Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

9 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

A rom-com with Zendaya and Holland, count me in. And Gyllenhaal as a bad guy, Yeah 100% count me in.

Yeah. It'll be appreciated, really. Like AM&TW, we could all use a palate-cleanser before moving on.

Edited by Wrath

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think even Marvel will be able to top their own record with Endgame. I imagine number 2 and 3 OWs will be topped in the future though.

Their first X-Men film and Secret Wars will take #2 and #3. 

10 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I know this was said as kinda jokey but I'll answer it seriously. Not happening. No person from their film division will become the next CEO anytime soon. Their most profitable divisions are the TV division (mainly because of ESPN) and the theme parks division. The film division is only third. If you want to know the 3 frontrunners to succeed Iger in 2021, I'll list it down.

1. Kevin Mayer- he is the head of Disney's Direct-to-Consumer and International. So just think of Disney+ and Hulu, he handles them. He also served as Disney's Chief Strategy Officer. He was one of the brains behind the acquisition of Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox. So if he becomes the next CEO, expect more acquisitions.

2. Peter Rice- he is the head of Walt Disney Television. He came from Fox.

3. Bob Chapek- he is the theme parks, resorts, and consumer products (merch) head.

Kevin powah :ohmygod:

7 minutes ago, Litio said:

Why were they banned from the thread only 1-2 days? Is this some new benefit for those ones who have gold account? At least 1 week ban from every avengers thread would be fair.

Probably because the spoilers were:  

incredibly minor

clearly accidental

swiftly removed by them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

only 60m in previews? Did not beat TFA by much, not at all with inflation. The final potter film still has the most impressive opening night numbers.

You’re such a clown. 

• Like 1

Showing for my non-reserved theater at 7 is now completely sold out.  Not a single seat unoccupied.  For it to happen this early is insane (saw Infinity War at the same time last year and my friends got walk-up tickets just fine).

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, blackspider said:

AMC 30 Ontario Mills here in Southern California has a whopping 78 showtimes today for EG. Any theater you guys tracking have more?

Biggest multiplex in Seoul , had more than 100 showtimes since OD everyday.

http://www.cgv.co.kr/reserve/show-times/?areacode=01&theaterCode=0013&date=20190427

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

Why were they banned from the thread only 1-2 days? Is this some new benefit for those ones who have gold account? At least 1 week ban from every avengers thread would be fair.

Deliberate spoilers are an automatic 1/2 week forum ban... especially major ones.

Accidental spoiler punishments are discussed among the staff.

10 hours ago, Arlo245 said:

I think this will be how it pans out. My "conservative" prediction 😄

$60 million Thursday night (SUCCESS!)

$85 million true Friday (+41.7% from Thu)

$145 million Friday 

$100 million Saturday (-31%) (+17.7%)

$80 million Sunday (-20%)

Previews to OW multiplier: 5.417x (18.46%)

Avengers: Infinity War's multi: 6.608x (15%)

Friday to OW multiplier: 2.242x (44.62%)

Avengers: Infinity War's multi: 2.418x (41%)

$325 million opening weekend

$150 million second weekend (-53.8%)

$78 million third weekend (-48%)

$42 million fourth weekend (-46.1%)

$26.5/33million fifth weekend(-37%/-21%)

$11 million sixth weekend (-58.4%)

$5.5 million seventh weakend (-50%)

$835 million total (2.570x multiplier)

OW is 38.9% of total

Avengers: Infinity War

$678.8 million total (2.634x multiplier) 

OW is 38% of total 

So pretty similar legs 

Competition by weekend

May 3-5: -53.8% against nothing really

May 10-12: -48% against PIKACHU

May 17-19: -46.1% against John Wick

MD Wknd: -37/-21% against Aladdin

May 31-Jun 2: -58.4% against Godzilla

June 7-9: -50% against Dark Phoenix

My $60 million previews prediction was a success! Let's see how the rest of my predictions turn out! My original weekend prediction was $315M then I changed it to $325M. Was that the right choice? We'll see. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

Box Office: Has Already Earned $428 Million Worldwide, And It Still Has A Shot At A $1 Billion-Plus Worldwide Debut Five-Day Debut via by

Avengers: Endgame earned $63.11 million on Friday in China, its third day of release. That’s the biggest “non-Chinese New Year” Friday gross ever, just ahead of The Fate of the Furious’ $62 million opening day back in 2017. The film earned $107 million (counting midnight previews) on Wednesday and another $47 million on Thursday, now giving it a $218.1 million three-day cume. That Friday jump implies that Marvel doesn’t have to worry about Warcraft-worthy frontloading. That video game adaptation earned $90 million of its $156 million opening Wed-Sun weekend and its $218 million cume in the first 48 hours.

We’re probably looking at an over/under $315 million five-day opening for Avengers 4, which would essentially tie the lifetime total of Transformers: Age of Extinction ($320 million in 2014). It’ll pass the $240 million cume of Avengers: Age of Ultron sometime today and the lifetime totals of Avengers: Infinity War ($359 million last year) Furious 7 ($390 million in 2015) and Fate of the Furious ($392 million in 2017) within the next week. After that, it’s (easily) the biggest Hollywood import ever in China, affirming the MCU as the gold standard for brands that kick butt in North America and China.

Yes, Hollywood biggies tend to be frontloaded in China, but it’s still possible that the 181-minute MCU epic could leapfrog past The Mermaid ($526 million in 2016), Detective Chinatown 2 ($544 million in 2018), Operation Red Sea ($579 million in 2018) to become the third movie ever to earn over $600 million in China alone. If it actually has something resembling legs (especially after it too has to face off against Detective Pikachu, Aladdin, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Dark Phoenix), it may indeed pose a threat to The Wandering Earth ($699 million in 2019) and Wolf Warrior 2 ($854 million).

But that’s a “cross that bridge if and when” conversation. For the moment, Avengers: Endgame, which essentially closes the book on the “Infinity Saga” arc of the MCU (22 movies over 11 years), is well on its way to what could be a kind of triple whammy. It could (emphasis on “could”) score a $300 million-plus debut in North America, a $300 million-plus debut in China and then (almost by default) a $1 billion-plus global Wed-Sun five-day opening. The film has now earned $60 million in North American Thursday preview grosses (a new record), $150.5 million overseas outside of China and now $218.1 million in China.

That’s a global cume of $428.6 million in four days (counting China’s Saturday gross) of global play. If the Russo Bros.’ MCU sequel only plays overseas outside of China as well as Infinity War did last year ($382 million), and earns maybe $265 million domestic and $305 million in China, it’ll still end the weekend with $952 million. Yes, all of those numbers could tilt upward a bit by the end. A $445 million overseas launch (+16% from Infinity War), a $300 million domestic opening (+16% from Infinity War) and a $325 million Chinese launch would give Avengers: Endgame a $1.07 billion global debut weekend.

• Like 1