Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah I underestimated how big everything would drop, it looks like. The prevailing wisdom was that, at least for certain movies, spillover effect would help but it looks like that's not the case. Everyone and their dog just went and found a way to see Endgame, every other movie be damned.

Captain Marvel is developing really great legs.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 1

Just now, Fanboy said:

With how busy theatres would be today I'm surprised anybody could even be bothered seeing anything other than Endgame. 

It'd be very tempting to axe anything not called Endgame or Captain Marvel but I imagine cinemas probably have to keep a few holdovers in order appease the other distributors. They can drop a few showtimes but not axe them entirely.

By the way, Saturday is totally going to act like a Marvel Saturday. Looking at showings for tomorrow, they look even more sold than Friday shows looked yesterday.

Even though presales have experienced a ton of growth, I think we around here may underestimate the amount of people who still don't do advanced ticket buying, at least further out than a day. A lot of people who want to see a movie like this probably don't even think about it in the weeks leading up to it and then walk out of the office on Friday and begin their weekend by buying a ticket for whenever.

• Like 2

Last year, @CJohn's $300M IW OW club seemed out of reach. I still remember lurking here and people talking about how $300M OW is highly impossible unless almost all screens were given to a movie and tons of people were to fill almost all of them.

A year later and here we have Endgame cruising through $300M OW like it's nothing. 

Also insane how Dom and China are basically competing on which territory goes higher than $300M OW. A true world event. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised other films weren't reduced to a single showtime each day, with the only showing at 9:00 am so that every screen from noon onward was EG and nothing else. It would be best the way to maximize revenue this weekend and still meet obligations to show the other films.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Last year, @CJohn's $300M IW OW club seemed out of reach. I still remember lurking here and people talking about how $300M OW is highly impossible unless almost all screens were given to a movie and tons of people were to fill almost all of them.

A year later and here we have Endgame cruising through $300M OW like it's nothing. 

Also insane how Dom and China are basically competing on which territory goes higher than $300M OW. A true world event. 

All the screens are being given to Endgame :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It'd be very tempting to axe anything not called Endgame or Captain Marvel but I imagine cinemas probably have to keep a few holdovers in order appease the other distributors. They can drop a few showtimes but not axe them entirely.

Oh they're 100% contracted to keep them. But I really feel for the poor people that just want to see a normal movie today. 

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

By the way, Saturday is totally going to act like a Marvel Saturday. Looking at showings for tomorrow, they look even more sold than Friday shows looked yesterday.

Even though presales have experienced a ton of growth, I think we around here may underestimate the amount of people who still don't do advanced ticket buying, at least further out than a day. A lot of people who want to see a movie like this probably don't even think about it in the weeks leading up to it and then walk out of the office on Friday and begin their weekend by buying a ticket for whenever.

Honestly, maybe. A coworker of mine are at our frequent sports bar. He saw it with his brother, girlfriend, and her mom today. They didn’t advance buy, they just went to the theater at 2:30 today hoping to get into a 3:00 show and it was sold out when they got there. Had to get tickets for 4:00?and wait. They went to the Chili’s in the same parking lot and got a bite and when they came back the 4pm they bought tickets for was already sold out.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I am surprised other films weren't reduced to a single showtime each day, with the only showing at 9:00 am so that every screen from noon onward was EG and nothing else. It would be best the way to maximize revenue this weekend and still meet obligations to show the other films.

I suspect they couldn't because you'd not only piss off the distributors who could withhold future titles but also anyone who wasn't a Marvel fan. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Honestly, maybe. A coworker of mine are at our frequent sports bar. He saw it with his brother, girlfriend, and her mom today. They didn’t advance buy, they just went to the theater at 2:30 today hoping to get into a 3:00 show and it was sold out when they got there. Had to get tickets for 4:00?and wait. They went to the Chili’s in the same parking lot and got a bite and when they came back the 4pm they bought tickets for was already sold out.

Exactly! Even though it's asinine to us, situations just like this are probably extremely common. I mean, at one of my theatres several showings for Monday are almost sold out! When I checked this yesterday and the day before it wasn't even close to that. There's going to be a lot of actual ticket buying this weekend. Sounds obvious, but it's just another lesson in not judging TOO much by presales, or presales before opening weekend to be exact.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Took a peak in at the  the 11:30pm, 11:45pm and 12:am in 2D and 12am & 12:15am 3D showings at my local - screen sizes from 25-300.  There is one ONE non wheelchair seat left in each screening.  Walk ups will have to wait until the 60%+ filled 1:05am showing .  Crazy they haven't added later shows

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2