Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

I think people don't like split finales, so giving each movie a separate title helps disguise what's going on to some degree. Divergent tried this with the adaptation of the third book, planning to split it in two and give a different name to Part 2, but Part 1 was such a flop that they never ended up making the next one. Deathly Hallows, Breaking Dawn and Mockingjay Part 1 all experienced dips from the previous movies, correct?

Amazing, historic, unbelievable weekend!

Endgame is more Back to the Future part 3 or Pirates 3 then say DH2 or  Mockingjay 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I remember last year people saying Infinity War would get bad word of mouth just because it ended on a cliffhanger. Lol

I’m one of the guilty (though I forget if it was only on r/boxoffice). I was worried more that kids would be horribly upset by the dusting and that would piss off parents and lead to bad WOM, but it became quickly clear that wasn’t the case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peludo said:

I feel as I am the only one who do not believe in the emotional side of Endgame and still prefer IW as a better film.

Said this: Avatar is done. Welcome $3b world...

I’m still processing End Game, so I am on the fence as to whether I feel the same as you. Although I definitely felt the emotional side, or else there would be nothing to process.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Is Sherlock 3 going to be the first RDJ movie after this? Cause they're probably going to get so much extra dough from people's love/goodwill for him.

I think his next film is The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Is Sherlock 3 going to be the first RDJ movie after this? Cause they're probably going to get so much extra dough from people's love/goodwill for him.

The very much delayed Doctor Dolittle is first, Sherlock Holmes 3 got delayed to 2021.

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

@RtheEnd Any commentary on specific theaters?  Empire 42nd street going for a historic figure at #1 or somewhere else leading the pack?  I remember for TFA the Arclight/Capitan/TCL Chinese trio in LA came out on top.  Any surprises this time around?

46 minutes ago, #ED said:

Lincoln Square has had every screening sold out today. All of them.

Deadline did include some Friday  theatre grosses in article

Interesting tidbits about Friday: four theaters grossed over $300K (AMC Empire NY 364K, AMC LSQ 362K, AMC Orange 347K, & Regal Spectrum Irvine 309K); 32 venues made over $200k; 111 playdates grossed over $150K, while 326 runs made over $100K. The lowest-grossing theater was the Regent in Allegan, MI, and it made $228.

Lincoln Square only 2k behind Empire 25, thing of cause Empire 25 has the E-walk directly across the road from it so when you combine both(Empire was almost 2.5 times what E-walk did). Empire & E-walk combine of cause way above what AIW did. Arclight/Capitan/TCL combined huge  Arclight taking lion share but all three huge. Ontario Mills + Palace is up there with Empire+E-walk 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Sam said:

Welcome back. I feel like the “thirsty over Cap” fan club is not as complete without you 

No faults of @TalismanRing and @captainwondyful of course. 

Look, I am not saying I spent the whole IMAX Lincoln Center showing staring at his ass... I am just saying that screen is so big...

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Maybe it’s not because I’m a franchise/studio cheerleader but am annoyed with the direction Disney is pushing the film industry, and stuff like soulless remakes bombing incentivizes studios to try something different with their big budget tentpoles.

Disney is risking a lot of money on movies that may or may not be a hit when it comes to the remakes but they are playing the long game. They are risking to get to red for a long-term gain.

Also, as someone who majored in marketing, Disney is obviously doing remakes for the new generation. Their target market will always be children because that is where they get their money and that is where they can establish their brand, which will last a person's lifetime if things go their way. You probably grew up with their Disney classics or 2D animation, but this new generation did not. And this new generation grew up with 3D characters and great CGI as the norm. 2D animation has become somewhat stale for them compared to the other wondrous things technology has brought to them. Disney is trying to capture this new generation with their remakes through live-action and CGI because, as earlier reiterated, they grew up with CGI and 3D. And when they manage to capture their audience, the Disney brand will continue existing until a new generation comes along for them to work their magic again. It has always been the long game for Disney. 

Don't blame Disney for playing their game right. No one's stopping other studios (some owned by bigger fishes than Disney) to be successful. That is up to them. Disney's brand strategy is not exactly a secret.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

If Endgame is on a trajectory for a finish in the mid-high $900 million range, I think Disney should do everything in their power to push it to $1 billion and make history. I was surprised they didn't try with TFA to be honest. There probably won't be another chance like this again for a very long time.

I will be unpopular here, but I do not think EG deserves that merit. MCU maybe, but not this film. Just an opinion, of course.

Edited by peludo
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Even my mother loved it, and is giving serious consideration to seeing it again next weekend. I know for a fact she hasn't seen a movie twice at the theaters in my lifetime. 

Underestimated it again, never learn, etc.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The deed is done. 

I was here for a 300mn Dom and 1000 WW OW. That will be done by good 20% and 30% margin each.

The film is set to beat Avatar, that I didn't even hope for.

Now what I am gonna do, I have an exam to give. So no more tracking from me till mid-June.

Meet you on other side.

Oh Charlie you have been really awesome poster and not only someone who gives us early numbers. I wish you well on the exams. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The deed is done. 

I was here for a 300mn Dom and 1000 WW OW. That will be done by good 20% and 30% margin each.

The film is set to beat Avatar, that I didn't even hope for.

Now what I am gonna do, I have an exam to give. So no more tracking from me till mid-June.

Meet you on other side.

Good luck with your exam.

You have been awesome these last weeks :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ZackM said:

If my area is any indication, Sunday should see a not insignificant drop.  About a 10% reduction in total screenings, none of them are sold out, and some of the really late showings have no tickets sold.  Not all that surprising.

Opposite here, its weaker than Saturday, but already significantly stronger than Friday at the same point.