Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Infinity War being available on Netflix for months before Endgame's release has to be a factor, the saturation we're seeing feels impossible. It's like something out of the Twilight Zone because every single person I've talked to over the past few days is trying to see it this weekend. Usually with big movies I hear them say "oh yeah I want to see that," "I'll catch it later" but not "I'm checking showtimes for Saturday," "I'm going with my friends on Sunday," etc. TFA hype was more intense but not quite as widespread, Endgame feels like a tidal wave.

Not sure what the attendance would be as my ticket formula is a few years out of date but it could hit 30M, I have TFA around 23-24M.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's not even 150 million globally for live TV premier. I'd guess 80-100. 

I never said it was a billion live. Its over 100M live, but its not live worldwide on Sunday. Even at 100M that about the same as Endgame might get in ticket sales this weekend.

Point is people were saying GoT would have no effect, but its audience is near enough equal. Many fans of both will avoid the cinemas Sunday night, and go earlier in the weekend instead.

• Haha 2

If one is to determine if GOT will affect Endgame's opening weekend, we must first look at how Mayweather-Pacquiao impacted AoU.

Mayweather-Pacquiao started at 9pm Eastern, with the main fight at 11pm Eastern on Saturday. GOT airs at 9pm local Eastern and Pacific on Sunday night. Per estimates, aprox 50 million people tuned in to Mayweather-Pacquiao. Let's safely assume the audience for GOT will be 20 million. Sundays as a whole are less important than Saturdays in regards to the weekend box office, especially Sunday nights, which are week/school nights.

Surveying the 3 Avengers films so far, and adding Civil War to the mix, AoU had the biggest Saturday drop off, so it's clear the fight had an impact. AoU rebounded on Sunday with the lowest drop off of all four films, indicating that for the most part audiences interested in both the film and the fight arranged their schedules accordingly. CW beat AoU by 4.5m on Saturday. AoU beat CW by 8m on Sunday. Given that it seems most of the audience was restributed rather than lost, I think it's fair to say AoU lost maybe $10 million in revenue due to the fight.

Given that GOT will have, at best, half the aprox viewership than Mayweather-Pacquiao, and since it's on a Sunday night, I can't imagine GOT will impact Endgame's domestic OW more than $5 million, or $30 million global. Peanuts. But I'm not a mathematician.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

I never said it was a billion live. Its over 100M live, but its not live worldwide on Sunday. Even at 100M that about the same as Endgame might get in ticket sales this weekend.

Point is people were saying GoT would have no effect, but its audience is near enough equal. Many fans of both will avoid the cinemas Sunday night, and go earlier in the weekend instead.

Definitely will have an effect. It will lower views on Sunday and increase them on Monday/Tuesday and a tiny bit next Friday/Saturday.

Tiny percentage difference which will be a couple million dollars.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If one is to determine if GOT will affect Endgame's opening weekend, we must first look at how Mayweather-Pacquiao impacted AoU.

Mayweather-Pacquiao started at 9pm Eastern, with the main fight at 11pm Eastern on Saturday. GOT airs at 9pm local Eastern and Pacific on Sunday night. Per estimates, aprox 50 million people tuned in to Mayweather-Pacquiao. Let's safely assume the audience for GOT will be 20 million. Sundays as a whole are less important than Saturdays in regards to the weekend box office, especially Sunday nights, which are week/school nights.

Surveying the 3 Avengers films so far, and adding Civil War to the mix, AoU had the biggest Saturday drop off, so it's clear the fight had an impact. AoU rebounded on Sunday with the lowest drop off of all four films, indicating that for the most part audiences interested in both the film and the fight arranged their schedules accordingly. CW beat AoU by 4.5m on Saturday. AoU beat CW by 8m on Sunday. Given that it seems most of the audience was restributed rather than lost, I think it's fair to say AoU lost maybe $10 million in revenue due to the fight.

Given that GOT will have, at best, half the aprox viewership than Mayweather-Pacquiao, and since it's on a Sunday night, I can't imagine GOT will impact Endgame's domestic OW more than $5 million, or $30 million global. Peanuts. But I'm not a mathematician.

GoT real audience is bigger than that, HBO only report accounts, not 'viewers'. Even so I agree with the sentiment, it wont hurt the weekend total, only the pattern. I also suspect the audience for GoT crosses over more with Marvel than boxing fans do.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Woah! You beat @sfran43!!

That's the real record breaker here. 

I know you got email, but still you formatted and everything. This impresses me more than the number itself!

I'll never recover from this massive loss!!!😔😭😭😭😂

• Haha 5

Just now, blackspider said:

This pulled a JW with every update reporting a bigger number than the previous except on a much bigger scale. Absolutely unreal. Any chance Episode 9 had at the domestic crown for the year essentially went down the shitter. 

I think the chances of even The Lion King claiming the crown just completely flew out the window as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I'll never recover from this massive loss!!!😔😭😭😭😂

Wait you're not a bot??? 

I have legit never seen you message besides from just tweets 😮 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1