Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

And here I was thinking days ago that $320M was a pretty high but reasonable opening for A:E but it's going way past that. The movie is also only benefiting from 1 year of higher ticket prices vs. Infinity War, while IW benefited from 3 years of higher ticket prices than Age of Ultron.

8STGSNg.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueCore said:

Based on the current estimates and actuals we have for the weekend numbers, ratings, WOM, and expected repeat-viewing, the floor is now $2.7billion.

Yes, the floor is already on par with the highest grossing movie of all time (not including inflation)..

Really? What makes you say that? 

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Demand pushed the ow record - not Disney. Theaters weren't going to leave money on the table

Especially with how lean the early part of this year had been for the industry.

28 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Why would it be any more front loaded than IW?  It has suburb critic and audience reviews. IW did 2B and the likely increase in DOM/China puts Avatar in play.

Exchange rates are not helping and I think it will be challenging but I certainly would not discount it out of hand.

Because it's the finale, people want to see it ASAP. more urgently than they did for infinity war.

It is nothing bad against the film.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

That's the thing though. Even if it's frontloaded it may still beat Avatar.

I have not looked at any posts in the thread but if it managed 1B opening it would need a huge 2.78 multiplier to beat avatar

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I have not looked at any posts in the thread but if it managed 1B opening it would need a huge 2.78 multiplier to beat avatar

It's going to almost 1.2B on OW and IW legs will make it pass Avatar. Also demand is sky-high 2nd weekend seats are also sold at so many places and it got A+ cinema score.... So I don't think it will be that front loaded might be reverse actually

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Because it's the finale, people want to see it ASAP. more urgently than they did for infinity war.

It is nothing bad against the film.

Absolutely. People (including me) were desperate to see it ASAP so they could avoid the inevitable spoilers on social media, or even on TV and from friends etc...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

I see Avatars record as a stretch, but all I really want is to see Endgame wipe all the records held by TFA away.

I would say that is much harder than wiping Avatar's records. Changes of beating Avatar WW > Chances of beating TFA DOM I think.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Really? What makes you say that? 

If estimates hold it should have between $1.25-1.30bn by the end of the weekend. For the sake of this post let's go 1.25. Russia isn't including as they open on Monday but I'm imagining if it did it would be at least $20mn at the low end of expectations. So at the low end including Russia we have $1.27bn OW, we'd only need a 2.13~multi to hit Avatar's total. Even with the huge opening, I don't see any logic to endgame of a multi <2.13. This would be incredibly low due to; standard Marvel and Avenger legs, the presales we're already seeing for the weeks/weekends to come, the reviews and audience scores, the great WOM, and it being a finale.

I'm not an expert but I feel this is locked at this point. I personally don't see a multi of less than 2.15 possible.

• Like 2

It's obviously fun to speculate on where this is going to end up after the first weekend. But maybe the best thing to do right now is just enjoy this earth-shattering Earth moving thunderous explosion that this film is creating this weekend. Just for perspective I was alive and well and 11 years old in 1983 when return of the Jedi absolutely decimated the opening weekend box office number. I'm glad to say that I've lived through two or three of these actually four LOL. It's just a great time to be a fan of the box office.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I don't see how avatars record is not going down. Off of a 1.3 billion dollar opening weekend it needs an incredibly small multiplier of something like 2.3 to get there. I think the floor right now is probably 3 billion.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1