Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

6 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

Deadline did include some Friday  theatre grosses in article

Interesting tidbits about Friday: four theaters grossed over $300K (AMC Empire NY 364K, AMC LSQ 362K, AMC Orange 347K, & Regal Spectrum Irvine 309K); 32 venues made over $200k; 111 playdates grossed over $150K, while 326 runs made over $100K. The lowest-grossing theater was the Regent in Allegan, MI, and it made $228.

Lincoln Square only 2k behind Empire 25, thing of cause Empire 25 has the E-walk directly across the road from it so when you combine both(Empire was almost 2.5 times what E-walk did). Empire & E-walk combine of cause way above what AIW did. Arclight/Capitan/TCL combined huge  Arclight taking lion share but all three huge. Ontario Mills + Palace is up there with Empire+E-walk 

I've also noticed in the past 2 years, they finally both play the same movies(Empire and E-Walk). Go figure Empire is doing well, considering they found Bed Bugs a few months ago.

I wonder where the AMC Metreon fits in there. Also, I wonder about Regal Hacienda Crossings (Dublin, CA) since it’s one of those megaplexes that has IMAX and PLF but no recliners. I’d think the theaters without recliners would make more money since they have more seats available.

Edited by TServo2049

18 minutes ago, ZackM said:

If my area is any indication, Sunday should see a not insignificant drop.  About a 10% reduction in total screenings, none of them are sold out, and some of the really late showings have no tickets sold.  Not all that surprising.

Yeah, same where I live. I think this is where the 3 hour run time combined with schools not being out yet is proving to be an obstacle. Weeknights are probably going to be impacted as well. Could this lead to a 175M+ second weekend? If the hold is like Avengers 1... yes!

6 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

The lowest-grossing theater was the Regent in Allegan, MI, and it made $228.

Wow...that's right down the road from me.  It's a single screen and only had one showing on Friday for $4.  That means it only sold 57 tickets.  That's insane because it seats like 300 people.

• ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

Interesting tidbits about Friday: four theaters grossed over $300K (AMC Empire NY 364K, AMC LSQ 362K, AMC Orange 347K, & Regal Spectrum Irvine 309K); 32 venues made over $200k; 111 playdates grossed over $150K, while 326 runs made over $100K. The lowest-grossing theater was the Regent in Allegan, MI, and it made $228.

Lincoln Square only 2k behind Empire 25, thing of cause Empire 25 has the E-walk directly across the road from it so when you combine both(Empire was almost 2.5 times what E-walk did). Empire & E-walk combine of cause way above what AIW did. Arclight/Capitan/TCL combined huge  Arclight taking lion share but all three huge. Ontario Mills + Palace is up there with Empire+E-walk 

Thanks!

Yeah I was running rough math in my head to consider if $1M at a single site was possible this weekend.  Looks like the biggest sites may get around $8-900K but not quite there.  Though combinations like Empire/E-Walk and the LA Trio will probably do it.

I remember back in the old days E-Walk and Empire wouldn't always both play the big films together, but for this event that soft agreement seems to have been set aside.

Hope one day more detailed data goes public - would love to see State/City/Theater level ticket revenue breakdowns.

16 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I’m one of the guilty (though I forget if it was only on r/boxoffice). I was worried more that kids would be horribly upset by the dusting and that would piss off parents and lead to bad WOM, but it became quickly clear that wasn’t the case.

I haven't actually seen Infinity War *ducks* but heard about the ending everywhere and Thanos/the snap in all sorts of non-movie contexts, similar to how "The Hunger Games of [x]" permeated the pop culture a few years back.

The .gif of ScarJo in the pool is definitely from He's Just Not That Into You, I watched it again last month not long after this year's Oscars, her storyline with Bradley Cooper was much funnier to me now than back in 2009. Very glad rom-coms I'm making a real come back and have stopped being a bunch of Love Actually wannabes.

• Founder / Operator
1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

Checked out my theater for tomorrow. 70 showings. Mostly sold out until 10ishPM. Even early morning showings are mostly sold out.

Is it possible Sunday may only slightly drop from Saturday?

Sub-20% drop wouldn't shock me. I'm seeing near-sellouts for evening shows on Sunday near me. And this is a big family theater.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Disney is risking a lot of money on movies that may or may not be a hit when it comes to the remakes but they are playing the long game. They are risking to get to red for a long-term gain.

Also, as someone who majored in marketing, Disney is obviously doing remakes for the new generation. Their target market will always be children because that is where they get their money and that is where they can establish their brand, which will last a person's lifetime if things go their way. You probably grew up with their Disney classics or 2D animation, but this new generation did not. And this new generation grew up with 3D characters and great CGI as the norm. 2D animation has become somewhat stale for them compared to the other wondrous things technology has brought to them. Disney is trying to capture this new generation with their remakes through live-action and CGI because, as earlier reiterated, they grew up with CGI and 3D. And when they manage to capture their audience, the Disney brand will continue existing until a new generation comes along for them to work their magic again. It has always been the long game for Disney. 

Don't blame Disney for playing their game right. No one's stopping other studios (some owned by bigger fishes than Disney) to be successful. That is up to them. Disney's brand strategy is not exactly a secret.

What a great post from someone who is educated on the subject. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

W....w..what do those people in Allegan do for fun

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, #ED said:

I've also noticed in the past 2 years, they finally both play the same movies(Empire and E-Walk). Go figure Empire is doing well, considering they found Bed Bugs a few months ago.

Location > hygiene.

9 minutes ago, #ED said:

Glad you said that about the bed bugs after I saw End Game there yesterday and not before. It might have distracted me from the movie.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, #ED said:

I think those two stop doing exclusivities a while back, same applies with the likes of the Leicester Square cinemas in London.

15 minutes ago, peludo said:

I will be unpopular here, but I do not think EG deserves that merit. MCU maybe, but not this film. Just an opinion, of course.

I 100% agree. I saw it today. It was, um, "good-ish" but IW was so much better. BP and IM1 are galaxies ahead of this. The movie had TONS of problems and was kind of a big mess in most of it.

It won't beat TFA's domestic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

Glad you said that about the bed bugs after I saw End Game there yesterday and not before. It might have distracted me from the movie.

I no longer attend Empire screenings. Considering I work 2 blocks away from Lincoln Square, much better location for me. Also, Lincoln Square I still believe is the best theater in the city, not even mentioning the IMAX screen of course.

• Like 3