Jump to content
CoolEric258

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $859M OS, $1.209B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Recommended Posts

On 4/20/2019 at 8:16 PM, Nova said:

I mean it is possible. The numbers it is putting up are insane and we are certainly in uncharted territory now. But one could also argue that the higher it opens, the worse it drops since more people will have seen the film its OW? But I think that honestly depends on what the actual ceiling is for End Game in terms of its overall gross. If its gonna gross in the range of $700M then yea that means its drops are gonna be worse. But if its gonna gross $900M to $1B domestically or whatever then its drops are gonna be normal for a CBM

On 4/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, RealLyre said:

yeah totally, we could be looking at a deathly hallows part 1 and 2 situation where DH2 increased 35% (which is massive) over DH1 on OW. same increase for EG over IW gives EG 346M OW. but as you said the higher it opens the worse it drops, so it could also have similar legs to DH2 and do $780M. 

 

@Nova this doesn't sound too crazy right now lmfao, EG OW might actually finish closer to 346M than 300M :huh:

 

Spoiler

Pika Pika is in danger :stirthepot:

 

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CJohn said:

The man has broken the OW record 3 times. He has conquered all there is to conquer. He surely wants a new challenge.

Now he can rest. And watch the sun rise on a grateful universe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blackspider said:

That adjusted PTA for ROTJ is very strange. I wonder how theaters handled demand for that back in the day. It must’ve just been selling out every show but I doubt theaters were staying open 24/7 and also can’t be as flexible in terms of adding showtimes as they are today.

 

On a unrelated note, still don’t understand how Lion Kings PTA is possible. And when you adjust it’s stupid.

Jedi played in a lot of premium 70mm venues that could go over 1,000 seats for a single screen. (Most of these theaters have been demolished or multiplexed over the years. Mostly demolished.) Even with fewer showtimes, those places could absorb 4,000-6,000 people per day (newspaper ads I can find tend to list 4-6 showtimes).

 

Also, there was upfront demand but even something like ROTJ had much better legs than today because there was not as much supply, movies spent longer in theaters, etc. It pulled a 6.1x off of its first six days (opening Wed to Memorial Day).

 

As for Lion King, that played at the El Capitan and Radio City Music Hall. El Capitan seats 1,100, and Radio City seats 6,015. I know from a Variety article that Radio City had 4 shows a day, and mentioned 5,000 seats available. At full capacity, RCMH would have accounted for 20,000 admissions a day.

 

Also, those were premium-priced tickets - it wasn’t just the movie, it had stage performance stuff too. According to that article, the Rockettes were part of the Radio City program. It specifically says Radio City showings were priced at $26 for adults, $21 for children/seniors - and this was in 1994 dollars. So it didn’t sell as many tickets as you’d assume from dividing it by the average price for 1994. The adjusted average is probably overinflated too.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Cineplex app and website has been down for about a hour due to insane demand.

 

Cineplex controls 80% of the Canadian Market. 

 

This is the third time Endgame has crashed this app

 

 

April 2nd 

Thursday Night and TOday 

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got out of my second showing. 11am on a Friday and it was almost packed. The 11am crowd is a lot less excitable though, almost no cheering or gasping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

 

700 mil is the magic number. If it makes that, it's possible. Then again, Force Awakens didn't. The weighted ballot really ruined the good thing they had going in 2009 and 2010. 

As much as it deserves it, this won’t get a BP nom after seeing it. The old school branch of the Academy are way too snobby and stuck up their own butt for this movie. The only way to get through to them with big budget is to have some kind of social-political driving force. 

  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very happy to say that I just got out of my second viewing of endgame and I liked it much better the second time. The first hour is pretty damn awesome the second hour flows a bit better and of course the third hour is just awesome. I originally had it at a seven out of ten but I would up it now to the grade of 8.5 out of 10. It definitely helps seeing it a second time

  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

force awakens was actually the first time the highest grossing movie ever missed a best pic nomination. both that and endgame probably would've happened in like the 80s.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm very happy to say that I just got out of my second viewing of endgame and I liked it much better the second time. The first hour is pretty damn awesome the second hour flows a bit better and of course the third hour is just awesome. I originally had it at a seven out of ten but I would up it now to the grade of 8.5 out of 10. It definitely helps seeing it a second time

 

 

I am planning to see it 3 times 🤗

 

WIth 10 friends today

 

with my gf next Friday and my cousins next Saturday, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Jedi played in a lot of premium 70mm venues that could go over 1,000 seats for a single screen. (Most of these theaters have been demolished or multiplexed over the years. Mostly demolished.) Even with fewer showtimes, those places could absorb 4,000-6,000 people per day (newspaper ads I can find tend to list 4-6 showtimes).

 

Also, there was upfront demand but even something like ROTJ had much better legs than today because there was not as much supply, movies spent longer in theaters, etc. It pulled a 6.1x off of its first six days (opening Wed to Memorial Day).

 

As for Lion King, that played at the El Capitan and Radio City Music Hall. El Capitan seats 1,100, and Radio City seats 6,015.

 

Wow had no idea about either of those. Jesus Christ! A 6,000 seat theater! 

 

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 time multiplier and 1 billion domestic is too much to ask in summer box office season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just had to stop in one time to see the numbers and holy crap!!!  I was in the $300 million OW club but still shocking

 

I'm seeing the movie tomorrow in IMAX.  May as well go out with a bang :)

 

now i'm back on my hiatus until I see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

force awakens was actually the first time the highest grossing movie ever missed a best pic nomination. both that and endgame probably would've happened in like the 80s.

it did get a special BFCA add-on nomination though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nero said:

@Shawn what do you think about 330M OW? Is it doable?

Wouldn't rule it out! Curious to see how much higher than 140 Friday might go.

  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

No disrespect to Shawn, but he didn’t even think 300 was possible a couple days ago lol

Uh, what? Literally never said that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Wow!
I had joked that CM would be #2 this weekend in last weekend's thread... who knew!

Also, It is quite possible we will have an overall weekend gross of 400 million. That is insane!

What's the prior record? 350-something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

force awakens was actually the first time the highest grossing movie ever missed a best pic nomination. both that and endgame probably would've happened in like the 80s.

 

That's pretty interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As much as it deserves it, this won’t get a BP nom after seeing it. The old school branch of the Academy are way too snobby and stuck up their own butt for this movie. The only way to get through to them with big budget is to have some kind of social-political driving force. 

I’m not so sure. The Academy does sometimes award fantasy and sci-fi based on the grandeur of accomplishment.

 

I remember when RotK won the general consensus was that it was basically winning on behalf of the entire trilogy and what an accomplishment it was. Same could happen for Endgame, you never know. It is, after all, the Producers that accept the award for Best Picture and everyone, including the Academy, knows that Feige has accomplished a ton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nero said:

I mean except for us few people no one believed in 300M OW buy Shawn did say that it was possible when I asked him

Exactly. We even had 300 in the long range a week ago, and that was just the point when it made sense to go public with such a number. @MovieMan89 may be thinking of someone else?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

As much as it deserves it, this won’t get a BP nom after seeing it. The old school branch of the Academy are way too snobby and stuck up their own butt for this movie. The only way to get through to them with big budget is to have some kind of social-political driving force. 

what sociopolitical driving force did The Martian, Gravity or Inception have?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.