sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

The Endgame thread is going be shit judging by the maturity of some these past few weekends.

Bold suggestion: The mods should ban the trolls who have been threadbanned these past few weeks from the Endgame weekend thread. I mean they likely won’t change anyway and whether they’re pro Marvel or pro DC they keep on poisoning the well and stirring the pot so why give them a fifth chance.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Next weekend is going to be lovely and peaceful.

Only hope they do not get some mods to quit....

Yeah, that would be nice. Like, in the dailies... only pure numbers, no comparing to old dead horses there nor in all movie threads.

'discussions' only in the fan war thread :wub:

You know, if you all think next week is going to be a shitshow, you have a whole week to think about how to make good choices to prevent that self-fulfilling prophecy!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

You know, if you all think next week is going to be a shitshow, you have a whole week to think about how to make good choices to prevent that self-fulfilling prophecy!

That sounds smart but that's not how it works. Users who will make it shitshow are not even commenting in these threads. One chance, and they will all come out.

• Like 1

Pretty good start for The Curse of La Llorona. It's definitely more of a mini-breakout akin to Lights Out than a big one like the first Conjuring, Annabelle, or Nun films, but it's already set to be a profitable win for Warner Bros. Everyone's fear of the imminent Endgame slaughter gave this film a good opening to enjoy a fairly open market; the weak staying power that Pet Sematary and Us have had also cleared an opening for the mainstream horror crowd to show up. Legs are bound to be poor with the competition coming up, but it did what it needed to do to be a hit for its distributor.

Shazam! held on really well. It, too, is looking at a rough drop against Endgame, but it's putting up solid numbers overall and should be able to hit at least the mid-150s before closing.

Breakthrough had a good weekend. Like Heaven Is for Real and Miracles from Heaven in past years, releasing in close proximity to Easter proved a good fit.

Captain Marvel really took advantage of Endgame anticipation in the last weekend of the lead-up. Considering that Good Friday provided a boost and the film - while huge - hasn't been huge on as historic a level, it kinda makes sense that it got an increase while Black Panther didn't in the weekend before Infinity War.

Little has done okay thus far. It should be able to hit around $45 million, which would more than double its production budget.

Dumbo has stabilized after the rough holds of the past two weekends. I'll be interested to see what kind of boost Disney might give it with Endgame next weekend.

Pet Sematary took another hit this weekend, but it's already profitable against a fairly modest budget.

Missing Link held on nicely, though its performance is still disheartening for yet another well-reviewed Laika film.

Us finally gets a drop of under 50%, which is nice. It should at least be able to land a little above Get Out's final gross.

Hellboy got obliterated, which is no surprise between its weak opening and the poor reception it seems to have gotten. Endgame will all but sweep it out of theaters next weekend.

Really, as "calm before the storm" weekends go, this one wasn't too bad. There were at least some films making solid money, as opposed to - say - the weekend ahead of Spider-Man 3, when nothing hit double-digits millions.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

People making good choices on BOT?  I admire your optimism.

• Thanks 1

Rather than the "calm" before the storm, I think the strong opening of CoLL and the strong hold by Shazam! and the actual positive growth of Captain Marvel are indicative of the "rush" before the storm - people who have wanted to see these films rushed out to do so to clear the decks to see Avengers next week. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Rather than the "calm" before the storm, I think the strong opening of CoLL and the strong hold by Shazam! and the actual positive growth of Captain Marvel are indicative of the "rush" before the storm - people who have wanted to see these films rushed out to do so to clear the decks to see Avengers next week. 

I think you had a ton of people like myself who saw CM again right before as a prep for End Game. I don't even watch the first film before sequels, I didnt for End Game.

I've watched like 12 marvel films in the last week.