Eric Atreides

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Decided I might as well try to figure out my login information to join in the OMGWTFBBQ that this weekend is shaping up to be. 

I saw Endgame yesterday, in a packed 8am showing at the IMAX at the Metreon in SF. I am going to see it again today with the hubby and friends. It deserves every single damn cent it’s getting. But I never would have believed it could top IM’s complete domestic run in its OW. 

God. Damn. 

You’re back!!! It’s been so long.

Welcome back!

Looking at similar scenarios to Endgame when it comes to its chances at Avatar, Batman V Superman had a similar day-and-date release strategy across all markets in a single week (the only markets not contributing to OW being Poland and Myanmar.... and Myanmar's gross isn't even reported on BOM or The Numbers, meaning it probably didn't even open in theaters there.... or if it did, it made such little money that its existence is literally indifferent to the film's gross). With EG, Armenia opens tomorrow, so only Russia will be left out... although I'm sure Russia will be more important for EG's gross than Poland was for BVS by a very long shot (sorry, DC fans). EG does have the singularity of China being a 5-day OW rather than 3-day, but whatever.

Now, BVS had a 422.5M WW OW, 166 of those from NA (therefore, 256.5 OS OW), and finished with 873.6M WW total, so basically a 2.068x multiplier WW. Remember that it had sub-2x legs DOM, and without those Poland numbers (2.1M), the OS gross was around 541.2M, meaning that its OS legs, sub-Poland, were 2.11x. Poland added up to 543.7M OS total, bringing its total OS legs to 2.118x. No way EG ends up with sub-2x DOM and its multiplier will surely be higher than that range of 2.068x-2.12x that BVS' WW and OS had, but even if it falls in that range, adding it to an OW of around 1.2B gives EG the range of a WW total of 2.481.2B to 2.544B. Now, I don't know if 1.2B is a conservative number or not for EG's WW OW (someone fill me up on that one), but if it is, than.... remember that such range that I posted is with the nightmare scenario of BVS-worthy legs WW, which sounds a bit unfathomable considering how well this thing is holding everywhere so far. And Russia's gross will add wayyyyy more to EG's OS than Poland did to BVS (and that's not just in gross alone, but in percentage of OS gross as well).

A much likelier case is something like The Fate Of The Furious. 541.9 WW OW and 1.236B WW total, so 2.281x for the WW multiplier. However, some OS territories - Japan, Poland and Romania - weren't present on its WW OW. Those that were went from a 443.2 opening to 965.3 total, meaning they had a multiplier of 2.178x. Adding the Japan, Poland and Romania numbers jumped the total up to a 1.010B OS total and 2.28x OS multiplier. Now, it's not an apples to apples comparison, but Russia already gave Infinity War a massive 34.6 gross (not too short of the 44.8 combined for F8's Jap+Pol+Rom) and it's likely to potentially double this time around, so we'll act as if Russia is the EG equal to Jap+Pol+Rom for F8 and it all adds up to the same 2.28x multiplier. And F8's DOM multiple of 2.287x falls very much in line with the OS multiplier, although EG's DOM multiplier should be a lot higher than just that (that's barely above Civil War), but whatever, we'll go with it. So a Fate Of The Furious-esque range of 2.178-2.287x means EG could wind up with a WW total of 2.613.6B to 2.744.4B from said 1.2B OW. Again, remember that this does not account for a bigger DOM multiplier. If we were to replace F8's DOM multiplier of 2.287x with Infinity War's DOM multiplier (2.634x), F8's WW multiplier is pushed up to 2.344x, and EG's WW total would add up to 2.812.8B, just a smidge under Avatar.

So yeah, complicated math aside, Endgame has to hold a little stronger than Fate Of The Furious if it wants to beat Avatar WW. That being said, it is far from an impossibility. As a matter of fact, I'd say it has as good a shot as any movie that has yet come.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I cant imagine what film will even top EG or create this size of sensation in the next 5 or even 10 years.

A movie with Avengers + X-Men + Fantastic Four + Deadpool  vs Galactus.  

Marvel will probably get another decade building the new phases. 

A decade ago the Spidey/Pirates/Shrek summer was as big as a box office competition could get and now we have a movie outgrossing their entire runs before dinner time on Sunday.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

That True Friday is something to behold. Incredible, and off of 60M in previews. So far, Endgame is only slightly more frontloaded than Infinity War, which did "only" 39M in previews (38.3% of opening day from previews vs 36.7% for Infinity War). Pretty remarkable.

Estimated Top Midnight/Preview Grosses of All-Time

Rank / Title / Gross / Share of Opening Day

1. Avengers: Endgame — 60.0 million (38.3%)
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens — 57.0 million (47.9%)
  3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 45.0 million (43.0%)
  4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 — 43.5 million (47.7%)
  5. Avengers: Infinity War — 39.0 million (36.7%)
  6. The Dark Knight Rises — 30.6 million (40.4%)
  7. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 — 30.4 million (42.7%)
  8. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 — 30.25 million (42.2%)
  9. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse — 30.1 million (43.9%)
  10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — 29.0 million (40.8%)
  11. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 27.7 million (34.0%)
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 27.6 million (32.7%)
  13. The Twilight Saga: New Moon — 26.27 million (36.1%)
  14. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 25.26 million (35.6%)
  15. Black Panther — 25.2 million (33.2%)

Best Opening True Fridays (i.e. Opening Friday sans Thursday Previews)

1. Avengers: Endgame — 96.7 million   (😲)
  2. Avengers: Infinity War — 67.3 million
  3. Jurassic World — 63.5 million
  4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens — 62.1 million
  5. Marvel's The Avengers — 62.1 million
  6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 59.7 million
  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 56.8 million
  8. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 53.9 million
  9. Iron Man 3 — 53.3 million
  10. Incredibles 2 — 52.8 million
  11. Furious 7 — 51.6 million
  12. Black Panther — 50.7 million
  13. Captain America: Civil War — 50.5 million
  14. Spider-Man 3 — 49.8 million
  15. The Dark Knight — 48.7 million

Peace,

Mike

Endgame be like “let’s just flipped over that number 6 on IW Friday. Make it simple”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I cant imagine what film will even top EG or create this size of sensation in the next 5 or even 10 years.

Pokemon Red/Blue or Pokemon film with Ash, Misty, and Brock + Team Rocket

Super Smash Bros

Or if we want to keep it in house.

X-Men vs Avengers or X-Men + Avengers + Fantastic 4 vs Galactus

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Pokemon Red/Blue or Pokemon film with Ash, Misty, and Brock + Team Rocket

Super Smash Bros

Or if we want to keep it in house.

X-Men vs Avengers or X-Men + Avengers + Fantastic 4 vs Galactus

this will open to 400 million

The Battle of Mt Silver: Red vs Gold

1874937b55b5ba1edfdeb0e2ea1f9b2124a5043c

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

So Endgame has a shot at 100+ million admissions? That blows my mind. The fact it has a shot is crazy.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

As much as I adore Snow White from 1930s, we need something worth it from this century to be in the Top 10 of that list. EG, for what it's worth, is THE film!

10 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

A movie with Avengers + X-Men + Fantastic Four + Deadpool  vs Galactus.  

Marvel will probably get another decade building the new phases. 

Cross all those names out. Angie's starring in Eternals and they're gonna cast Jen as the lead in another flick, and then the crossover...

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

As much as I adore Snow White from 1930s, we need something worth it from this century to be in the Top 10 of that list. EG, for what it's worth, is THE film!

To be fair that list is pretty much garbage. Either grosses or the admissions are way off. Both cant be right. So many cheats and assumptions are made to give us that list.

Just now, Chewy said:

Cross all those names out. Angie's starring in Eternals and they're gonna cast Jen as the lead in another flick, and then the crossover...

Brad Pitt's already Vanisher, now just get Justin Theroux in a starring role in one of these (just don't let him write the script again..)

For anyone that wants to see something cool, go to Google.com and type “Thanos” in the search engine. When you search, there will be an infinity gauntlet in the upper right hand corner. Double click on it.

Edited by Walt Disney

I have been saying since The Force Awakens that this was possible. Nobody believed me. I have been redeemed!! The 300M OW train has arrived at full speed.

biDFHU0.gif?noredirect

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 9