7M in 5th.

Disneynature’s Penguins is eyeing $650K today, $1.77M over FSS and $2.7M over five days.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-curse-of-la-llorona-shazam-easter-weekend-box-office-2-1202598869/

Good for COL. Shazam is going to be at around 125 million by the time Endgame comes out. It should end its run at around 150, if it stabilizes after next weekend. Pretty good.

Captain Marvel is rolling along like a juggernaut- fueled by Endgame, of course. Wouldn’t be shocked to see it higher than 7 million.

Little dropped harder than I thought it would.