Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Box Office: Has Already Earned $428 Million Worldwide, And It Still Has A Shot At A $1 Billion-Plus Worldwide Debut Five-Day Debut via by

He phrased that tweet like it's chances at $1B WW have gone down, rather than become a near certainty at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Probably because the spoilers were:  

incredibly minor

clearly accidental

swiftly removed by them

Tolerance should be zero with spoilers about the biggest event of the year.

• Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Box Office: Has Already Earned $428 Million Worldwide, And It Still Has A Shot At A $1 Billion-Plus Worldwide Debut Five-Day Debut via by

A shot.  Yeah by about $100-$200m over $1 Billion

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

only 60m in previews? Did not beat TFA by much, not at all with inflation. The final potter film still has the most impressive opening night numbers.

I'll agree, at the time DH II's preview numbers were crazy.  But if you break it down, you'll see that with it's midnight start time, theaters were able to allocate as many screens as they needed to to accommodate moviegoers.  My theaters in the DC/Maryland/VA area had showings from 12am to 6am.  Roughly the same time Endgame and TFA had with 6pm - 12am showings.  And the theaters for TFA and EG still had to show other movies in that same time frame. 

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been commented or not, but on one level I actually am surprised that EG 'only' beat TFA by 3 million.  With all of the sellouts and all of the mania and all of, well everything.  Doing some quick math, I think it beat TFA's adjusted total by around 840k.  Could be messing something up there.

Tracking EG at the seat level and seeing how nutty it was as well as following Fandango so closely gives me further appreciation of just how insane TFA was (which I didn't track beyond sellouts and that info is long lost to the mists of time).

I'm going to emphasize that EG did better than TFA in every respect, lest people think I am trying to steal its glory.  Especially when runtime is factored in. Give EG TFA's runtime and it smokes TFA. EG is the undoubted king of previews and all hail it for that. The king is dead, long live the king.

Just pointing out that EG's utter domination also shows just what a monster TFA was in the domestic market. I know I have a new found appreciation for it, while marveling at EG (no pun intended).  Before I sorta understood how well TFA did.  Now I truly get it.

I have a feeling this preview record is gonna stand for a while.  No idea how long, but quite a while.  Simply amazing.

Edited by Porthos
I tuld you I was a rottin speller
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't know if this has been commented or not, but on one level I actually am surprised that EG 'only' beat TFA by 3 million.  With all of the sellouts and all of the mania and all of, well everything.  Doing some quick math, I think it beat TFA's adjusted total by around 840k.  Could be messing something up there.

Tracking EG at the seat level and seeing how nutty it was as well as following Fandango so closely gives me further appreciation of just how insane TFA was (which I didn't track beyond sellouts and that info is long lost to the mists of time).

I'm going to empathize that EG did better than TFA in every respect, lest people think I am trying to steal its glory.  Especially when runtime is factored in. Give EG TFA's runtime and it smokes TFA. EG is the undoubted king of previews and all hail it for that. The king is dead, long live the king.

Just pointing out that EG's utter domination also shows just what a monster TFA was in the domestic market. I know I have a new found appreciation for it, while marveling at EG (no pun intended).  Before I sorta understood how well TFA did.  Now I truly get it.

I have a feeling this preview record is gonna stand for a while.  No idea how long, but quite a while.  Simply amazing.

Dude i got hate for saying I don't think Endgame is gonna beat Force Awakens 935 million. That wasn't MCU hate, that was just respect for how insane that total was. The damn movie beat Avatar's total in like 15 days or some crazy **** like that. Endgame might do that too but still. TFA was a beast. Let's see if it can get close. Would love to see a movie break 1 billion in the states for the first time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm going to empathize that EG did better than TFA in every respect, lest people think I am trying to steal its glory.  Especially when runtime is factored in. Give EG TFA's runtime and it smokes TFA. EG is the undoubted king of previews and all hail it for that. The king is dead, long live the king.

Me too. I remember TFA hype was insane but seeing even this monster only beat it by 3 million... impressive

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm going to emphasize that EG did better than TFA in every respect, lest people think I am trying to steal its glory.  Especially when runtime is factored in. Give EG TFA's runtime and it smokes TFA. EG is the undoubted king of previews and all hail it for that. The king is dead, long live the king.

I think this weekend will be more backloaded then TFA, that was my belief from the start.

• Like 1

Previews a solid 10m below what I expected, but that only means bigger and better things ahead for the weekend proper. Hell, it didn't even get close to burning off 50% of its pre-sales in previews, which already shows how monstrous this is going to be over the weekend given MCU is always walk up heavy too. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think this weekend will be more backloaded then TFA, that was my belief from the start.

I think that pretty much went without saying.  It burnt off a lot of demand, but it still is a Marvel film.  Even with all the hype, it's still going to play stronger into the weekend than a SW film will.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, it’s interesting to beat TFA by like 50% in total presales and 5% on Thursday. Strong suggestion that MCU will still play somewhat like MCU on the weekend trajectory (though obviously a record low MCU internal multi is coming).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think that pretty much went without saying.  It burnt off a lot of demand, but it still is a Marvel film.  Even with all the hype, it's still going to play stronger into the weekend than a SW film will.

I am actually wondering what the hell the Saturday number will be 😎

Based on Presales at my theater it will get a large jump on Saturday. 

like the  10am show is 75% sold out lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1