sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

Also runtimes w/out credits (even though everyone will stay until the credits for this) and attachments for next week:

Avengers: Endgame: 2:48. 2D showings have Lion King and Rise of Skywalker attached. 3D has Toy Story 4 and Aladdin.

This is just like when TFA debuted. 2D had Civil War and Zootopia, 3D had The Finest Hours and The Jungle Book

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also runtimes w/out credits (even though everyone will stay until the credits for this) and attachments for next week:

Avengers: Endgame: 2:48. 2D showings have Lion King and Rise of Skywalker attached. 3D has Toy Story 4 and Aladdin.

This is just like when TFA debuted. 2D had Civil War and Zootopia, 3D had The Finest Hours and The Jungle Book

I guess those choices make sense. Somewhat expected Frozen 2 though. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part because I really wanna see that teaser in theatre. 

Do you know if IMAX attachments are any different?

https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-curse-of-la-llorona-shazam-easter-weekend-box-office-2-1202598869/

That figure is slightly higher than the $2.3M that  Paramount’s Pet Sematary posted in previews two weeks ago, as well as Escape Room‘s $2.3M Thursday night and the Wan produced Lights Out ($1.8M).

Tracking has Llorona opening between $15M-$17M, making a run at Shazam!‘s No. 1 two weekend streak. It wouldn’t come as a surprise if La Llorona hits $20M given Wan’s name on the one-sheet and the fact that it’s Good Friday, a huge moviegoing day with 74% K-12 schools off and another 29% from colleges. Among Wan’s producer credits, he has only had one movie open to below $20M and that was Saw VI ($14.1M). In regards to Llorona‘s Thursday night comps, both Pet Sematary and Lights Out, made north of $20M respectively with $24.5M and $21.6M. Also Monday boasts 37% K-12 off and 8% colleges on break, so there should be an extra B.O. cushion on Easter Sunday.

• Like 3

Okay, so...

If it follows Pet Sematary

29.3M weekend

If it follows Glass

30M weekend

If it follows Escape Room

21.3M weekend

Glass opened on a holiday weekend, so this feels like the most apt comparison, and would be great for this movie. O/U Lights Out for the total probably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's way better than I expected. A shame that it didn't reunite far better conditions to perform on, because it could've been a real breakout if they were there.

Exactly, it makes me so fucking angry. If it's doing these kind of numbers with awful reviews, how much it would make with a good reception? We could've been talking about a potential $100m grosser here that got wasted, urgh.

Well, at least it reinforces the strength of the TCU brand.

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Okay, so...

If it follows Pet Sematary

29.3M weekend

If it follows Glass

30M weekend

If it follows Escape Room

21.3M weekend

Glass opened on a holiday weekend, so this feels like the most apt comparison, and would be great for this movie. O/U Lights Out for the total probably.

Also ER had 4pm previews which probably skewed badly. 

Couple more comps:

The Nun:

27.3M weekend

A Quiet Place:

32.1M weekend

AQP was quite walkup friendly iirc, so that's probably a bit too high. Nun on the other hand Nun is directly part of TCU so maybe it should be more than that? 

Feels like 27-31 might be a suitable range ATP.

This is way more than I expected. My theater was dead last night, at least for the first shows. My Dolby show only had about 25 people, 2D was a dozen, and IMAX was one ticket.

btw, this movie is godawful but really hilarious in moments

• Like 2

The only caution I give is that Good Friday heavily inflates the Friday grosses, almost all films will be flat / up or down 5-10% Saturday which will only make the openers look worse in comparison. Friday usually reps more than 50% for the whole weekend so it needs to pull 13+ to have any hopes of going over 25m. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The only caution I give is that Good Friday heavily inflates the Friday grosses, almost all films will be flat / up or down 5-10% Saturday which will only make the openers look worse in comparison. Friday usually reps more than 50% for the whole weekend so it needs to pull 13+ to have any hopes of going over 25m. 

Not true.

• Like 2