Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect Feige wouldn't want the job, it's much more demanding than his role at Marvel Studios, 

It's not necessarily more demanding but it's less hands on creative which is what Feige says he enjoys.  He doesn't want to be the main money guy, he wants to produce.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I know tonally we just watched this epic weepfest and now we have to watch this cutesy teen rom-com about a kid going on vacation? lol

You don’t watch FFH for the spider kid, you will watch it for the magnificent fishbowl!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I know tonally we just watched this epic weepfest and now we have to watch this cutesy teen rom-com about a kid going on vacation? lol

This film will establish a new era of the MCU, so people are curious to see what happens

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

By fallen do you mean shattered?

Like beaten by 10 million or roughly 8%?

he is saying previews + business done today by 12:30pm EST and presales for the rest of the night

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Perhaps. It has a couple of weeks' extra difference but the timing is reasonably similar. 

However Antman and the Wasp also suffered from a horrible staggered international release due to the World Cup and featured a less prominent character. These bit worldwide launches are massive marketing boosts.

Also, it wasn't placed in between two parts of an ongoing story.

Ant-Man was a good palate cleanser but it certainly wasn't essential viewing. It did seem that Disney was more focused on The Incredibles 2 OS and Ant-Man was an afterthought. UK wise, I think launching after I2, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and Mission Impossible hurt it and then it got hit by the unexpected success of The Meg.

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect Feige wouldn't want the job, it's much more demanding than his role at Marvel Studios, 

The man has broken the OW record 3 times. He has conquered all there is to conquer. He surely wants a new challenge.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Does anyone else think Far From Home could disappoint ever so slightly a la Antman and the Wasp? It just seems like people may be emotionally drained after Endgame and need a little break?

I am expecting the opposite. People around the world seem to be ever more hooked on everything MCU. It's the gift that keep on giving. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not necessarily more demanding but it's less hands on creative which is what Feige says he enjoys.  He doesn't want to be the main money guy, he wants to produce.

Feige is more in line with the team at Pixar than say Bob Iger or Toby Emmerich. I do think Marvel Studios would be fine if he left due to quite a strong team. 

Phase 4 is looking great (my guesses, counting Disney+)

2020: Black Widow, Falcon and Winter Soldier, The Eternals

2021: Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange, Shang-Chi, Loki, WandaVision

2022: Guardians 3, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Ant-Man 3

Plus maybe Doom, New Mutants (if they do reshoots), and the potential of the FF as well

There will be films that come and fill the void after this year. Audiences want a big movie to look forward to, and something will come along unexpectedly. 

Before the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was released, no one would have pegged the franchise to have the ability to break opening weekend records. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Ant-Man was a good palate cleanser but it certainly wasn't essential viewing. It did seem that Disney was more focused on The Incredibles 2 OS and Ant-Man was an afterthought. UK wise, I think launching after I2, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and Mission Impossible hurt it and then it got hit by the unexpected success of The Meg.

Yeah, in the UK they got cute and thought they were clever adjusting it to the World Cup but paid no attention to the fact that Mamma Mia in the UK plays like a blockbuster. 

It didn't get totally walloped, but it threw at least $10m on the floor. 

As massive as that 60m is, where does this rank amongst you guys for most impressive preview/midnight opening?

Sith’s 16.9m in ‘05 more than doubled the previous record even though it’s number does seem rather pedestrian by today’s standards but this was achieved without any premium format screens, standard film projectors limiting prints and showtimes. It was the first time I believe it came out that theaters were adding 3 am and 6 am shows to keep up. 

Deathly Hallows Part II, it’s numbers speak for itself. 43.5m in true midnight fashion was nothing short of fantastic.

TFA and EG are pretty much a wash for me, both had a perfect storm and capitalized on post-TDKR preview landscape where you have so much room to grow.

What other ones come to mind?

• Like 2